panic!!!!

Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future
Default panic!!!!

Hi All

I'm sure many of you will say it is perfectly normal to get serious panic attacks and doubts about moving to the other side of the world but it's not even funny anymore! I am being physically sick, I should have handed in my notice on Monday but it is still sat on my desk and our flights are booked for 5weeks time!

I keep thinking to myself do I really want to do this? Family, firiends, I have a good life here - blah blah blah! Then I realise that this is what I have wanted so much for the past 3 years, and loved NZ when I visited in 2002!

Should I be worried?! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I should be so excited.

Is it the old scenario of be careful what you wish for as you may just get it!

Didn't realise how much guts you needed to do this. Every credit to all of you who have done it, especially the one's with kids!

I need a drink.

J

J
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:45 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: panic!!!!

Jeany, it is completely normal! But once you start cutting those ties, it becomes easier. Well it has for us anyway. We just have one car left to sell, then we're off! We're of the mindset that if you didn't do it, you'd spend the rest of your life thinking "what if?"...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

I think its natural. Have you tried thinking to yourself "what would happen if I stayed here?" Which option seems better then?

Good luck
Alison
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Pull yourself together. 1 step at a time,but do the steps. Now hand that f**king letter in!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeany
Hi All

I'm sure many of you will say it is perfectly normal to get serious panic attacks and doubts about moving to the other side of the world but it's not even funny anymore! I am being physically sick, I should have handed in my notice on Monday but it is still sat on my desk and our flights are booked for 5weeks time!

I keep thinking to myself do I really want to do this? Family, firiends, I have a good life here - blah blah blah! Then I realise that this is what I have wanted so much for the past 3 years, and loved NZ when I visited in 2002!

Should I be worried?! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I should be so excited.

Is it the old scenario of be careful what you wish for as you may just get it!

Didn't realise how much guts you needed to do this. Every credit to all of you who have done it, especially the one's with kids!

I need a drink.

J

J

hi jacky g here....my first serious panic attack was at heathrow airport....we flew from glasgow to heathrow.....then i just froze...

was standing shaking and crying like an idiot....told garry i wasn't going and we were going home....

bless him he quite calmly went to our gate which was about 10minute walk away and told them to take us off the plane...(all the time wanting to kill me no doubt)it took me a few minutes to compose myself and decide to go. me and the kids had to run to the gate because it was closing.....whats the worst that can happen.....if it doesn't work you come home......

i kept thinking theres probably millions of people would love this oppertunity but won't get the chance to do this.....how lucky are we that we can.....gl with all your move....
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeany

I'm have moments of panic too and we haven't even done anything yet - see 'introductions'.

I am just focussing on the opportunities that it may bring and if we don't take a chance whilst there is one we may regret it later.

Good luck, go for it
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:27 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeany

It's hard to tell the difference between bravery and stupidity, you know.....

I'm not sure about actually throwing up, but it's normal to feel nervous when making big decisions. I'm sure most people on this board have had 'nerves' and second thoughts. Just like kids on their first day at school.

(Not that I have any real knowledge about that...except my own 'first day at school' on my 5th Birthday which was terrible as all the other children said I was wearing 'girls shoes')

Anyway, it's not as if this decision is irreversible. If you don't like NZ after a year or so then just leave. Simple!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

I think your looking at too big a picture of it, and getting overwhelmed - it may help to think of it in smaller steps. Tell yourself your going on a holiday, and get excited about all the places you will see and new things to try. If you do like it over here - then you can be excited all over again by remembering you don't actually have to leave
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago asking if it was always this stressful to move overseas. And the replies were a resounding "YES", so I realised I wasn't going crazy (well, not much more than I was already) and that the majority of folk have felt the same way I do. It was lovely to get so many replies and to know I wasn't alone.

As it stands, our house has been up for sale 8 wks today and we have had precisely ZERO offers (I'm not THAT untidy, honest) and I am now at the stage where I feel like I am never going to get to NZ. The slow sale of the house has had a calming effect (after the initial "OMG! Here we go!" the day we put it up for sale) but it's also reinforced the fact that going to NZ really is what I want to do. And ASAP would be good.

However, when I say 'a calming affect', I still greet my eyes out at the telly whenever someone moves away and everyone is saying goodbye, whether it's 'A New Life Down Under' or 'Neighbours'!!! And if someone shows even the slightest bit of interest in the house (that's as much as it's been so far) then I fly into a OMG-if-they-buy-the-house-then-that's-us-on-our-way panic.

Actually none of it's calming - more kind of dazed really.

Good luck and God bless
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

How do 'boots. Sending you a bit of housesale karma. That'll shift it.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked back at some of your posts and seen that you've already sold your house and you have no kids yet...so what've you got to lose...as the others have said...it wouldn't be too hard to go back if it didn't turn out to be your cup of tea...oh and don't worry the tea is fab here as well as the coffee.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Good post Jeany - just how I feel and we've only just submitted our EOI. I keep crying already although I'm absolutely sure it's the right thing to do.

Everyone's replies are a huge help - thank you from me.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
How do 'boots. Sending you a bit of housesale karma. That'll shift it.
I hope so! That and my new Ikeas curtains !!

Thank you x
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

Hi

I was so excited when it came to the thought of moving especially through the 'are we going to be accepted' stage.

But, then came the nerves as we sold our house (it took 15 mths as the market just pretty much came to a holt!) and once that happened, well we were swept off our feet.

The nerves hit and questions, do I really want to do this, what if I'm not happy and OMG I am not going to see friends/family for a long time.

We have now been here 10 months and I can safely say, so far, its the best thing we did.

You will get over it, honestly
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future

Thank you for all the replies, feeling a lot more positive today, the notice will be handed in first thing tomorrow!

We will be travelling for the first 6 months in NZ so just going to look forward to that and then see what happens.

Thanks again