British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Oh bugger!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oh-bugger-404453/)

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 5:59 pm

Oh bugger!!!

What have I done? :eek:

Aske my parents to look after the kids in January for a fortnight so that me and the wife can have a scouting trip.

Didnt take it well. Think old wounds (from 3 years ago) are about to open up :(

Why do you want to go there?

What about the kids?

What about the family?

I dont suppose it was every going to be easy. But.......

uk+kiwi Oct 26th 2006 7:43 pm

Re: Oh bugger!!!

Originally Posted by Jack Daws

Aske my parents to look after the kids in January for a fortnight so that me and the wife can have a scouting trip.

What about the kids?

What about the family?

Getting serious then!! Asking myself though why you are considering a move overseas given a support network (parents) that would look after your children for 2 whole weeks! That's bloody fantastic - you lucky things. :) Very jealous. What a holiday you'll have! Beware if you find NZ very peaceful though - it's just the lack of kids!! ;)

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Getting serious then!! Asking myself though why you are considering a move overseas given a support network (parents) that would look after your children for 2 whole weeks! That's bloody fantastic - you lucky things. :) Very jealous. What a holiday you'll have! Beware if you find NZ very peaceful though - it's just the lack of kids!! ;)

Just had my mother on the blower :rolleyes:

She's not happy about helping us. You know, to go and have a recce that will almost loose her her grandchildren. She say's not to book anything yet (like thats gonna change my mind :rolleyes: ). I think she's stalling, hoping that we will change our minds.

I feel that I need to get it out of my system. I have been thinking of moving over for about 4 years and its not gone away. I have to visit New Zealand anyway, just to see the place. It may not be what I have imagined and may well be a nice place for a holiday but just not a place for us to live. But I have to see.

Funny thing is my folks have a house in France that Im sure they will use for 2 weeks out of every month (pretty much do now) when she retires next year. But she doesnt want us to go to New Zealand because its too far and take too long.

Parents. Who'd have 'em :D

Am Loolah Oct 26th 2006 8:08 pm

She's not happy about helping us. You know, to go and have a recce that will almost loose her her grandchildren. She say's not to book anything yet (like thats gonna change my mind :rolleyes: ). I think she's stalling, hoping that we will change our minds.

I feel that I need to get it out of my system. I have been thinking of moving over for about 4 years and its not gone away. I have to visit New Zealand anyway, just to see the place. It may not be what I have imagined and may well be a nice place for a holiday but just not a place for us to live. But I have to see.

Funny thing is my folks have a house in France that Im sure they will use for 2 weeks out of every month (pretty much do now) when she retires next year. But she doesnt want us to go to New Zealand because its too far and take too long.

We've had similar, from my mother. If you search threads about Grandparents/Parents hpefully you'll find all the comments on that?
/We took all 4 of ours when we went out in the Spring so that they had some input too and now that it's a reality they are able to vocalise more about the areas they would like to be near and those they wouldn't. Makes no difference mind as quite clearly I am in charge and what ever I say goes! ;)

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We've had similar, from my mother. If you search threads about Grandparents/Parents hpefully you'll find all the comments on that?
/We took all 4 of ours when we went out in the Spring so that they had some input too and now that it's a reality they are able to vocalise more about the areas they would like to be near and those they wouldn't. Makes no difference mind as quite clearly I am in charge and what ever I say goes! ;)

Our kids are 2 and 6 so if theres a shop that sells Barbie or Pirate toys they are sold :rolleyes:

So your like me then? In charge :)

Ouch.... my missus as just hit me :D

uk+kiwi Oct 26th 2006 8:36 pm

Ahh good for you! Many people say visiting first makes no difference since you can't tell what a place is like to live in from a holiday and whilst I can see the truth in that statement, I think it's a great idea to visit first.

