Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Thank you for your response davro's, even the sting in the tail (are you Scorpion birth sign). I am sorry you feel you can't accept my post to you in the manner it was intended but that is your choice. My aim in here is to be helpful not to cause conflict so I wont comment further. I wish you all the best in whatever your future has in store for you and hope you find whatever it is you are looking for regardless of where that may be.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
Seeing as though I was not able to respond to bellasmum's comments on the other thread, I shall do it here as that was blatantly a statement of intent.

I agree with the comment about my comment on driving, that was meant as a wind-up.
However...
She said:

"By the way you were given some sound advice about good areas more in your price range, have you given them any thought?
I suspect not.
"

For your information, today I spent 3-4 hours down in Pukekohe. I also visited Patumahoe and Waikuku. I will completely admit that I was pleasantly surprised - I could live there. I hope now you have gone and eaten your own words and realised how stupid your comment was.

It took approximately 45 minutes to get there from the central city (which is ok for me). However.... the claims that the new houses are affordable there... again, highly debatable. You live quite a way out of the city and in Patumahoe, the houses there start from $585,000 (even though they advertise them starting from $429,000). That is clearly way above first home buyer territory.

Waiuku however did have a couple under 500K, but you are quite a way from the city there and you've had to live with an hour commute each way in good commute times (let alone rush hour).

There are other 3-bed properties though for sale around the 400K mark that tempt me, but it is quite a commute out. As I said above, if and when the train service gets better - it would be a good option.

After seeing a good majority of the houses there, it makes me realise how stupid people are for paying such money for generally inferior houses (wood and tin rooves) on the shore, out west and the central city.

MarbleP - looking forward to your PM and again, thanks for the recommendations.
Paty is more for lifestyle blocks, Wauiku would of had more than a couple of houses under 500k . My parents and sister live in Waiuku I recently visited the area and stayed for about 5 weeks. The area is a great place for families I was very surprised by the amount of sporting facilities in the area, even has a yatch club.

Yes it is a far from town you would need to drive to the train station or drive all the way in which some people do. I believe most be in the area work at the steel mill but talked to a few who drive into town. I believe the motorway widening project has been brought forward.

Next time I am in town Marblep should have a beer in the Kentish and talk about whinging brits

Last edited by westie1234; Sep 29th 2013 at 12:41 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

My line of work is in IT, specifically infrastructure, planning and design. Thus, 99% of the job opportunities in my field, especially here in NZ are in central Auckland or Wellington. Heck - a lot of the IT jobs that were on the N. Shore have gone south of the bridge now are are in the central city.

I don't think I am being unrealistic
Being in IT why are you not able to work from home? Being in Infrastructure am assuming data centres? Why on earth are they still being built in the city?

Have you looked at what's coming in Whangarei and Albany?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry davros1984 you are not going mad, I agree with you wholeheartedly. You have to live where the jobs are and Auckland is the only large city in nz and is where the majority of the jobs are.
Take for example trendy Ponsonsby which I really like - there is a street off Ponsonby road which has these little cottages, all close together, street facing, iron roofs, I would not mind living in one myself as they are very cute and about 15 years ago they were worth approx $220-300k , but they've got no land and you can see right into the neighbours windows, no privacy; yet it cracks me up no end when one recently sold for $2.7 million and as I walked past it on friday night while walking to my car, there were a whole bunch of students partying up a storm next door! I mean come on, really? How can that price be justified in the house buyers head?
But people will pay that to get into the ponsonby area.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Sep 30th 2013 at 9:20 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Don't worry davros1984 you are not going mad, I agree with you wholeheartedly. You have to live where the jobs are and Auckland is the only large city in nz and is where the majority of the jobs are.
Thank you shockedkiwi, I do not believe I've gone that mad and still feel I am keeping a sensible head in a very overheated market. I also know that I am in a very fortunate position in terms of being able to save cash.

I have been doing some number crunching. We have built up a deposit of just over $30,000. Until October 1st, we would have been able to buy a house somewhere in the region of 450-500K.

With the new requirement - 20% deposit to buy a house for 500K, it will take us until at least April-May 2015 to be able to have a deposit for a house of that value. If the house was 400K it would take us until at least November 2014 to get the required deposit.

Based on that, and the idea of renting for another 1-2 years, and spending $24,000 a year on rent as it is... we have had it. We don't qualify for the government's scheme here as between us we bring in a combined salary above the threshold.

Whereas in the UK - a £15,000 deposit will now allow us to buy a house upto £600K - not that I ever want a mortgage that big. My limit on a house is 200K GBP or 400K NZD.
Whereas I can buy a lovely first time house for 140K like this:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25804704.html

or 200K:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40737218.html

or: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38308354.html

Thank you to everyone for your help, advice and strong words over the past few weeks.

bellasmum - I only gave the strong response as you had assumed that I wouldn't have acted on useful information I was given.

Last edited by davros1984; Sep 30th 2013 at 11:24 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Being in IT why are you not able to work from home? Being in Infrastructure am assuming data centres? Why on earth are they still being built in the city?

Have you looked at what's coming in Whangarei and Albany?
I wish I could explain the question on why they are still being built in the city. My role isn't DC, its project design/install or support type work.

Most IT stuff on the shore (with the exception of rivera) have moved their stuff back into the central city.

