Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Other face of New Zealand

Wikiposts

The Other face of New Zealand

Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

katypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to allkatypie is a name known to all
Default Re: The Other face of New Zealand

Originally Posted by Woodlea
We often forget than only 100 years ago here in NZ and also in the US people needed guns to live, as protection and a source of food, whereas us soft poms haven't needed guns since before the industrial revolution. So I can understand the history behind the 'gun culture' - to some extent.
Thanks Woodlea, I was going to make that point! Another thing is, that NZ has a huge farming community where owning & using guns is just part of the job.

I don't like guns, and neither does my family, but growing up on a 6 acre lifestyle block in the Kauaeranga Valley there were occasions where my Dad had to borrow one of the neighbours guns to put down a sick sheep. Like or not there is a need for them.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

newt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Other face of New Zealand

The Kaueranga eh, splendid place, done much tramping there, Hoffman's Pool, done the high platform (only once ), grew up about 20 minutes from said paradise, on the Hauraki Plains.

Strangely enough, only been shooting on the Coromandel once, and that was about 25 years ago.

It was always a very nice part of the country. I haven't been back there since '93, but I hope and presume it still is.

Onya.