Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Early July Arrival

Early July Arrival

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:09 am
Just Joined

fired50 will become famous soon enoughfired50 will become famous soon enough
Default Early July Arrival

Ok, so it looks like baby, wife and myself will be arriving in (rainy?) Auckland about early July - possibly very late June. My job begins around the third week of July.

So, I'd just like to pick a few brains if you folks have the time and inclination..

I'm planning to book the first 2 weeks in a B & B or self contained accommodation; we like to cook and don't want to spend all our time and hard earned cash eating out. We're also going to hire a car for the initial two weeks with a view to extend if we don't locate a suitable 2nd hand motor. After a couple of days relaxing and climatising the fun begins.

As useful as Trade Me is, I think it's important to have a good look at a place before you rent it, so we were hoping to call some agents, drive around, check the plumbing and electricity ourselves before hiring our first rental in one of the nicer Manuka City beachy burbs.

After six months - a year (pending on the marching decrease in house prices) we're hoping to buy our own gaff after checking out a few mortgage brokers.

My questions to you are:

- do you envision or foresee any bumps along the above intended route?
- what are the major pitfalls to car rental/house rental in the Auckland area?
- does anybody know of any decent self contained holiday homes in the areas mentioned?

Thanks for your ongoing support

Fired50
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early July Arrival

It would help if you said where you are working. Auckland is a big city and you don't want to be driving across it twice a day for work
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:01 am
Just Joined

I'm working in the Manuka City area, not far from Pakuranga.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we are in Cockle Bay which is not far from Manakau Central, we rented holiday accomodation when we first arrived ayear ago,we negotiated the rent on holiday let beacause we were commiting for a longer period. we are still in this rental now.We have a wonderful Landlord who has a second holiday rental 2 mins down the road...It is a lovely rental,4 bedrooms ,2 bathrooms with a downstairs rumpus for the kids...If you are stuck for holiday rental we can pm you his number(He even picked us up from the airport,and put essential shopping items in home for our arrival)..Feel free to pm me for any info you need...Jacky and Garry
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi Fired50. Your plan sounds good, you sound like you know what you are doing Cant help with the holiday homes but here are the local motels in the area
www.howickmotorlodge.co.nz
www.marinamotel.co.nz
www.pakuranga.co.nz
www.waterfrontchalets.co.nz (we stayed here when we first arrived, lovely place on the beach.)
Pitfalls to renting - I personally find that having rented a couple of houses here it has given me a good idea of what I want/dont want when we come to buy our own house, not a pitfall but a benefit IMO. You have probably read on some of the posts here that lots of houses have a problem with damp. That is a problem whether you rent or buy so your plan to look before you rent is a good one. You might be shocked by how 'tired' and dated some rentals are, but there are lots of nice ones out there too. Good luck with your plans and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments and advice.

F50
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Found these guys good for car rental when we lived in auckland. Cheaper than Avis etc....

http://www.acerentalcars.co.nz/
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Lee at Barfoots in Pakaranga was good for us listened and worked with the other branches in this area which saved us a lot of leg work.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Raquel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fired 50,

I'm moving to NZ at the begining of July aswell...Could I ask you...what have you done with your savings in UK? Have you got an ISA in UK? CAn you keep it even knowing you won't pay taxes in UK anymore?

Any help will be welcome
Old Jun 25th 2008, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Not sure. We've spent the last coupla years working in Abu Dhabi and are wondering what the best way to bring our saving into the country are also. Sorry, not much help!