Reload this Page >

Packing Shipping Container vs Removal Company

Packing Shipping Container vs Removal Company

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

letsgoeco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Packing Shipping Container vs Removal Company

Hi everyone

We are moving a household from France to NZ and trying to sort out what the requirements are with a container. We understand it has to be packed on a hard sealed base, and we don't have anything like that here. Has anyone got any experience they could share on packing a container to meet the requirements (we are in the French countryside). We would really appreciate any experience/thoughts you could share, we need to order the container in the next few days but are starting to wonder whether it mightn't be better to pay a removal company to do it all.

Thanks for your time and help,

Rex and Jo
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Packing Shipping Container vs Removal Company

Hiya

I could be wrong, and someone will come along and put me right if I am, but I think you are advised to use a removal firm.

There's so much paper work with booking a shipping company to bring the container over, then you got the marine insurance and customs when it eventually gets here.

We used a removal company and they did everything, right down to organising the insurance for us, OK so we used their insurance brokers, but it saved messing about.

Don't forget the removal firm will then deliver you worldly goods to your door as well.

Good luck with it all.

Catkin
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by letsgoeco
Hi everyone

We are moving a household from France to NZ and trying to sort out what the requirements are with a container. We understand it has to be packed on a hard sealed base, and we don't have anything like that here. Has anyone got any experience they could share on packing a container to meet the requirements (we are in the French countryside). We would really appreciate any experience/thoughts you could share, we need to order the container in the next few days but are starting to wonder whether it mightn't be better to pay a removal company to do it all.

Thanks for your time and help,

Rex and Jo
Hi
I have been a container driver in the UK for twenty years and never heard this mentioned. The containers have a solid flooring and as long as your goods are securely wrapped you should not have problem 2 bits of advice though if you can get a good company to wrap and load your goods on the container and read very carefully what you are allowed to put in it. We are in Tauranga have been here since early April we didn't bring a lot of furniture so have a shared container coming over.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

letsgoeco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies folks. I guess the MAF website makes things sound more stringent than they actually are. We are going to look into getting a company to pack it just to be sure.

Thank you.