Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:03 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Originally Posted by davros1984
After speaking with ANZ they were very clear that we'd have to be eligible for the welcome home scheme to qualify for a 90% mortgage - which we are not. They require us to have a 20% deposit. ASB have also said the same.

They also said that even if we did somehow get the nod for 90%, that we would be penalised with higher rates.

Maybe I need to look at other banks, but even so, with prices the way they are - it doesn't seem realistic.

Bellasmum - all good and all forgiven, sorry for my earlier outburst.

To me it is clear, NZ only want you here if you are stinking rich i.e. an investor. There is no incentive to get younger familes, successful people etc (especially doctors) onto the housing ladder.

My partner is a nurse and she's had conversations with the doctors at work. Most of those doctors who don't have property here are already planning their move overseas. Secondly, the doctors who have houses have made it clear that they couldn't buy a house in today's market (as subjective as that is).

RedDragon - message me when you're here, a coffee or beer, as well as a bitch about the current state of things! Otherwise all is good, I hope I've made it clear that I do actually really like NZ. I will miss my trips to Waikato stadium.
I agree with the bit about only wanting investors in NZ, shutting 1st home buyers will not lower the prices of houses at all, but what it will do is allow more houses available for the investors, many of whom are not even living here or have no association with nz at all. What scares me is if there is a whole generation of renters, then what will these people do when they reach retirement age as they won't have an asset, and without a job how will they pay rent? The argument is that in many european countries such as switzerland and sweden they rent as well and don't buy, but isn't the difference there that they guarantee you a good standard of living in old age?
Apparently if you are living here you just have to roll over and put up with overseas investors ruling the roost and then on talk back radio they will quickly change the subject and talk about "something positive" such as how kiwis are the happiest in the world or some such thing - ( me tearing hair out, grabbing another glass of wine!) ha ha

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Oct 1st 2013 at 9:16 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
I agree with the bit about only wanting investors in NZ, shutting 1st home buyers will not lower the prices of houses at all, but what it will do is allow more houses available for the investors, many of whom are not even living here or have no association with nz at all. What scares me is if there is a whole generation of renters, then what will these people do when they reach retirement age as they won't have an asset, and without a job how will they pay rent? The argument is that in many european countries such as switzerland and sweden they rent as well and don't buy, but isn't the difference there that they guarantee you a good standard of living in old age?
Apparently if you are living here you just have to roll over and put up with overseas investors ruling the roost and then on talk back radio they will quickly change the subject and talk about "something positive" such as how kiwis are the happiest in the world or some such thing - ( me tearing hair out, grabbing another glass of wine!) ha ha
Hopefully Labour can make some changes if they get in.

Labour's commitments
Put 100,000 Kiwi families into their first home through KiwiBuild.
Restrict the ability of non-residents to purchase New Zealand houses.
Require landlords to ensure every rental house in New Zealand is warm and dry.
Create new jobs, 2,000 apprenticeships and give a $2 billion boost to the economy through KiwiBuild.
Introduce a capital gains tax to take pressure off house prices.
Introduce a National Policy Statement to ensure Councils are more likely to approve projects involving affordable housing.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westie1234
There is already capital gains tax on property

Its been around for decades but just not enforced as it should be.

It was either section 67 or 72 of the income tax act if anyone was wanting to check.

It specifies liability when property purchased on speculation or where land value goes up for various abnormal reasons i.e. rezoning from commercial to residential.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Labour's commitments
Create new jobs, 2,000 apprenticeships and give a $2 billion boost to the economy through KiwiBuild.
Introduce a National Policy Statement to ensure Councils are more likely to approve projects involving affordable housing.
Ha ha ha
They could have done all that in the last house price boom that they presided over in around 2004 - 2006!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Labour's commitments
All of which seems eminently sensible. Can't believe they don't have (or don't enforce) capital gains tax on speculative property assets, and that non-residents can buy property.
However, the councils here in the UK are supposed to ensure that developers take account of affordable housing in developments, and still the first time buyers or those on lower incomes (even teachers, nurses etc) find it difficult to get on the property ladder in some regions.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
still the first time buyers or those on lower incomes (even teachers, nurses etc) find it difficult to get on the property ladder in some regions.
Absolutely, the problem exists in both NZ and UK, people I know in St Albans, Herts are struggling to get onto the property ladder and hardly surprising when 2 bed flats are selling for the equivalent of $600,000: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes...-39779818.html These are 15 mins walk from the station, so you're looking at least an hour's commute to London.

Much as people would like to, not everyone can move to cheaper areas of either country because of work. Not sure what the answer is though. In NZ, it would certainly help to encourage companies away from Auckland and also improve public transport.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

well that is utter madness, just as bad as the idiots here paying vastly more inflated sums of money for a property like that. there are many lovely properties within a 10 mile radius of St Albans where you can get a lot more house for a lot less money, I.e

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?showcase=true
or
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
or
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-43413674.html

certainly I wouldn't be paying 300k for a boxy little flat. sure the problem does exist but at least there is that thing called choice in the UK.

