Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OK, winter's started, now what?

OK, winter's started, now what?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: OK, winter's started, now what?

It did here too last evening. Even the ducks wanted some sort of shelter. Normally they scorn anything so woosy. The storms made for a few outages here and there.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Last time we had lightening here it struck 2 horses in the field opposite where my horse is kept and killed them both outright. I went there the next morning to see if my horse was ok and he was but there was 2 horses dead in the field on the top of a hill. They both belonged to one lady and she thought the world of them so it was very upsetting.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

and So sorry to read that SarahB.

I spent the day collecting poxy feijoas. Ugh!

The rain was absolblumminlutely torrential. so i sat on the covered part of my deck and just watched out over the garden , through the village to the hills. It was amazing.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Met with friends and sat playing scrabble, it was really good fun. It passes a few hours as weather is crap at the mo.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

If its any consoilation its about the same here too...... sun was out but that wind was rather cold in the east midlands..... but I suppose our summer is on the way (hopefully). If we time this right we could have 2 summers....
Steve and Dee
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:22 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Definitely autumn has made its announcement this morning. Strong southerlies made for a brisk walk to work this morning.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

We are at the start of summer here and i bet its bloody colder than in NZ. Had to scrape the ice off the car yesterday and 6 miles away it was snowing. At least you only get it for a short while. We've had it for 6 months now.
Roll on August.
Ice pop anyone?
Attached Thumbnails OK, winter's started, now what?-100_0136.jpg  
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:57 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcoltom
We are at the start of summer here and i bet its bloody colder than in NZ. Had to scrape the ice off the car yesterday and 6 miles away it was snowing. At least you only get it for a short while. We've had it for 6 months now.
Roll on August.
Ice pop anyone?
That sucks

Does make me laugh when people try to say you shouldn't move to NZ for the weather. Why not? It's warmer with shorter winters than the UK but not a drought blown dustbowl. Think we had a teensy bit of frost once here in Hawkes Bay that I remember in the past 15 months
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by malcoltom
We've had it for 6 months now.
Roll on August.
Ice pop anyone?
Iwas in the UK last summer, so I would suggest you've had winter for 11 months!!! I remember a nice couple of weeks in April!

Thx for the replies, no clearer really.

I have no woodburner so wood cutting is out of the question. Don;t want to set fire to the settee!

Knitting is out, I'm already a nurse so can't pick up girlie hobbies too!!!

Garden is looked after the owner so no pruning, except on the person

Hopefully heat and moisture isn't going to be an issue, i live in a new build and even when chilly outside, it's been too hot inside. Anyway, being a lancastrian cold and wet is what I'm used to!

Last edited by owen; Apr 18th 2008 at 12:16 pm. Reason: Cos I can!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

joanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nicejoanneroy is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That sucks

Does make me laugh when people try to say you shouldn't move to NZ for the weather. Why not? It's warmer with shorter winters than the UK but not a drought blown dustbowl. Think we had a teensy bit of frost once here in Hawkes Bay that I remember in the past 15 months
Nz sure is warmer and better weather than the uk
The uk is freezing, raining and windy i personally dont think we are gonna have any summer. Even thou we dont get many weeks of sun anyway.
We even had snow at easter that was a shock.
And ive still got my heating turned up high.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneroy
Nz sure is warmer and better weather than the uk
The uk is freezing, raining and windy i personally dont think we are gonna have any summer. Even thou we dont get many weeks of sun anyway.
We even had snow at easter that was a shock.
And ive still got my heating turned up high.

Wellington's been utterly freezing!

6 layers of clothes + Winter coat today

Windy, rainy and horribly freezing Welly winter starts finally!

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 19th 2008 at 11:18 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Wellington's been utterly freezing!

6 layers of clothes + Winter coat today

Windy, rainy and horribly freezing Welly winter starts finally!
Yup, have got a bit of a cold coming on, had three layers on when out today and was frozen....
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just had to laugh at you lot complaining about the crap, cold mildew ridden houses in NZ. Where were you all living in the UK?? I've just spent a week farm sitting in North Devon, for a friend. She has a quaint, good old fashioned English cottage. Complete with hot and cold running damp spots. The solid fuel Rayburn was ace but only in one room, the wood burner would have been fantastic but it was so bloody windy I filled the living room with soot and smoke.The hot water had a mind of its own and stepping out of the shower was likely to induce hypothermia. But.. people have lived this way in this country for 100's of years. They'll get the house sorted eventually.But there are things you can do, install woodburners,insulate the walls and roof,keep the windows open enough to let air flow. Good grief how have the NZers lasted this long?? Surely they're not hardier than the Brits or have we just got spoiled over the years in new build, cosy boxes?
OK finished...shoot me down,
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Yup, have got a bit of a cold coming on, had three layers on when out today and was frozen....
late this afternoon, been to a new cafe (what's the name ??) on Willis St, I was almost freeeeeeeeeeeezing, a guy was serving free sandwich & lentil soup to ppl outside the cafe (he was freezing too). I tried a bit and surprisingly it was very nice, subsequenly bought crap milky Americano($3.20) with roasted beef sarnie ($7.50). It was yummy & a kind of new taste sandwich indeed. why don't you try

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 19th 2008 at 11:58 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:56 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Sorry just had to laugh at you lot complaining about the crap, cold mildew ridden houses in NZ. Where were you all living in the UK?? I've just spent a week farm sitting in North Devon, for a friend. She has a quaint, good old fashioned English cottage. Complete with hot and cold running damp spots. The solid fuel Rayburn was ace but only in one room, the wood burner would have been fantastic but it was so bloody windy I filled the living room with soot and smoke.The hot water had a mind of its own and stepping out of the shower was likely to induce hypothermia. But.. people have lived this way in this country for 100's of years. They'll get the house sorted eventually.But there are things you can do, install woodburners,insulate the walls and roof,keep the windows open enough to let air flow. Good grief how have the NZers lasted this long?? Surely they're not hardier than the Brits or have we just got spoiled over the years in new build, cosy boxes?
OK finished...shoot me down,
My mum got central heating installed (in a 130yr old house) about 4 years ago - my sister married a plumber Actually, can I recommend that all your children either become tradespeople or marry them - it's great. We've got a plumber, builder, roofer, carpenter and were just waiting on an electrician but my last available sister is gay. She got into more trouble for the lack of an electrician than she did for coming out

What you're saying is very true though - slowly, as people can afford it, houses will become warmer through insulation and different heating options. I'm always saying to keep money back to install heating in your house when you get here if it doesn't already have it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.