Reload this Page >

Question about Importation Restrictions

Question about Importation Restrictions

Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

blue_pearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Importation Restrictions

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while but have finally signed up. Myself and the boyfriend are moving to Auckland in January (flights are booked).

Theres one or two things I had planned on bringing over with us that I'm now thinking are not permitted (from this: http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx )

Items are:

- tea
- crisps (yes, I know!)
- hiking boots.

Am I correct in saying that all these are prohibited? Would a new pair of hiking boots (complete with receipt) be acceptable? (I've seen elsewhere on the site that hiking gear is very expensive in NZ).

Thanks everyone in advance (and thanks for such a great forum generally - it's been very helpful over the last few months!)
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Question about Importation Restrictions

Boots - If they are for yourself they will be ok - lots of people come here to go hiking and not all of them buy brand new gear when they arrive.
Clean your boots if you intend to break them in before you come - Customs will pick up on any dirt you bring in, had this problem with football boots.

As long as you declare everything, even the most trivial of items you should be ok, Customs might remove them from you but you would not receive a fine.

Most of the supermarkets sell UK tea, crisps and sweets but at a premium.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding hiking boots, concern is that if you've been hiking somewhere else in the world, and not cleaned off the boots, then hike in NZ, that you could be introducing something unwanted into the environment. If your purchasing boots and not planning on wearing them beforehand, shouldn't be a problem. There's a large number of tourists who visit for camping/tramping. If you couldn't bring gear with you, would dramatically cut down on those numbers

When I last flew in to Auckland, I was asked to remove my tramping boots (I always wear my boots on the plane - I can easily replace just about anything I bring on vacation, but my broken-in pair of boots is not one of them). INZ agent inspected the bottoms and sent me on my way.

Others can better tell you with regards to tea and crisps
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, hiking boots are fine but they do like to check them. So give them a really thorough clean and you'll be fine.

Declare any food stuffs even if they are not restricted, most foods that have been bought in a shop are ok so you shouldn't have any problems with tea or crisps. After all, these things are imported anyway and people often bring them back as gifts! I'd have thought the main problem with crisps would be getting them here without them getting crushed

If they're not happy with anything then they'll remove it from you but you won't get fined as long as you've declared it. I'd bring unopened packets as well,
The staff are generally quite friendly and sensible, just make sure you don't accidentally leave some fruit or other banned food in your bag!
Oh and the food dogs are very cute!

And finally, welcome to BE! Happy posting
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

I told them I had powered coffee in my bag and they told me it was fine and put it through the scanner, never even opened it. I had two pairs of cleaned boots in there too, which I presume they saw on the scanner and didnt care.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

declare the food items and they'll be fine as long as there is no beef stuff in there.
boots will be fine as long as they are clean, if in doubt tell declare everything.
I brought my boots over and also shipped all my camping gear including tents over.
I don't get the crisps thing, crisps are crisps, but they do have walkers here if you get desperate
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
declare the food items and they'll be fine as long as there is no beef stuff in there.
boots will be fine as long as they are clean, if in doubt tell declare everything.
I brought my boots over and also shipped all my camping gear including tents over.
I don't get the crisps thing, crisps are crisps, but they do have walkers here if you get desperate
Currently in the UK munching through a Walkers mountain Next week I'm back in Aus where crisps are different A true crisp expert will soon tell you that unless NZ potatoes are the same varities that you get in the UK, the crisps will be different. Aus potatoes are different varieties from UK ones, and the crisps are definitely different - plus they put weaker vinegar on the S&V ones, and there are far fewer flavours - I am savouring prawn cocktail ones at present over here, can't get them in Aus at all. For those of us who crave crisps like some people crave chocolate, the UK is crisp heaven
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:46 am
Just Joined

blue_pearl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the helpful (and extremely prompt) replies!

I completely appreciate that the crisp query makes me sound a bit crazy but I've lived abroad before and know what I miss when I'm not at home.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue_pearl
Thanks everyone for the helpful (and extremely prompt) replies!

I completely appreciate that the crisp query makes me sound a bit crazy but I've lived abroad before and know what I miss when I'm not at home.

Thanks again!
Not crazy at all, I know exactly how you feel!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

They might ask to see your boots, if they are clean you'll be fine, can always waft a bit of Jeyes fluid over them.
Declare all food, it's much easier that way. Crisps and tea are fine. I usually get asked "What did you bring the family?"
Fruit, dairy, honey and meat a total no no x
Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Clean your boots with Jeyes fluid and when they smell it and know they've been cleaned
We bought all ours over in air freight and although we had to fill out cleaning delclartion forms everything was fine
Old Nov 8th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are strict, just declare everything. When we recently came back into NZ from hols in Brisbane, we dutifully declared the Cadbury's UK cakes (we'd brought over there that you can't get in NZ) and the fact we'd been to Australia zoo as per the forms, but were surprised to be called over by customs after they x-rayed our hand luggage.

They said there were 3 pieces of fruit in the bottom of my son's bag....we assured them there wasn't, they opened the bag to reveal 3 toy juggling balls but they'd come up on the x-ray as organic matter