Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

From a outsider looking in (not yet over there), This does seem to be a very British thing - constant anxiety about house prices... doesn't seem to raise its head as much on other global sites..?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, a lot of strong as well as balanced opinions on this thread.

Whilst we have decided to go home, I can't say I am excited-excited. That is mainly due to the effort of relocating to the other side of the world (once again) and the various initial pain points involved in starting out once again. We are really struggling with "temporary" accommodation as it is our plan to be able to buy a house within 2-3 months of being back (assuming we have jobs by then).

We will either be moving back to the Bristol area or the Leeds area. Bristol is currently preferred as my family are in Cornwall/Devon, whereas my partners family are on the south-coast in sussex.

I have to say though, I am staggered by RENTAL prices in the UK, not so much prices to buy - as that is still pretty cheap. In the areas we are looking, especially in the Bristol region, I am seeing rentals on a property to be double what it would be to service the mortgage (same sort of property and area).

Last edited by davros1984; Oct 28th 2013 at 9:20 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northern Henry
From a outsider looking in (not yet over there), This does seem to be a very British thing - constant anxiety about house prices... doesn't seem to raise its head as much on other global sites..?
Kiwis are very anxious about house prices too. We are after all not talking about IPads but housing for you family that is essential for survival.

Anyway, it is to a certain degree true for Germany where the housing and rental market is much more stable and modest. However, the Bundesbank just shouted a warning about raising house prices. So houses are a worry for everybody just like food prices are.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984

Whilst we have decided to go home, I can't stay I am excited-excited. That is mainly due to the effort of relocating to the other side of the world (once again) and the various initial pain points involved in starting out once again. We are really struggling with "temporary" accommodation as it is our plan to be able to buy a house within 2-3 months of being back (assuming we have jobs by then).

We will either be moving back to the Bristol area or the Leeds area. Bristol is currently preferred as my family are in Cornwall/Devon, whereas my partners family are on the south-coast in sussex.

I have to say though, I am staggered by RENTAL prices in the UK, not so much prices to buy - as that is still pretty cheap. In the areas we are looking, especially in the Bristol region, I am seeing rentals on a property to be double what it would be to service the mortgage (same sort of property and area).
Good luck with your move back!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:34 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we have decided to go home, I can't stay I am excited-excited. That is mainly due to the effort of relocating to the other side of the world (once again) and the various initial pain points involved in starting out once again. We are really struggling with "temporary" accommodation as it is our plan to be able to buy a house within 2-3 months of being back (assuming we have jobs by then).

It will all work out in the end Davros. You've relocated once and you can do it again. Remember its a step forward!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting here watching the Block NZ with my jaw on the floor, mad prices for pretty average sized houses in the emerald city. Greedy bar stewards.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

first 2 didn't get much of a profit.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to come on here and make a new thread about the Block. I haven't watched it all year, but I caught the final auction.

Absolutely shocking a 3 bed wooden house selling for 1 million and 16 dollars. What a stressful and horrible way to buy a house.

I am totally shocked at these idiots who pay these prices, what is in their head???? I really think its beginning to show how insular and isolated some Aucklanders are from reality and the rest of the world.

The thing I laugh at the most is how they go on about how modern it is, all the mod-cons. It has a) a shocking plastic/tin roof b) wooden single glazed windows c) its made of wood and d) the furniture in there is stuff you could buy at Argos (i.e. the table for 150-200 quid).

Mark Smith - not sure if you've agreed or disagreed with me on here, but I hope the Block is proof of how dire and mad Auckland is. Fingers crossed interest rates double or preferably treble.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Mark Smith - not sure if you've agreed or disagreed with me on here, but I hope the Block is proof of how dire and mad Auckland is. Fingers crossed interest rates double or preferably treble
Certainly agree 100% about Auckland prices and the same for most of Chch. But hoping for interest rates to triple and financially ruin people isn't that cool.
I haven't watched the series, but checked in tonight out of a sense of morbid curiosity. The numbers don't seem real and I am currently thinking bad things about real estate agents/auctioneers.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:08 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the whole series.

bit a stab in the back for the guys that got just 25K, they put their heart and soul, sweat and tears in making a lovely family home. 25k for 10wks work for 2 people just doesn't seem worth it.

missed how they got the reserve prices, did they actually say? but yes 900k for a 3 bed then 1.1 odd for another 3 bed less than 100m away is ridiculous
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You can see the houses here;

http://www.bayleys.co.nz/The-Block-NZ

Folks probably won't realise just how cosy these places are; all four are on one section 1C, 1D 1E and 1F so that means somewhere amongst them there is also 1A and 1B. One of them was a relocatable added to the section.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

bit a stab in the back for the guys that got just 25K, they put their heart and soul, sweat and tears in making a lovely family home. 25k for 10wks work for 2 people just doesn't seem worth it.
it is a competition you know with winners and losers
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Justcol
it is a competition you know with winners and losers
really ?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we have decided to go home, I can't say I am excited-excited. That is mainly due to the effort of relocating to the other side of the world (once again) and the various initial pain points involved in starting out once again. We are really struggling with "temporary" accommodation as it is our plan to be able to buy a house within 2-3 months of being back (assuming we have jobs by then).

Not all roses in the UK either :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dlknowles/br...ket-in-gi-fm44
Old Oct 30th 2013, 12:33 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

IRD should tax all of that profit at the appropriate rates as if it was done as work, cause that is what it was.....along with all the other do-er uppers.

If I was paid to do any of it through the books then I'd be taxed, why not them???

/bah humbug/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.