Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christchurch, is is really like Cambridge UK?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thank you Mgee, saved me the job of intervening!

Let's get back on topic please folks. Thanks.
Why would you need to intervene? Or perhaps you are joking? Difficult to tell with some of you guys?

Surely the whole point of forums is for debate and opinion?

Just because one individual expresses an opinion (or perhaps a fact) that some other people do not agree with why does this make their opinion invalid?

If you only ever want positive comments posted and backslapping for those that argue against opinions over so called facts then perhaps you should pot a warning message for when you sign up to this forum.

Browners comments are just as valid as others on this subject and are probably just as factual (and are on certain points expressed).

Thank you.

Sorry should add a smiley face or thumbs up like the rest of you positive guys!!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broaders
Why would you need to intervene? Or perhaps you are joking? Difficult to tell with some of you guys?

Sorry should add a smiley face or thumbs up like the rest of you positive guys!!
Righty ho ...

I had meant it had saved me the task of trying to "intervene" to get the thread back on track ... you appear to have misunderstood me. As a moderator that's part of our "job".

It's not fair to the OP for the thread to go off in to a "it's great, it's crap here" tangent. It's not what the OP was asking, as far as I can ascertain. They were asking for specific comparisons between ChCh and Cambridge in the UK ...

I, and other users it would appear, felt the thread was going as little off track.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Righty ho ...

I had meant it had saved me the task of trying to "intervene" to get the thread back on track ... you appear to have misunderstood me. As a moderator that's part of our "job".

It's not fair to the OP for the thread to go off in to a "it's great, it's crap here" tangent. It's not what the OP was asking, as far as I can ascertain. They were asking for specific comparisons between ChCh and Cambridge in the UK ...

I, and other users it would appear, felt the thread was going as little off track.
I think its you and other users that have taken the thread off track with your 'attacks' on certain users opinions / comments.

Try and lighten up a bit - you guys are taking all this far too serious.

Cheerio.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:20 pm

Cool The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

After much pruning to try and keep the original thread on track, I decided to give you your own thread to carry on ...
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

So, just to confirm...is this the right room for an argument?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
So, just to confirm...is this the right room for an argument?
Be my guest ...
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Be my guest ...
The correct response is "I've told you once"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
Oh COME ON PEOPLE!
Why does every blimming thread have to turn into an argument about who's right and who's wrong about their perception and experiences of NZ? Clearly it is a matter of opinion whether you like NZ or a particular city or not.

Everyone has different reasons for moving, different expectations about life in NZ, different experiences along the way and in the end it is to some extent down to luck whether life in NZ really turns out to be what they expected it to be. Different people, different situations, different experiences equals different opinions and perceptions.

Yes, the "positive army" is prevalent on this site, but could it possibly be just because most people have positive experiences of NZ? Why shouldn't they tell others about their positive experiences and how lucky they feel they are? Isn't that exactly what people are after when moving to NZ, a better life? Why should they hide the fact that they got what they were looking for? And I'm all for posting also the negatives about NZ on the threads, but can it please be done constructively, with some reasoning and with some relevance to the topic of the thread? And can those with negative experiences also respect the fact that even if life in NZ is crap for them, it's not crap for everyone? Everyone has their own expectations that vary from one individual to another, and what bugs you might be completely ok for someone else and vice versa.

I SO loved the "Mixed thoughts and feelings" thread started by Dannigirl because in it people really analysed things and recognised that there's usually more than one side for every story and there are a lot of "on the one hand, on the other hand" -situations. People actually analysed things instead of just touting their own opinion as a fact, and in my opinion it was the best thread on this forum during these few months I've been following the discussions and really gave a balanced view of the good, the bad and the ugly of life in NZ. I get really disappointed each time when I see that an interesting topic has new posts in it, and then it turns out that the new posts are mostly about the old yes-no-yes-no argument and add very little new information to the original topic.

So come on people! None of us is more right than the others. Please keep posting your own experiences and opinions, but remember that the others are entitled to theirs as well. Let's all behave in the classroom and listen to the teacher now!
Thanks Mgee for your nice comments about the thread!

It's so easy to just spout off negatives about every country isn't it. I certainly could list 100s of things 'I dislike' about the UK. That would be easy, but it doesn't fix things for me or make things any better....in order to do that I need to change my attitude about things I cannot change or have no control over or do something about it i.e move home to NZ.

