Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Optional Charges" Pre School

"Optional Charges" Pre School

Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:02 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Optional Charges" Pre School

Having a big barney with my daughters pre-school.

And it boils down to the Optional Charges the preschool would like everyone to pay. And my big problem is with the word optional.

Basically, we have our eldest daughter at this preschool and we were suckered in to pay the optional charges for her attendance. Now our youngest is enrolled to start as well and I am digging my heels in over these charges. Because I do not want to have to fork out another fee and I do not see where the extra value comes from.

And according to the Ministry of Education's website, the school is not allowed to make these charges compulsory.

Just wondered if anyone has had this argument before?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:37 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Optional Charges" Pre School

Yep, we did. We just told them we'd contact the Ministry of Ed, about the situation.

Never heard about it again!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Having a big barney with my daughters pre-school.

And it boils down to the Optional Charges the preschool would like everyone to pay. And my big problem is with the word optional.

Basically, we have our eldest daughter at this preschool and we were suckered in to pay the optional charges for her attendance. Now our youngest is enrolled to start as well and I am digging my heels in over these charges. Because I do not want to have to fork out another fee and I do not see where the extra value comes from.

And according to the Ministry of Education's website, the school is not allowed to make these charges compulsory.

Just wondered if anyone has had this argument before?
We had the same situation with my daughter's high school here in Perth. When the bill came I highlighted the word optional and returned it with a note saying "No, thanks. I'm happy just paying the compulsary fees".
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

The whole optional charges thing in NZ is a disgusting scam to avoid tax. Im surprised the Inland Revenue dont do more about this, cos its obvious that most schools treat the donations as 'compulsory'.

You can refuse to pay if you like, but then try getting another child accepted into the school afterwards. Or see how the school bullies you or your child cos you dont pay the optional charges. Its a disgrace.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Never once paid the the "donation" as the high school like to call it for either of my boys.
I read a piece once in the paper about a labour MP who also refused to pay them,
each time the school sent her a letter she would forward it onto the minister for education
and inform the school to take it up with them if they wanted to go further