Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by Den13
Ok....Here's the thread I was on about in the Prison Officers topic.

Like I said, I've been in the job 13 years and have spent a fair bit of that in London jails. Here's my VERY early impressions so far of NZ.

The flight was fairly painless, via Singapore. The customs staff are the most vigilant and professional I've met. Considering I landed at midnight, they were really on the ball and are very determined to avoid foreign flora and fauna getting in. If in doubt about anything - don't bring it - it's a potential $200.00 instant fine.

Got to the place I'm staying - a backpackers in central Auckland - and after dumping my gear, hit the bar. I'm travelling alone but from the moment I ended up with a kiwi sat next to me on the plane, I've felt far from alone. A very friendly, open place. I've travelled quite a bit and seen a lot of cities, but it's not often people approach you as readily as they do here.

I've mentioned in the other thread that I'm meeting Scott Gwynne for a beer later in the week and a HR person to have a look at the jails in Wellington, I'll ask about money. Anything else anyone is desperate to know??

So despite several beers, a 24 hour flight, no sleep on the plane, I'm still awake. You gotta love jet lag. Oh well, breakfast here I come!!!

See you all soon.

after reading the title to this thread I expected to read something about prisons in NZ......strange post
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Anne

Have you heard from Malky, OH bald one !!!! by any chance

Dropped him a PM weeks ago, not heard a sniff back

Let me know if you have heard, how he is getting on

Eddie from the big hoose aka the queen hotel or the methadone capital of Europe, yes this jail is now the official, biggest methadone dispender in Europe.

We have over 300 cons all on a daily script !!!!!! only a quarter of the jail numbers.

Eddie

PS dont get me started on meths either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

Know the feeling about meths, I'm a choco-holic, but they dont buy me a bar a chocolat a day.

Have not heard from the bald one yet, although he did get in touch with M Fraser, who works in programmes here and was also his neighbour.

Know he had a family wedding in September and was due to start college then also so might be a bit busy.

I am now just working out when my last day will be, with the leave I got etc. looking good for the middle of December and will be flying out on the 9th January.

Den,

I haven't received any emails regarding them paying for family accommodation or on the course, although I have received one telling me that although Rimutaki ( or however you spell it) has the greater need I could go to the femal jail (AHHHHHH), cant wait to find out so I can pick an area to look for houses, I have two weeks booked at a family unit in a motel in the Kapiti Coast, as I really fancy staying there, but will have to see where they put me to work.

Ann
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:29 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by psb182
after reading the title to this thread I expected to read something about prisons in NZ......strange post

I suppose it depends what slant you put on reading the title...I'm a Prison Officer, and I went to NZ.....Hence the title.
If you read on in the thread about my trials and tribulations, I visit a jail, meet the HR people and discover my love for Ken. WOOF WOOF!! :scared:

@ Ann, I asked Alex about it who forwarded my mail to Diane Aaltonen. I'll pm you her e-mail.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:59 am
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

I suppose it depends what slant you put on reading the title...I'm a Prison Officer, and I went to NZ.....Hence the title.
If you read on in the thread about my trials and tribulations, I visit a jail, meet the HR people and discover my love for Ken. WOOF WOOF!! :scared:

@ Ann, I asked Alex about it who forwarded my mail to Diane Aaltonen. I'll pm you her e-mail.
Things seem to be rapidly moving towards the move. Got hold of crown relocations to get a quote, trying to decide what to take with us.

Most frighteningly of all, I have now booked the flights. :scared: We leave these sunny shores on new years day. Could not think of a more appropriate time to start a new life.

Scott
Old Sep 27th 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Hi Mv555

Thanks for the info. Has your friend gone out to NZ with family or alone. If with family has she said how she found the salry and living costs etc.

Suzanne
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Hi Mv555

Thanks for the info. Has your friend gone out to NZ with family or alone. If with family has she said how she found the salry and living costs etc.

Suzanne
she is quite lucky got no mortgage and hubby has a mechanics job so no money worries if only my move could be like that...its still a mortgage for me
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:13 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Did you all get the e-mail from Ben Burger about start dates?? It may just apply for the Welly region, as he's the HR manager for there......
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Did you all get the e-mail from Ben Burger about start dates?? It may just apply for the Welly region, as he's the HR manager for there......

