Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This packing lark...

This packing lark...

Old Dec 1st 2007, 4:40 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This packing lark...

...is a nightmare. i am finding it really stressful going through all our stuff and trying to decide what to take and throw.

we emptied the attic and FILLED a room with all the boxes - no word of a lie. Now i am sure the container dude went up in the attic and did an estimation - but really he cant possibly think all that stuff will fit in the container???

so i am panicing and trying to throw stuff so we dont end up with any problems on tuesday with stuff not fitting. i have advertised a house clearance and will dump a load of stuff on the driveway for people to come and buy/take away.

and what with the pregnancy i am sooooooooooooo knackered i am sleeping every hour and just so demotivated.

i said good bye to my brother today. that was weird. i didnt get upset till he had gone. and people are calling us up with their good byes and friends took us out for a chinkie last night. they seem more upset than us.

i think it will hit us when we leave the house, and fly out of heathrow.

cant say i am feeling all that excited at the moment. i am feeling lots of dread.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This packing lark...

Originally Posted by dreamfish
...is a nightmare. i am finding it really stressful going through all our stuff and trying to decide what to take and throw.

we emptied the attic and FILLED a room with all the boxes - no word of a lie. Now i am sure the container dude went up in the attic and did an estimation - but really he cant possibly think all that stuff will fit in the container???

so i am panicing and trying to throw stuff so we dont end up with any problems on tuesday with stuff not fitting. i have advertised a house clearance and will dump a load of stuff on the driveway for people to come and buy/take away.

and what with the pregnancy i am sooooooooooooo knackered i am sleeping every hour and just so demotivated.

i said good bye to my brother today. that was weird. i didnt get upset till he had gone. and people are calling us up with their good byes and friends took us out for a chinkie last night. they seem more upset than us.

cant say i am feeling all that excited at the moment. i am feeling lots of dread.
It's all very natural Kate, what you're experiencing, we've al been there. I can't tel you the amount of trips i did to the dump getting rid of all our crap and too charity shops as well, it never seemed to stop. But everything else fitted in the container, it always does, these guys are experts nd the speed they work at is incredible. We had four of them pack up our three bedroomed house in four hours including removing doors to get the sofa's out. It didn't hit us as we left Heathrow nor even since being in NZ. As we sat down in our seat on NZ001 to LAX, we just felt a huge sense of relief as now it was finally happening, there's was nothing more we could do except enjoy the flight and look forward to our new life.... I do hope it'll be the same for you...
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

You're on the home stretch now!! Hang in there - I can't imagine how tired you must feel, being preggers and emigrating!!

I also found that saying goodbye to family and friends seemed worse for them - I think it's because your brain is still full of 'have I packed xxx?','what time do we need to check in?', 'where are the passports and tickets' etc, etc, etc! but they're focused on you and your departure!

Just keep on keeping on!! Tick items off your list and try to relax on the flight as there's nothing you can do except travel. That way you'll have enough energy to start all over again when you land in NZ!

Eventually (hopefully!!) when the dust settles and you have time to think about how you're feeling, you'll be proud of the fact that you managed to move you, your loved ones and all your stuff to the other side of the world! Good luck and tons of karma for you!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:06 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry Kate, it will all come together in the end. Karma to you, now stop stressing and think nice thoughts
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:54 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

let them take everything, that is except the kitchen sink. What you don't need when you get here put on Trademe

Problem solved.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:30 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kate, your last few days are sounding very familiar, i became all cryed out at times, and when i thought the tears would come, they didn't, and vice versa, everything is a whirl, i wish now i'd kept a diary of the last week as we saw so many people and had lots of meet ups with friends, that i feel it was all a blur. Writing things down always helps me get through things and get it sorted in my head. Hats off to you Kate, you must be made of strong stuff, being pregnant and all, well-done. As for getting rid of some stuff, take one day at a time, do what you can, keep taking the naps, sleep is a great thing, try not to stress, its all happening now, you'll be here before you know it.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:44 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Wewt! You're nearly here! There's such a wonderful expat community in this area, it's fantastic! Always someone to talk to, bounce ideas and concerns off, you'll be fine.

Please text or give me a call sometime to let me know what time to bring over the toddler bed (and let me know your address too ha ha). We've not unpacked all our linen yet, but probably have something you could use. Do you need plates? We have 8 hard plastic dinner plates, side plates and bowls. Let me know if you need to borrow those too.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:21 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys for words of support.

its going well but has taken its toll.

I began bleeding last night and coupled with the cramps - the prospect for this little critter is bleak.

fingers crossed eh?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I began bleeding last night and coupled with the cramps - the prospect for this little critter is bleak.

fingers crossed eh?

Oh shit Kate, that's not good. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

fingers crossed eh?

Jesus, Girl! that don't sound good, try to relax as much as you can - it's probably just stress!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:06 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

fingers crossed eh?

Oh Kate, you must be beside yourself. Hope it has settled down and you feel more at ease now.
Thinking of you and sending my best wishes,
Karen X