The firm I work for now, it is their policy to only recruit in Auckland as they wish to close their Hamilton and CHCH offices down. They will probably keep an element in WLG though. It seems that the skilled people are in Auckland thus companies are generally moving here so that they can select from a larger pool of people and thus not have to pay as much!

I can work from home occasionally, but the 2 firms I have worked for so far in NZ (2 well known IT names) they generally want you to be seen and heard in the office.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

With the new requirement - 20% deposit to buy a house for 500K
There is no new requirement that you MUST have a 20% deposit, the banks have been told to reduce their high LVR loans but not to get rid of them completely. Its true you probably wont get 95% loans anymore but 90% loans are most definitely still being offered.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lisamct
There is no new requirement that you MUST have a 20% deposit, the banks have been told to reduce their high LVR loans but not to get rid of them completely. Its true you probably wont get 95% loans anymore but 90% loans are most definitely still being offered.
ASB have got rid of all of there's
ANZ are keeping the lowest at 10% but with tough conditions
Westpac haven't it seems but the interest rates seem a lot higher than if at 20%

He can't qualify for the welcome home loan (know that feeling )
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
ASB have got rid of all of there's
ANZ are keeping the lowest at 10% but with tough conditions
Westpac haven't it seems but the interest rates seem a lot higher than if at 20%

He can't qualify for the welcome home loan (know that feeling )
What's the welcome home loan?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

but the 2 firms I have worked for so far in NZ (2 well known IT names) they generally want you to be seen and heard in the office.
they wont be well known with that approach much longer.

I will be over in (Akld) December if you are around and want to catch up for a coffee.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
What's the welcome home loan?
http://www.welcomehomeloan.co.nz/

Interest rates have routinely been higher for loans over 80% so that's nothing new, there's also always been a Low Equity Payment fee for the same type of loans, the higher the percentage loaned the higher the fee.

There are several lenders still giving out 90% loans, ASB weren't offering anything over 90% 6 months ago (so before the new recommendations) so I'm not surprised they've gotten even stricter now.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you shockedkiwi, I do not believe I've gone that mad and still feel I am keeping a sensible head in a very overheated market. I also know that I am in a very fortunate position in terms of being able to save cash.

I have been doing some number crunching. We have built up a deposit of just over $30,000. Until October 1st, we would have been able to buy a house somewhere in the region of 450-500K.

With the new requirement - 20% deposit to buy a house for 500K, it will take us until at least April-May 2015 to be able to have a deposit for a house of that value. If the house was 400K it would take us until at least November 2014 to get the required deposit.

Based on that, and the idea of renting for another 1-2 years, and spending $24,000 a year on rent as it is... we have had it. We don't qualify for the government's scheme here as between us we bring in a combined salary above the threshold.

Whereas in the UK - a £15,000 deposit will now allow us to buy a house upto £600K - not that I ever want a mortgage that big. My limit on a house is 200K GBP or 400K NZD.
Whereas I can buy a lovely first time house for 140K like this:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25804704.html

or 200K:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40737218.html

or: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38308354.html

Thank you to everyone for your help, advice and strong words over the past few weeks.

bellasmum - I only gave the strong response as you had assumed that I wouldn't have acted on useful information I was given.
I do hear you davros, I do have empathy for your position and I am sorry I offended you.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisamct
http://www.welcomehomeloan.co.nz/

Interest rates have routinely been higher for loans over 80% so that's nothing new, there's also always been a Low Equity Payment fee for the same type of loans, the higher the percentage loaned the higher the fee.

There are several lenders still giving out 90% loans, ASB weren't offering anything over 90% 6 months ago (so before the new recommendations) so I'm not surprised they've gotten even stricter now.
Lisamct is right you can get 90% loans, Liberty and Resimac get away with it as they are not registered as banks with more on the way apparently.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westie1234
Lisamct is right you can get 90% loans, Liberty and Resimac get away with it as they are not registered as banks with more on the way apparently.
After speaking with ANZ they were very clear that we'd have to be eligible for the welcome home scheme to qualify for a 90% mortgage - which we are not. They require us to have a 20% deposit. ASB have also said the same.

They also said that even if we did somehow get the nod for 90%, that we would be penalised with higher rates.

Maybe I need to look at other banks, but even so, with prices the way they are - it doesn't seem realistic.

Bellasmum - all good and all forgiven, sorry for my earlier outburst.

To me it is clear, NZ only want you here if you are stinking rich i.e. an investor. There is no incentive to get younger familes, successful people etc (especially doctors) onto the housing ladder.

My partner is a nurse and she's had conversations with the doctors at work. Most of those doctors who don't have property here are already planning their move overseas. Secondly, the doctors who have houses have made it clear that they couldn't buy a house in today's market (as subjective as that is).

RedDragon - message me when you're here, a coffee or beer, as well as a bitch about the current state of things! Otherwise all is good, I hope I've made it clear that I do actually really like NZ. I will miss my trips to Waikato stadium.

Last edited by davros1984; Oct 1st 2013 at 6:38 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

I do agree with you about the inner AKL housing market being ridiculous I wouldn't consider buying a house now around central AKL. I am looking around Waiuku. I do hope that Labour get in and make the necessary changes they are talking about.

Last edited by westie1234; Oct 1st 2013 at 7:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.