Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Police, Stop, 1,2,3,4,5.

Police, Stop, 1,2,3,4,5.

Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Police, Stop, 1,2,3,4,5.

Here 5 weeks and stopped 3 times for breath tests, on the third time they had stopped me only moments before and waved me through.

All the years in the UK and I was never stopped, thankfully I'm pretty dull and boring so wouldn't dream of drinking and driving.

Just make sure you can count to 5, it will help.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Police, Stop, 1,2,3,4,5.

In one week here over Xmas OH has got two speeding fines, $250 worth
He'd never had anything in the UK in over 30yrs
I kept telling him they are really hot on speeding here, he now annoys all the locals by driving exactly to the limit, even the 30kmh roadworks limit
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean I have been stopped many times here and never in the UK. They have an amazing way to make you feel guilty, so you fumble your words or can't remember where you live. . Usually they have some patronising / sarky comment to make; it's like they expect you to fail and are disappointed when you don't.

Whilst I understand the need the approach doesn't seem to be making a difference; you get folks that flash their lights to oncoming traffic to signal trouble ahead and people doing U-turn in the road or duck out of the traffic as soon as they see any signs of the booze buses.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:03 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see NZ police force doing their job and helping to protect lives.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
Here 5 weeks and stopped 3 times for breath tests, on the third time they had stopped me only moments before and waved me through.

All the years in the UK and I was never stopped, thankfully I'm pretty dull and boring so wouldn't dream of drinking and driving.

Just make sure you can count to 5, it will help.
Get used to it....................happens all the time.
They appear in different places all over town regularly.
Also ask you for your address too!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Once late at night I was stopped 3 times in less that 15 minutes at various check points in Rotorua. Was driving to pick up our youngest daughter from a night out and drop her off with her partner.

Worst of all.... I WAS IN MY NIGHTIE !!!!

Gill
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:38 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Once late at night I was stopped 3 times in less that 15 minutes at various check points in Rotorua. Was driving to pick up our youngest daughter from a night out and drop her off with her partner.

Gill
Now you know why you were stopped 3 times
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Gill
We got stopped very late one night going to pick up our eldest from work...........I was in a onesie!!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

It's a procedure that really took off with a vengeance in the early 1980s in New Zealand after the first blow-into-a-bag crystal breathalysers were available to traffic cops, who had their own force and differently-marked cars.

Until then, in the 70s, I remember a number of Dads (usually) getting beind the wheel after a few beers without a second thought. The other thing is, is that many suburbs wouldn't have or even consider having local pubs that you could walk to, so in the weekends, because of strict licensing laws, it meant going to the bowling or yacht club for drinks. And there was no public transport either.

In the early 80s, I was stopped on Buckle St. in Wellington, by the old museum at 10am on a weekday morning and then about five minutes later, coming out of the motorway tunnel behind The Terrace. Sounds like nothing much has changed in the last 30 years. Good thing too.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I've been stopped 9 times over 2 years, it's an excellent thing to do - even more so when they have cars patrolled on side roads to catch anyone doing u-turns to avoid being caught

They'd have a field day on Saturday nights down Merivale if they did breathaliser tests between 9pm and midnight on Papanui Road.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

I feel left out. I have never been stopped in over 50 years of driving. I have been waved on twice but I guess that doesn't count.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I never get stopped so I can,t complain but what I do like is the fact that they actually get of there arse and go on the street and pull you unlike the UK that relies heavily on cameras to rake in the cash

neil
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I never get stopped so I can,t complain but what I do like is the fact that they actually get of there arse and go on the street and pull you unlike the UK that relies heavily on cameras to rake in the cash

neil
Neil that is exactly what I have been thinking all through this post And not only are the two thousand little boxes a hazard in themselves (motorists see them at the last second and instinctively jump on their brakes!) but they dosh out penalty points as well.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
I've been stopped 9 times over 2 years, it's an excellent thing to do - even more so when they have cars patrolled on side roads to catch anyone doing u-turns to avoid being caught

They'd have a field day on Saturday nights down Merivale if they did breathaliser tests between 9pm and midnight on Papanui Road.
I always assumed they were there regularly - you mean they're not ??? I am quite surprised

Jan