Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question about the weather

Question about the weather

Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about the weather

Originally Posted by helinuk
Markk

Weatherwise I like the sound of Northland, Tauranga for sun/warm/beach/facilities
and Welly for a city of theatre /drama school for daughter. How do we decide especially as we haven't got a job to go to?
We fancied living in Northland or Tauanga for the weather, but jobs weren't to easy to get in them areas. We decide on Wellington more opportunities there, and we love it here.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paladin
Geez Mark, that sure is a hell of a lot of rain - now I see how that situation occurred last year(?) with the mud slides etc in that area!!

Wow!!!

Still sounds more than offset by the extra sunshine hours to me!!!

Maybe see you in Feb matey!!!

Dave
Hi Dave,
Yes, you can still see evidence of the slides around town. They are revamping the storm drains and everything though so hopefully won't happen again!
You'll be pleased to know it's another beautiful day here. 11am and 25 degrees, sun blazing down.....
Let me know when you're here! They have dive shops in town so there must be a fair bit of it going on here.
Mark
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helinuk
Markk
many thanks for all those figures. I've been meaning to look those up. Amazing rainfall! How do the locals cope? We were used to heavy rain in Singapore -the drains there were huge to cope with a monsoon downpour. Is there good drainage inTauranga? What are the council doing about the landslides?

Weatherwise I like the sound of Northland, Tauranga for sun/warm/beach/facilities
and Welly for a city of theatre /drama school for daughter. How do we decide especially as we haven't got a job to go to?
Hi Helinuk,
It seems to chuck it down very quickly that's for sure! They have a plan to upgrade the storm drains which is now ongoing. Tauranga is quite hilly so you end up with all the water rushing down the hills. I guess where people have cleared hill sides to build has added to the problem with water run off.
As far as jobs to go to, depends what you do?
We are both in IT but have made a 'lifestyle' choice to come to Tauranga.
We intend to go it alone doing something..... (any ideas?). Looking in the businesses for sale a few months ago, there was a brothel for sale...!!!
You'll probably find drama schools and the like go, you'll probably find them easier to come by than you think. Lot's of schools do 'out of school' programs for things like that. We were quite keen for our two daughters to do dance like they did in the UK. Now we are here they are doing tennis, pippins and lot's of other things instead even though there is a dance school just round the corner.
Good luck,
Mark
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Dave,
Yes, you can still see evidence of the slides around town. They are revamping the storm drains and everything though so hopefully won't happen again!
You'll be pleased to know it's another beautiful day here. 11am and 25 degrees, sun blazing down.....
Let me know when you're here! They have dive shops in town so there must be a fair bit of it going on here.
Mark
Hi Mark,

Great to be hearing from you again - you seem to be settling in really well - won't be long and the first year will be coming round!

look forward to seeing you in Feb!!!!

Dave
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I lived on the South Coast in UK, now on North Shore. The temperatures you get for Auckland are taken from down by the airport so they rarely reflect the actual temperatures all over the area.
Summer is definitely hotter and lasts longer, winters are fairly mild, I do have a jacket but only wear it if I'm out at night or walking to work. You do get a breeze if you are by the sea, but its a welcome breeze in my opinion!
I love the rain, which is a good thing
Just look at the NZ pics page, its all green and beautiful and it doesn't get like that without a generous rainfall!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Hey up mate

Notts boy here- Have you managed to get any further north- Whangarei- if so is there much difference between the 2?

Cheers me duck
I've only been oop north for holidays, so it would be unfair to compare as holiday weather always seems better than at home You know, like how Skegness always seems nicer than Nottingham, but really they're the same, except one's got a beach!

Whereabout in Notts are you from then? We used to live in Old Basford, just north of the city...

Pixiedust would be the one to ask about weather in Northland, although they're forever telling us that it's gloriously sunny and hot - even in midwinter!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:45 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Just look at the NZ pics page, its all green and beautiful and it doesn't get like that without a generous rainfall!
Speak for yourself - the east coast of the South Island has been very dry over the winter, and only recent late spring rains have alleviated drought risks (a bit).

1. London
2. Dunedin
3. Milder on average - warmer winters, cooler summers than the UK, and much less cloud all year around. In NZ you can also have wonderful long fine spells in the middle of winter, and wicked southerly storms in the middle of summer. As Crowded House sang "Four Seasons in One Day.."

And as an old poster DeeDee would always say, there are lots of little micro climates, so its best not to try to generalise about the weather.

Just expect it to be different, its part of the landscape if you will.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by southerner
..................And as an old poster DeeDee would always say, there are lots of little micro climates, so its best not to try to generalise about the weather.

Just expect it to be different, its part of the landscape if you will..........
That sounds like VERY good advice. Where we live in the Five Valleys area of the Cotswolds it is very much that way too!!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting you are all echoing the comments we used to get on forum about weather in Melbourne: '4 seasons in a day' and 'wait 5 minutes' etc.....
perhaps I should go compare Melbourne and NZ weather, some people say Welly and Melbourne are similar? Anyone with first hand knowledge?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Helinuk,
It seems to chuck it down very quickly that's for sure! They have a plan to upgrade the storm drains which is now ongoing. Tauranga is quite hilly so you end up with all the water rushing down the hills. I guess where people have cleared hill sides to build has added to the problem with water run off.
As far as jobs to go to, depends what you do?
We are both in IT but have made a 'lifestyle' choice to come to Tauranga.
We intend to go it alone doing something..... (any ideas?). Looking in the businesses for sale a few months ago, there was a brothel for sale...!!!
You'll probably find drama schools and the like go, you'll probably find them easier to come by than you think. Lot's of schools do 'out of school' programs for things like that. We were quite keen for our two daughters to do dance like they did in the UK. Now we are here they are doing tennis, pippins and lot's of other things instead even though there is a dance school just round the corner.
Good luck,
Mark
Thanks for your reply Mark.
The drama 'school' in Welly is really a 'College/uni'. It is at degree standard. They sent her a friendly email yesterday and are sending the prospectus by post. Fortunately she wants to do stage management not acting so there are less students after the places.
Helen