Your ideas on what Auckland needs are spot on as well as greater penalties on landlords.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MOSO
Much as people would like to, not everyone can move to cheaper areas of either country because of work.
Yes.

Not sure what the answer is though. In NZ, it would certainly help to encourage companies away from Auckland and also improve public transport.
Absolutely yes.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:13 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
ASB have got rid of all of there's
No, that's what they've done publicly. What they're telling long term customers is a different story.

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
I agree with the bit about only wanting investors in NZ, shutting 1st home buyers will not lower the prices of houses at all, but what it will do is allow more houses available for the investors
Sadly, I think this is true. I know more than one multiple property owning landlord and their reactions seem to be that this just makes those first homes more affordable to them as there are now heaps fewer young families trying to get on the ladder. I understand trying to cool the market, but that could have been done by looking at property investors, not the least well off aspiring home owners.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly I wouldn't be paying 300k for a boxy little flat. sure the problem does exist but at least there is that thing called choice in the UK.

[/QUOTE]

Neither would I, but I guess the point is that the 2 bed $600,000 box has sold whereas the larger properties which are in much less 'desirable' locations and a long way from public transport haven't.

Isn't that choice available in Auckland too? If you wanted to live over an hour's commute from the central city in a much less desirable/nice area not near public transport options it would cost much less.

There are so many factors - transport, work, schools, socio-economics, desirability and I guess all cities and a lot of towns have the same issues, I still don't think it's a NZ thing. Long gone are the days of getting first time buyer 105% mortgages! Prices in Sydney for example make me go

Last edited by MOSO; Oct 2nd 2013 at 10:59 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:03 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people are pushing their budget to the limit in order to buy a home. It has just been on the news that banks are expecting the home loan interest rates to go up to around 8% in the next two years. With the cost of house prices being so high, 8% can mean a significant increase which may result in people loosing their homes. For an investor it's a win win situation. More houses to buy now and even more re-possessions in the future.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Certainly I wouldn't be paying 300k for a boxy little flat. sure the problem does exist but at least there is that thing called choice in the UK.

Neither would I, but I guess the point is that the 2 bed $600,000 box has sold whereas the larger properties which are in much less 'desirable' locations and a long way from public transport haven't.

Isn't that choice available in Auckland too? If you wanted to live over an hour's commute from the central city in a much less desirable/nice area not near public transport options it would cost much less.

There are so many factors - transport, work, schools, socio-economics, desirability and I guess all cities and a lot of towns have the same issues, I still don't think it's a NZ thing. Long gone are the days of getting first time buyer 105% mortgages! Prices in Sydney for example make me go
I do agree with most of what you say, these issues are global. Although even an hour out of Auckland, houses aren't as cheap as those I listed. Auckland really is severely lacking in comparison in terms of housing choice and public transport.

It is no longer about desirability here for me, although saying that I would prefer to live out of the way i.e. Puke or out west, rather than some pretentious suburb like Epsom or Ellerslie (my idea of hell). Its a case of being able to buy a reasonable enough 3-bed house, not for a ridiculous price that has public transport into the city (Where the commute is an hour or less). That to me is just impossible here.

2 of the houses I listed were in Hemel Hempstead. HH is close to St Albans and has a 30-minute direct train service to London Euston - which is pretty impressive. So the choice of St Albans sounds to be more of a location-desirability issue as opposed to a practical issue.

Last edited by davros1984; Oct 3rd 2013 at 12:53 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I think a lot of people are pushing their budget to the limit in order to buy a home. It has just been on the news that banks are expecting the home loan interest rates to go up to around 8% in the next two years. With the cost of house prices being so high, 8% can mean a significant increase which may result in people loosing their homes. For an investor it's a win win situation. More houses to buy now and even more re-possessions in the future.
Quite right! Here's hoping to 8% interest rates (or higher) as well as someone putting a big fat tax on investors.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

pretentious suburb like Epsom or Ellerslie (my idea of hell)..
Not sure if this is the same Ellerslie I remember - definitely was not the place where people were in a position to be pretentious. Reminds me of a skit in which a BMW driver is looking down on a commodore driver. The Range Rover driver in turn looking down on the BMW driver. The Bus passengers in turn looking down on the Range Rover driver. All in lives perspective.

2 of the houses I listed were in Hemel Hempstead. HH is close to St Albans and has a 30-minute direct train service to London Euston - which is pretty impressive.
Just reminds me of how impressive the infrastructure is back home.Being able to travel from very rural locations to London within 2 or 3 hours. 30 minutes sounds bearable even standing up.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

stop complaining about things, if you dont like it......GO HOME !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.