Postal Service

Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Postal Service

Last night I was advised that I'd missed a birthday in the UK as no card received. I know it was posted as it was especially selected, stamped in the local post shop and paid to have air-mail service.

Card was posted late March.

Is this a common event?

Thankfully no money or other inside the card.

No Christmas cards this year to the UK as too expensive.

Last edited by snaps; Apr 28th 2014 at 9:37 pm. Reason: Updated missing info.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal Service

Have you tried Moonpig.com?
We have used them numerous times since arriving here.
Safe secure delivery, only downside is you obviously can't send money.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I bought my 2yr old nephew a $10 T-shirt, cost $12 to post to UK, what!!!!!
I have had letters sent here and not arrive and one letter opened, again lucky nothing was in it.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cards i sent from nelson April 1st arrived in the UK yesterday
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Madness innit, I used to send kids stuff but don't see the point now in buying stuff that's made in China and paying good money to send it back half way around the world. I only send online gifts; Thorntons chocs / flowers or vouchers and gift cards from M&S and the likes and save near to $10 not buying and posting a card.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

Another point to note is never put true value on custom label - daughter sent a cricket shirt for her brother's birthday costing her $80 ( I think) and then when arrived it cost us another £18 to collect it from Royal Mail - £8 import duties and £10 for their paperwork!
Never had any problems with letters/cards but a couple of early parcels I sent when she first moved to Auckland were opened by NZ customs but they sealed them back and put their inspection label on.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Small packet sent from Canada took 3 months to finally arrive .

Letter sent from the UK took 4 weeks. No idea why.
Old May 1st 2014, 12:25 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
The Christmas parcel I sent my Dad last year cost about as much to post as it did to buy. That's two t-shirts and a sweatshirt, about $100 all together. Bought from The Warehouse or Farmers.

The box that I purchased at the Post Shop to put them in plus postage. The further duty or tax or whatever Royal Mail/UK Govt charge was for ('cause each individual item's value was less than GBP40), cost GBP 18.50 which I paid just so he could get his Christmas Present. In total another $100 spent just on postage etc.

Not doing that again. He sends us money for Christmas or birthday. I'm going to take a leaf out of his book and do the same for him from now on.

(I'm also fed up with how he reacted about his Christmas parcel last year, threatening to send it back as he refused to pay the duty ) He asked if I'd paid the charge, I said I did. Thought so, was all he could say. So, a card and send some money from now on.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 1st 2014 at 12:27 am. Reason: from now on
Old May 1st 2014, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Far better to save up all the wasted postage costs etc and buy a ticket with the proceeds.
Old May 1st 2014, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

I posted a letter from uk to NZ on Friday and it got there on Tuesday and my husband posted one to me on Sat (middle of Easter weekend) and it arrived on Thursday - that's quicker than I get in the uk
Old May 1st 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
(I'm also fed up with how he reacted about his Christmas parcel last year, threatening to send it back as he refused to pay the duty ) He asked if I'd paid the charge, I said I did. Thought so, was all he could say. So, a card and send some money from now on.
He sounds like a spoilt brat - don't send him anything next time apart from a card!
Old May 1st 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm just about always happy to open a present/s. So if you think you're missing out this year, send it my way.

Anything Calvin Klein or Rolex much appreciated.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
I posted a letter from uk to NZ on Friday and it got there on Tuesday and my husband posted one to me on Sat (middle of Easter weekend) and it arrived on Thursday - that's quicker than I get in the uk
The post to and from NZ is unpredictable.
I can send a card from NZ on a Monday and my Mum in the UK can have it on Thursday morning. Last month, it took almost 3 weeks for a parcel I sent to my nephew in the UK, which is unusual, as it normally takes less than a week.

There is often some discount for posting christmas cards early
so watch out for it.

Gill