It is interesting to read the negative points, they are all subjective but informative nonetheless. Each to their own I guess. Most negative points are constructive. The two points that do annoy me are points about immigration, if you are an immigrant you can hardly complain about immigration or are British immigrants okay because they look like the majority of NZers. The second is when people forget that they are culturally in a very different country. The telly is different, food is different, language etc etc etc. Why do people underestimate the effect of culture shock. Just because you like something a certain way i.e fish and chips doesn't mean your way is right. I still prefer food at home but I know this is simply because it is what I have grown up with, not because it is better....all subjective.

Hope you find the place you belong Broaders and that you can take something positive from your experiences in NZ.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well, it's not the 'bundle' I was expecting & I had my popcorn and seat at the ready.

I'm sending karma for such a good post Dannigirl and some Mcgee's way too. That's not about me as a mod. That's about me as a BE user, a poster and a migrant. It echo's a lot of how I think.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:10 am

[QUOTE=BEVS;7672372]Well, it's not the 'bundle' I was expecting & I had my popcorn and seat at the ready.
/QUOTE]

Give it time!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Ah so this is the place to mention that CHCH is NZ's murder capital.
My dh hates CHCH with a passion...last time I went down there I said "don't be daft, it's not that bad, sure it's changed" then I was followed and escaped and a witness to a significantly serious random assault at 7.30 in the evening
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Thanks Mgee for your nice comments about the thread!

It's so easy to just spout off negatives about every country isn't it. I certainly could list 100s of things 'I dislike' about the UK. That would be easy, but it doesn't fix things for me or make things any better....in order to do that I need to change my attitude about things I cannot change or have no control over or do something about it i.e move home to NZ.

It is interesting to read the negative points, they are all subjective but informative nonetheless. Each to their own I guess. Most negative points are constructive. The two points that do annoy me are points about immigration, if you are an immigrant you can hardly complain about immigration or are British immigrants okay because they look like the majority of NZers. The second is when people forget that they are culturally in a very different country. The telly is different, food is different, language etc etc etc. Why do people underestimate the effect of culture shock. Just because you like something a certain way i.e fish and chips doesn't mean your way is right. I still prefer food at home but I know this is simply because it is what I have grown up with, not because it is better....all subjective.

Hope you find the place you belong Broaders and that you can take something positive from your experiences in NZ.

Whoopee!!!!

A little bit sad that you have to trawl through my previous posts to make your comments on matters I did not even refer to the Christchurch post but there again that about sums up a lot of the posters on this forum.

None of my comments on this original thread related to anything I may have posted before so why be so pathetic and comment on them on this one?

The point I was making was that some people on this forum don't like it when a negative point is made about this country and are all too quick in being quite nasty in their responses back.

An immigrant?? OMG I never realised that I would be classed as an immigrant when I came over here Thanks for pointing that one out to me.

Have a on me and relax a bit - that goes for you moderators as well.

There concludes my input on the matter.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broaders
Whoopee!!!!

A little bit sad that you have to trawl through my previous posts to make your comments on matters I did not even refer to the Christchurch post but there again that about sums up a lot of the posters on this forum.

None of my comments on this original thread related to anything I may have posted before so why be so pathetic and comment on them on this one?

The point I was making was that some people on this forum don't like it when a negative point is made about this country and are all too quick in being quite nasty in their responses back.

An immigrant?? OMG I never realised that I would be classed as an immigrant when I came over here Thanks for pointing that one out to me.

Have a on me and relax a bit - that goes for you moderators as well.

There concludes my input on the matter.

Actually I was referring to people usually posting more than one negative point, most people do not post one isolated experience or negative point...they usually have a few. You did make a list in a previous post that was part of a thread related to this, it wasn't my intention to single you out, lots of people make lists on here.

I don't see too many nasty comments about negative posts, people get sick of the same of drab negativity, mostly not coming from a fresh perspective. It doesn't take long to research what some of the down points to living in NZ are.

I'll pass on the beer thanks, bit early in the day for me.

You just seem determined to have an argument anyways. I think you are being as defensive if not more so than the people you complain about.

We can just agree to disagree.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:27 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Ah so this is the place to mention that CHCH is NZ's murder capital.
Really? I thought Auckland (South) had a higher number???
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

According to this article it's Wanganui, but that was in 2006. The statistics and population numbers are probably so small that it varies by year anyway; probably not much of a factor in choosing where to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.