Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

Old Nov 1st 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light
Default What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

We are planning another stint in NZ again at the moment, which has got me thinking about the things I miss about over here when I'm over there.

One of those is the UK radio stations, this will definitely expose me as a boring old fuddy duddy, but I miss radio 2 (during the weekday) and radio 4 (in the evening and at weekends). KCC FM doesn't really hit the right spot!

Getting supper isn't the same without the archers and front row (it's an inherited defect, I confess, I grew up with my mother doing the same)!

I just wondered what people liked on the radio in NZ, and if they found any replacements for their favourite presenters/programmes?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:23 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

hi. I listen to radio 1 via the Internet. Love dancing around the flat to coxy.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

NZ Radio here is a bit like NZ TV, bloody awful.

I just listen to podcasts of all my favourite radio shows from back home and at work I sometimes stream UK radio like XFM and 6Music.

If you look at the top podcasts in NZ you'll see plenty of British shows, so I'm not alone in thinking NZ radio is gash and full of advertising.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to Classic Hits, Peter Dakin on my dog walks but when it fades out have to listen to just my music downloaded on to the phone. In the car we just have CD's on
Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

i listen to the rock. best station in nz. Uk radio now seems boring and samey compared to the choice of stations you get here. i am talking FM, i know theres better choice if you have DAB at home, i.e. planet rock.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to Radio National which is a bit Radio-4-y. Sometimes George FM (Auckland dance music radio). I listen to BBC Radios 4 and 5 online too - I'm another one who listens to the Archers and Front Row, just at breakfast time instead of in the evening
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand nz radio stations, full of juvenile DJs with oversized egos and very little to talk about.
I listen to Jeremy Vine religiously every afternoon! I sometimes tune in to radio live but hate the opinionated talk show hosts. Dare to disagree and you are cut off pronto!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the chicken man on 97FM

Perhaps 97FM no longer exists either???
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

I'll give Radio National a try. I download podcasts and a good collection of audio books as well.

I like news and current affairs, as well as politics, I think I miss the range of those sort of programmes, but that feature NZ politics and current affairs as I'm more interested in southern hemisphere perspectives and politics when I'm over there.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

We really struggle to get good reception on the radio here, either in the car or in the house. Enjoy The Rock and The Edge if we can. Our DAB radio from the UK didn't work here We listen to lots of our cds instead and the kids listen to Radio 1 via their laptops!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pom4gud
I'll give Radio National a try. I download podcasts and a good collection of audio books as well.

I like news and current affairs, as well as politics, I think I miss the range of those sort of programmes, but that feature NZ politics and current affairs as I'm more interested in southern hemisphere perspectives and politics when I'm over there.
I always used to listen to Radio 4 in the UK.

Here, Radio New Zealand National provides a similar service in terms of news and current affairs and they are OK at it.

For comedy, I download the shows from the Radio 4 website. For drama I go without.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 8:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Radio National is decent enough for car listening and keeps you in touch with politics, etc. The Radio NZ Concert station is like Radio 3 in the UK and also pretty decent. If you like Radio 2 maybe some of the more local stations might work? My husband is a late night Radio 1 fan and he has discovered that in Hamilton he can get KFM (Auckland based), which can be pretty decent, and George FM that has Afro funk sessions, etc- if you can tolerate the adverts (often for strip clubs etc).

But like lots of people, at home my radio listening tends to be via the internet: The Archers, The Infinite Monkey Cage, Woman's Hour, From Our Own Correspondent, etc, all remain relevant while living in NZ. Husband listens to UK late night music shows online too.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 10:55 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

Radio New Zealand National on the wireless or Radio 4 as a podcast.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I also listen to the BBC World Service which is broadcast on MW here in Auckland - lots of news and current affairs though obviously worldwide, not just NZ. Also good for documentaries, arts and business programmes etc.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pom4gud
I'll give Radio National a try. I'm more interested in southern hemisphere perspectives and politics when I'm over there.
Most of the guests on Radio NZ National (poor man's Radio 4) talk about their recent trip overseas to London lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.