Oh bugger!!!

Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:07 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh bugger!!!

Originally Posted by sky
In my sons first year at his school think there were about 8 lol but the class size did increase as the year went on and it ended up with about 16. It's a rural school though.
My son at high school his class size is about 30.
Depending on where you're looking at, the choice seems to vary. Don't think private is necessarily as expensive as UK private. Another option, depending on what you're looking for there are Steiner schools in NZ that are state funded
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:09 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest son is diagnosed with adhd so the little classes gave him a real boost when he first started and I'm convinced he got a better start in life because of it. He has a brilliant mind but just needs help focusing and his first teacher was absolutely fantastic!
I really don't think he would have got that start in the uk.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the others, it definately depends on where you go.

I would say that if you are looking at coming out in January then you better get your flights and accomodation booked pretty damn quick as they'll be sold out soon and its the most expensive time to come here. If you can i'd go for February as it would be cheaper and easier to book!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:19 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
My youngest son is diagnosed with adhd so the little classes gave him a real boost when he first started and I'm convinced he got a better start in life because of it. He has a brilliant mind but just needs help focusing and his first teacher was absolutely fantastic!
I really don't think he would have got that start in the uk.
Same as you. Thats why we have kept him private (tried state school with disastarous effect).

I fancy the Whangarei area. Anyone have any ideas around this location? Aged 7 when we move.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:24 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rustie
I agree with the others, it definately depends on where you go.

I would say that if you are looking at coming out in January then you better get your flights and accomodation booked pretty damn quick as they'll be sold out soon and its the most expensive time to come here. If you can i'd go for February as it would be cheaper and easier to book!
Excuse any typo errors, it's not me, it's the gl ass of vodka hubby spring cleaned the keyboard with last nite!!
/I'm glad you mentioned private s chools, our2 eldest go to private school here and it's approx £6k a term for 2. Before they've hit the stationray shop, forgotten a packed lunch, and had to replace a games kit item! We will NOT be sending them to private school in NZ. We simply can't afford it now, or then and certainly not for 4 of them.
/They went to a village school here where there were, on average 25 kids in the whole school. But we paid for discipline, respect, manners, standards, education (yes in that order)!
Rather than send them to the local comp. I'm not a snob. I decided we would go without so they could have a good start. And we soooo do go without! Having said that, we have been ostracised in our village because of this, we are the "rich, spoilt, up themselves outsiders." Coz we've only been here 9 years!! Another reason we just want to be the same as everyone else in NZ, not exclude ourselves.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:33 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Excuse any typo errors, it's not me, it's the gl ass of vodka hubby spring cleaned the keyboard with last nite!!
/I'm glad you mentioned private s chools, our2 eldest go to private school here and it's approx £6k a term for 2. Before they've hit the stationray shop, forgotten a packed lunch, and had to replace a games kit item! We will NOT be sending them to private school in NZ. We simply can't afford it now, or then and certainly not for 4 of them.
/They went to a village school here where there were, on average 25 kids in the whole school. But we paid for discipline, respect, manners, standards, education (yes in that order)!
Rather than send them to the local comp. I'm not a snob. I decided we would go without so they could have a good start. And we soooo do go without! Having said that, we have been ostracised in our village because of this, we are the "rich, spoilt, up themselves outsiders." Coz we've only been here 9 years!! Another reason we just want to be the same as everyone else in NZ, not exclude ourselves.
Don't think anyone would knock you for wanting the best for your kids.

Me & Kev think that we would be failing in our job description if we did anything else. IMO its about giving them the opportunity to make the choices when they're the adults. PLEASE don't think that our kids are spoilt brats either, far from it
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:40 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Don't think anyone would knock you for wanting the best for your kids.

Me & Kev think that we would be failing in our job description if we did anything else. IMO its about giving them the opportunity to make the choices when they're the adults. PLEASE don't think that our kids are spoilt brats either, far from it
Actually - ours are pretty spoilt - but that's called lazy parenting/bribery!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Actually - ours are pretty spoilt - but that's called lazy parenting/bribery!!

LOL
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:56 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, we have been ostracised in our village because of this, we are the "rich, spoilt, up themselves outsiders." Coz we've only been here 9 years!! Another reason we just want to be the same as everyone else in NZ, not exclude ourselves.
Hey I lived in Camborne for 3 years. Tell me about it. Bloody pointy heads for neighbours
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:01 pm
Banned

Thats the thing we wouldnt be able to afford it if we moved over. But I wouldnt risk the upset we had last year. My boy really does command a lot of attention so would need to be in a small-ish class ie less than 20 otherwise its "pin out time".

I have checked HERE on some of the schools and they do seem to be small But then the reports mean nothing to me

All as we want is for him to have a rounded education. Bit like everyone I suppose.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:03 pm
bts016

bts016 will become famous soon enoughbts016 will become famous soon enough

I do sympathise with you. I had a great relationship with my parents in law for 20 years, and since they found out that I am taking the grandchildren to NZ I have been unwelcome in their home. My ex-husband asked me not to tell them so I didnt, and then he told them and didnt tell me that he had. I had a bizzarre conversation with them on the phone where they pretended everything was ok, only to discover from ex husband that they actually knew. All in all we cant live our lives for other people. I have to do this because if I dont try now I never will and I will always wonder 'what if...'. Havent even told my Dad yet, he's a recovering alcoholic (12 days dry now) how can I tell him I'm leaving? especially as my only sister emmigrated to Aus a year ago! ouch!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bts016
I do sympathise with you. I had a great relationship with my parents in law for 20 years, and since they found out that I am taking the grandchildren to NZ I have been unwelcome in their home. My ex-husband asked me not to tell them so I didnt, and then he told them and didnt tell me that he had. I had a bizzarre conversation with them on the phone where they pretended everything was ok, only to discover from ex husband that they actually knew. All in all we cant live our lives for other people. I have to do this because if I dont try now I never will and I will always wonder 'what if...'. Havent even told my Dad yet, he's a recovering alcoholic (12 days dry now) how can I tell him I'm leaving? especially as my only sister emmigrated to Aus a year ago! ouch!
Excatly Ouch indeed