Yes,

Got the email, what a name, couldn't believe it.

What dates are you going for.

Ann
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:19 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

I did get the e-mail about the start dates but as I'm not going to Welly it wasn't from Ben Dover

We need to start a list so we can see what dates people are choosing
I can't really decide as I haven't sold my house yet so I may have to opt for the one that starts in April and hope Ive sold by then and if we sell earlier i can hopefully change to an earlier date

anyone want to buy a house

K9
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:14 am
Make pumps lots......

I'm going to aim for the 24th Jan I think. The other course is too soon. If thats full I don't mind waiting for he next one - as long as they let me know!!!

Cripes - If I do go on that course It'll be the long planned resignation letter in a couple of months!!...
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

the m family is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to aim for the 24th Jan I think. The other course is too soon. If thats full I don't mind waiting for he next one - as long as they let me know!!!

Cripes - If I do go on that course It'll be the long planned resignation letter in a couple of months!!...
Dear all,

We have been reading all your posts over the last week or so and must say your all a great inspiration and minds of great information. It's reassuring that some 'real screws' are going out to NZ and leaving the madness behind!!
We are due to be going out in January and I will be working at Hawkes Bay (any one else going on here? apparently there will be a total of 15 of us there?!) Had some issues and had some delays so only just submitting our EOI so it's going to be full steam ahead! Is anyone moving out with young children? We have a 2yr old and a 5mth old! Have been reading everyones opinion on the salary issue but I'm hoping that it won't make things too tight for us as a family as we will be lucky enough to be mortgage free.
Thanks to you all for helping us decide it's the right thing to do!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:43 am
Make pumps lots......

Originally Posted by the m family
Dear all,

We have been reading all your posts over the last week or so and must say your all a great inspiration and minds of great information. It's reassuring that some 'real screws' are going out to NZ and leaving the madness behind!!
We are due to be going out in January and I will be working at Hawkes Bay (any one else going on here? apparently there will be a total of 15 of us there?!) Had some issues and had some delays so only just submitting our EOI so it's going to be full steam ahead! Is anyone moving out with young children? We have a 2yr old and a 5mth old! Have been reading everyones opinion on the salary issue but I'm hoping that it won't make things too tight for us as a family as we will be lucky enough to be mortgage free.
Well. A hearty welcome to you!!!

Everyone is really friendly here so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Perhaps see you there??!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:55 am
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by the m family
Dear all,

Welcome the M family

We are also going to Hawkes Bay and we have a son aged 6 months ( not looking forward to the flight ) we have our visas and will be off as soon as we sell our house

It looks like we will be spending another Christmas in this dump of a country unless we get a buyer soon

Hope it all goes well with your E.O.I and see you in Hawkes Bay

K9

Last edited by K9s; Oct 1st 2005 at 10:02 am.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:16 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

We are off to Christchurch in January 2006. We have our visas and have accepted an offer on our house yesterday.....great timing !!! Just hope it does not fall through!!!!
Our course is meant to start in Wellington on 20th February 2006.
A mutual friend of ours is out in NZ having a look around and she is going to Hawkes Bay. If I get some info from her I will let u all know...

Bye bye BABM.........

Taff.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:31 am
Just Joined

the m family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by K9s
Welcome the M family

We are also going to Hawkes Bay and we have a son aged 6 months ( not looking forward to the flight ) we have our visas and will be off as soon as we sell our house

It looks like we will be spending another Christmas in this dump of a country unless we get a buyer soon

Hope it all goes well with your E.O.I and see you in Hawkes Bay

K9
Thanks guys,

So know what you mean about the flight K9, flights that long with kids is scary!!! Have you decided which airline you'll be flying with? Still trying to find out about suitable rental in the area and not sure how were going play the wellington course issue because we don't want to split the family for that long after emigrating. Haven't sold the house yet so we really are behind and it sounds like you,Den, and alot of the others are already sorted!
Holding on to the fact that it could be our last Christmas in this country A relative said she didnt know how we would find not spending Christmas in the cold, as that was how its meant to be!!! Yeah, real hardship!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.