Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Driving Licence rules

New Driving Licence rules

Old May 30th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Driving Licence rules

Finally, the rules have been changed and drivers from certain countries (incl the UK) will no longer have to take the Theory test after 1st Sept 08.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/q-and-...ment-2008.html

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/docs/d...dment-2008.pdf - see page 7 for list of countries affected
Old May 30th 2008, 2:47 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Driving Licence rules

Yay! But thinking about it, taking the NZ theory test isn't that hard and is a good idea for new immigrants!
Old May 30th 2008, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Finally, the rules have been changed and drivers from certain countries (incl the UK) will no longer have to take the Theory test after 1st Sept 08.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/docs/d...dment-2008.pdf - see page 7 for list of countries affected
Hooray!!

Although from looking at the list, I'm not sure about the Greek drivers

Personally I think if your from a country that drives on the other side of the road, then they should take the test.

Catkin
Old May 30th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Yay! But thinking about it, taking the NZ theory test isn't that hard and is a good idea for new immigrants!
Perhaps it's not hard, but it's just extra unnecessary bureaucracy and cost. As the report highlights, most countries don't have a similar requirement.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice

ITs a great move, however i'll still read about the changes to our rules, because some stuff is totally different, and i'd hate to argue with someone about something and be totally wrong
Old May 30th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino

Hurray!!! But I did mine a couple of weeks ago ...so close to not having to do it.
It did at least get me to focus on the give way to the right rule though.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Surely this has to mean that the standard of driving can only get worse...what a scarey thought!!!
Old May 30th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Welly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really niceWelly Wife is just really nice

BUGGER!!! Guess when my UK Licence expires??

You got it ........... 31st August 2008...... Back to the Road Code I guess [

Last edited by Welly Wife; May 30th 2008 at 9:37 pm. Reason: colour and sizing didn't work!!! doh
Old May 31st 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welly Wife

Poor you...I am so glad I didn't know about this forthcoming change before I took the test!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:06 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Mixed feelings, UK test is much much harder but the NZ theory does help with Right Hand Rule.

Yep, those who come from countries who drive on 'the wrong side' of the road should have some form of orientation course
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by howden40
Mixed feelings, UK test is much much harder but the NZ theory does help with Right Hand Rule.

Yep, those who come from countries who drive on 'the wrong side' of the road should have some form of orientation course
Yeah but most of us drive around without incident for several months before we take the theory test. The traffic volumes are so much lower than where I used to live.
Driving on the other side of the road makes very little difference - Brits living on the continent don't have to do any re-tests...not even a theory test so I think NZ is just falling into line.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

I can't believe that!!! I knew they were going to change it they mentioned something last year,then i couldn't find it.
Well i passed mine now typical
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:54 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjmilligan
I can't believe that!!! I knew they were going to change it they mentioned something last year,then i couldn't find it.
Well i passed mine now typical
LOL! sod's law eh? but at least having done it we know how far from the back axle of the trailer we don't have we can legal overhang a load AND we know what a yellow cats eye means.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

So forgive my ignorance, but does this mean if we have a UK drivers license we can automatically get a NZ license??
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Welly Wife

Don't sweat it... I drove around for two years on a UK licence before going to get my theory test and get a NZ licence

You're still valid on 31 August, just go in on 1 September and get the new NZ licence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.