Only....

Old May 22nd 2005, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

trisha 88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Only....

where are you going to settle in new zealand,
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahB
Trisha I'm wondering if its going to be a bit like that for me to. I think I'm lucky that having an 18th month old I'm going to have to get myself a little car and take him places, he doesnt like being inside a lot. I always go to the toddler groups here where I live so I will have to try to find some as soon as we get settled, so I can get out and meet some people. Hopefully too I will find some kind of work too, I really need a part time job to get me out of the house... away from the tiny whirlwind boy.... to help keep me sane... to get some money of my own coming in and to hopefully make some new friends.
We arrived just over two years ago.
the first 3 month or so are exciting and everything is new. Then reality sets in, life becomes more mundane and you probalby still wouldnt have made any real friends. the period about 6 months to a year after arriving is the most difficult part. after that your pretty much settled in. you feel at home when you start complaining about the traffic, the politicians, crime, where are all your tax dollars going to, service of public utility companies etc..

but with the right attitude youll be fine.
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Surely its going to help quite a bit that we are staying with a family when we get there, my little boy is already a flirt with the girlies so hes going to be fine I hope, and the family are going to show us around the place and introduce us to their friends etc, and show us the different areas we can live.
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahB
Surely its going to help quite a bit that we are staying with a family when we get there, my little boy is already a flirt with the girlies so hes going to be fine I hope, and the family are going to show us around the place and introduce us to their friends etc, and show us the different areas we can live.
of course it helps if you have some support there already, especially for finding your feet initially. And it also makes initial introductions easier. I wasnt trying to scare anybody of by saying it gets difficult to adapt...just telling it as we found it when we moved here.

I would say that it pays to make an effort to meet people outside of an expat community, otherwise you may be even less likey to assimilate into a new country. But im not pretending to have all the answers......
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:19 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annaerb
There is a guy that comes on here NeilW he has just brought out his wifes smart car. You can contact him. Some People do drive LHD cars here.
The rules & regulations regarding LHD vehicles has changed a lot & now only classics are allowed to be imported or as far as I found out when researching it I could import one from the US if I have owned it for more than 6 months in the US first & have to own it for more than 2 years after landing it in NZ. Do think its slightly easier for a NZ'er to import a LHD than someone from another country. Please dont quote me because things might have changed since I last looked into it about 6 months ago