Personally wouldn't consider emigrating to a country I had never even visited, although that's not to say I wouldn't move to one - if you can understand the difference, which I would define as being all about intentions and/or timeframe - ie no harm in going with the flow if it's for an adventure/see how it goes/short term. You do of course get a good feel for a place by visiting, even for a holiday and an incling into what life is like there - ie the people, culture, sizes of places etc etc.

NZ is a lovely place, the people are brilliant, but do think small. :) Good luck!

uk+kiwi Oct 26th 2006 8:49 pm

hee hee :p

sky Oct 26th 2006 8:55 pm

If you can afford a visit then go for it (two weeks without kids .. bliss), I don't think two weeks is going to help you find out what the real nz is like but at least you'll get a glimpse.

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by sky
If you can afford a visit then go for it (two weeks without kids .. bliss), I don't think two weeks is going to help you find out what the real nz is like but at least you'll get a glimpse.

After the last 2 weeks I have had traveling Im not sure I want to book anything again :rolleyes:

We booked a weeks holiday for half term (cheapy one) to Minorca. Set the alarms ect. and slept in and missed the flights and lost the holiday :scared:

But we got to Gatwick and had paid for parking for the week so we booked a week in Sharm El Shiek (Egypt). Cost another £2000 :mad:

I got intergated in customs (long story), didint bring contact lenses (cost ££££) and then forgot the passports at the hotel on the way back (cost even more ££££) :eek:

But we enjoyed it :D

sky Oct 26th 2006 9:44 pm

After the last 2 weeks I have had traveling Im not sure I want to book anything again :rolleyes:

We booked a weeks holiday for half term (cheapy one) to Minorca. Set the alarms ect. and slept in and missed the flights and lost the holiday :scared:

But we got to Gatwick and had paid for parking for the week so we booked a week in Sharm El Shiek (Egypt). Cost another £2000 :mad:

I got intergated in customs (long story), didint bring contact lenses (cost ££££) and then forgot the passports at the hotel on the way back (cost even more ££££) :eek:

Adaptable and resilient then lol you'll do fine in NZ

Maz Oct 26th 2006 9:46 pm

D'Oh! D'Oh! And D'Oh! again, eh?

We're sort of in the same boat... we're going in probably October next year (we don't want to do it on a shoestring) but all 3 of us will be going. Mother-in-law is our babysitter, and we would really miss that if we moved. Our daughter is extremely close to her, so they'd miss each other terribly. My Dad has even offered us financial assistance to move back to England, rather than have us move halfway round the world from them. I don't think he realises how much England has changed since I was a child... I don't want my daughter growing up there.

If we decide NZ isn't for us - and we've agreed we want to make that decision pretty quickly when we're there - we'll just forget the idea and have the holiday of a lifetime.

P2L Oct 26th 2006 9:54 pm

What about the kids?

What about the family?

Do you think your mum will have my 3 for 2 weeks from next Thursday so I can go with hubby?!!! Lol

My MIL not keen on babysitting either and they want to come out eventually!!!

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Do you think your mum will have my 3 for 2 weeks from next Thursday so I can go with hubby?!!! Lol

My MIL not keen on babysitting either and they want to come out eventually!!!

Now I (well the missus) have just thought of one protential problem :rolleyes:

Our eldest goes to private school (not posh,a necessity) were the class size is about 16. He's need a lot of attention (like me :D ) and was thinking of class sizes in New Zealand.

Any ideas what the average class sizes are for 6-7 year olds?

PS I know its a "how longs a piece of string" question but thought I would ask anyway :)

sky Oct 26th 2006 10:04 pm

In my sons first year at his school think there were about 8 lol but the class size did increase as the year went on and it ended up with about 16. It's a rural school though.
My son at high school his class size is about 30.

Jack The Lad Oct 26th 2006 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by sky
In my sons first year at his school think there were about 8 lol but the class size did increase as the year went on and it ended up with about 16. It's a rural school though.
My son at high school his class size is about 30.

Thanks for that :)