Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Already Overwhelmed!

Already Overwhelmed!

Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all
Default Already Overwhelmed!

I am a very organised and "together" person but I am already completely overwhelmed with the whole process. I didn't sleep last night worrying, should we sell our house now and go into rented until we go, should we try to rehome two of our cats now (to ill/old to put them through the move), should we tell our employers now of our plans, should my Husband go out on his own to find a job first, should we employ an Immigration Agency to assist once we're drawn from the pool, what if they won't let us in?! I feel completely exhausted already! My Husband says it's because I always like to be in control and this is the only time I've ever not been. I'm a list maker and I can't make any list because the whole process is a complete unknown entity to us. My Husband thinks someone is going to wave a magic wand and someone will simply hand us our visas and find him a job. I want to cry
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Already Overwhelmed!

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
I am a very organised and "together" person but I am already completely overwhelmed with the whole process. I didn't sleep last night worrying, should we sell our house now and go into rented until we go, should we try to rehome two of our cats now (to ill/old to put them through the move), should we tell our employers now of our plans, should my Husband go out on his own to find a job first, should we employ an Immigration Agency to assist once we're drawn from the pool, what if they won't let us in?! I feel completely exhausted already! My Husband says it's because I always like to be in control and this is the only time I've ever not been. I'm a list maker and I can't make any list because the whole process is a complete unknown entity to us. My Husband thinks someone is going to wave a magic wand and someone will simply hand us our visas and find him a job. I want to cry
Before going bonkers over it have you been to an expo, the next one is next weekend in London http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=expo . You'll get loads of info to tell you where to start...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Thanks Simon - yes we are going to Earls Court next Saturday - perhaps it will all become clearer then - I'll let you know.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Simon - yes we are going to Earls Court next Saturday - perhaps it will all become clearer then - I'll let you know.
Good, make sure you go to the immigration talk, you'll get loads of info from them...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

And I thought I was the only one feeling like thisI haven't really slept since the day we agreed to go for it!!! and we don't want to go for 2 more years:curse: I'm gonna be knackered by then. I'm so excited I want to go know but my OH is so level headed he sits there saying let's firstly complete our degrees and then we'll blah, blah, blah it's not what I want to hear I want it nowbut I know deep down that it will happen one day!!!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:15 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi Kerry,
Although it is good to keep your eye on the prize, I think it will do your sanity a world of good if you just take a deep breath and then just take it step by step. This whole immigration to New Zealand process isn't that horrible. You just need to be methodical about it.

Good luck and all the best.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:44 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kerry

Having 'been there, done that and bought the T-shirt'!!! I know exactly how you feel.

My advice to you both is to research EVERYTHING from the areas you want to live, to salaries, the immigration process, even the difference in driving ( although all the research in the world can't prepare you for that one!).

The more you know, the more in control you will feel. As for the lists, by the end of this, your lists, will have lists

And remember, if all else fails, chocolate, wine and Expats works every time

Now go and get some sleep
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

brightie will become famous soon enoughbrightie will become famous soon enough

Hi Kerry
We are also in that position...have made the decision to go to NZ. We are currently sending CV out for husbands job.
We are going to the expo on Saturday in London so maybe our paths will cross. Good luck and hope we can find the information we are looking for.

Simone x
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kerry

We are in a similar position - my husband responded to a recent job trawl for NZ by sending off a couple of CVs - now we find ourselves in the position that he has two interviews to attend!! We will be at the Expo on Saturday for a while and most of Sunday (the interviews are arranged to be held at the Expo), so this is all happending and we haven't even attended the Expo to find anything out yet! I am just taking everything one step at a time now - if my husband gets a job offer from the Expo we will then be asking lots of questions on here. I think the Expo will help a lot too in finding out lots of things. At first I was thinking - what about selling our house, where would we live, shall we rent, what about our pets, oh, and what about the kids?! Now I am just taking one thing at a time - if a job offer is made and is acceptable, we will concentrate on the next step.

Good luck, try not to worry too much - there is so much support here and that really helps.

Kerry (too!)
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Hi Kerry

We are in a similar position - my husband responded to a recent job trawl for NZ by sending off a couple of CVs - now we find ourselves in the position that he has two interviews to attend!! We will be at the Expo on Saturday for a while and most of Sunday (the interviews are arranged to be held at the Expo), so this is all happending and we haven't even attended the Expo to find anything out yet! I am just taking everything one step at a time now - if my husband gets a job offer from the Expo we will then be asking lots of questions on here. I think the Expo will help a lot too in finding out lots of things. At first I was thinking - what about selling our house, where would we live, shall we rent, what about our pets, oh, and what about the kids?! Now I am just taking one thing at a time - if a job offer is made and is acceptable, we will concentrate on the next step.

Good luck, try not to worry too much - there is so much support here and that really helps.

Kerry (too!)

Fingers crossed for his interviews, we went to the expo in York last Sunday and it answered loads of our questions!! But even then it's still really daunting!! Let us know how your OH gets on!!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone - looking forward to the Expo and the Chocolate, wine and expats will do for now.