Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Q's at job interview

Q's at job interview

Old May 27th 2015, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Brandysal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Q's at job interview

I have just had a job interview for a part time admin role, 2 bloke took the interview and both of them said they had 2 concerns if they employed me. The first was my accent with regards to people understanding me on the phone, the other was if my child was sick and I had to take time off work (I am from Yorkshire and have a 2yr old son). Are they allowed to ask this? Is this not discrimination? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 27th 2015, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q's at job interview

I don't know employment law in NZ but the rules as to what they can ask at interviews is probably different. The sick child thing, and women getting pregnant are always concerns for employers, especially small ones where you are a large percentage of the work force.
In UK , yes it probably may be classed as discrimination but there are ways of asking the same questions without breaking the law! All employers there know how to get around the "sticky' points! Just my POV. Good luck with the job!
Old May 27th 2015, 1:03 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

think its a bit rude and is probably against the rules but hopefully you put them in their place and say you as well as any other employee would cope with the any time of sickness be it you or your nearest and dearest.
as for the accent there is nothing you can do about that and it may be a requirement of the job that you can provide a clear dialogue so that would not be against the law.

I know that if I come across someone I can't understand on a service line I ask to speak to someone else.
Old May 27th 2015, 3:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

For the purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are—

family status, which means—
(i)having the responsibility for part-time care or full-time care of children or other dependants; or
(ii)having no responsibility for the care of children or other dependants; or
(iii)being married to, or being in a civil union or de facto relationship with, a particular person; or
(iv)being a relative of a particular person:

Looks like it is illegal.

I would be tempted to answer the question, 'my husband stays home to look after the kid'. Should you need to have time off later you can always say he changed his mind. They wouldn't sue, because they shouldn't have asked the question in the first place. To be frank, most savvy recruiters won't ask outright, but will assume that you will need time off and not give you the job if there is someone else as good who won't have the same issue. The other issue is, will you be wanting maternity leave next for your next child? They probably won't ask, but just assume.

On the accent front, I remember as a kiwi starting work in London, an agent said to me 'don't worry, you'll lose your accent'. I was a bit miffed about this but didn't say anything. Anyway, it turned out to be a positive feature because I got a sales role and lots of people wanting to know where I was from, and did I know such and such from Tauranga etc. Turned out to be a real positive. I think the English accent is pretty well regarded here, so long as you don't come across as a winging pom!
Old May 27th 2015, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think a yorkshire accent is easier to understand than some of the maori and pacific islanders i've had on the phone.

My ex wife had the same issue when we lived in Australia in the early 90's, she went for so many nursing jobs and said
you could see them physically crossing her name off when she said she had a 1 year old son.

Definitely seems unfair but this is NZ so not sure if its illegal
Old May 27th 2015, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's Kiwi employers for you, couldn't generally give a rats about what is right or wrong. I'd give that one a wide berth.

It's very weird how people here like to make a big deal about not understand the accents of anyone from overseas - which is utterly ridiculous considering the amount of UK expats that live and work here.

Go to any hospital, shop or public service and you'll hear pommie accents abound; then there's the TV and movies they are continually exposed to - from oop and down the country.

Every time you switch on the TV there they are with a variety of accents from Broadchurch to Ross Kemp on Gangs and all that jazz, Neil Oliver from Coast, Eastenders, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Graham Norton, Jeremy Kyle, Kevin McCloud, Ant & Dec, Kirsty & Phil, Britains Got Talent and endless repeats of Top Gear. They don't seem to struggle to understand Jeremy Clarkson, so no reason why anyone should struggle to understand you.
Old May 28th 2015, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Brandysal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for all the advice and responses. I Think I may point this out to them when I tell them to stick their job up their....

Last edited by Brandysal; May 28th 2015 at 4:03 am. Reason: Spelling error
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked in an interview what my family intentions were! I now know they are not meant to ask that sort of question!! I had no answer for that and pretty much made something up there and then! Not surprised I didn't hear back, but honestly i'd have been uncomfortable working there as it felt if I had fallen pregnant i'd have no job to come back to! Whereas my employer now I couldn't be more secure and I feel relaxed for the future!
Accent seems an odd one... Many people think i'm irish but couldn't sound less irish, I don't mind though, most of the time I thank them on the phone!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've been asked in a roundabout way about children and mobility for job at every interview I've ever been at. Too old for kids now but it still annoys me when I'm asked if I can move around the country for my job and men aren't.