Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
If you take his one post in this thread in isolation, then yes you'd think I have it in for him. However, if you do some more reading then you'd notice that on just about any topic, he has bitter words to type about NZ. To me, it's sad that someone could continue living in a place he feels so badly about; I think someone in that situation should either learn to feel better about his environment, or move to a place better suited to him.
I also get wound up when people use hyperbole to make NZ look worse than it is, and I think the posts immediately prior to this one would back me up on this.
Perhaps some people get wound up by other people putting on posts that portray NZ better than it actually is?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch, is is really like Cambridge UK?

Originally Posted by Broaders
Perhaps some people get wound up by other people putting on posts that portray NZ better than it actually is?
Yes, and quite right too.

But I have never seen the plus points of NZ exaggerated to anything near the ludicrous extent that the negatives so often are on this forum
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Yes, and quite right too.

But I have never seen the plus points of NZ exaggerated to anything near the ludicrous extent that the negatives so often are on this forum
Oh I don't know - I get the impression thate anyone with anything other than a positive comment seems to get shot down in flames by the usual suspects.

Just my opinion!!!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I don't know - I get the impression thate anyone with anything other than a positive comment seems to get shot down in flames by the usual suspects.

Just my opinion!!!
Well, we're all entitled to our opinion. But I think reasoned, accurate negative comments are generally well-received. It's just the exaggerated rantings - either way - which get a hostile reception
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Well, we're all entitled to our opinion. But I think reasoned, accurate negative comments are generally well-received. It's just the exaggerated rantings - either way - which get a hostile reception
One persons perception of exaggerated rantings is perhaps another persons valid and accurate opinion from their viewpoint of life in NZ, however negative or unpalatable this may be.

Everyone has a point of view and opinion - its just that some people don't seem to want to see the negative aspects / minus points of New Zealand in writing on this forum.

Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Well that would depend on the individual poster's perception of New Zealand.
Are you trying to say that 'New Zealand' is more 'style over substance'?

Last edited by janek; Jun 16th 2009 at 7:14 am.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

One persons perception of exaggerated rantings is perhaps another persons valid and accurate opinion from their viewpoint of life in NZ, however negative or unpalatable this may be.

Everyone has a point of view and opinion - its just that some people don't seem to want to see the negative aspects / minus points of New Zealand in writing on this forum.

No, I'm afraid that's where I disagree. Some of the negative stuff posted on this forum is extreme exaggeration to the point of being close to complete BS.

Example - "driving in NZ is worse than UK and a lot of drivers are total idiots" - a valid opinion, even if you don't agree
compare with:
"NZ drivers are the worst in the world and you can't go on the road without being surrounded by suicidal lunatics in souped-up, clapped out deathtraps" - a ridiculous exaggeration, indicating only that the author has never been to Turkey, Greece, Russia, Senegal, etc etc etc - where the driving is really bad
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, you wanna see bad driving to go Cairo, Egypt ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Well I for one do, I enjoy all aspects, but as lapsedkiwi said some of the opinions are just well 'over the top' [both positive and negative].

Browner sadly makes a number of asumptions for which he has no evidence, not a shred, the latest comment about the boy races being 'inbreds'.

Who knows whether they are inbred,? I don't and certainly Browner doesn't, not a clue... but he still goes ahead with the statement...

Actually I like Browner's posts, the world would be a duller place without him, he just needs to get a grip on himself.

Like you say Broaders; its only opinions....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh COME ON PEOPLE!
Why does every blimming thread have to turn into an argument about who's right and who's wrong about their perception and experiences of NZ? Clearly it is a matter of opinion whether you like NZ or a particular city or not.

Everyone has different reasons for moving, different expectations about life in NZ, different experiences along the way and in the end it is to some extent down to luck whether life in NZ really turns out to be what they expected it to be. Different people, different situations, different experiences equals different opinions and perceptions.

Yes, the "positive army" is prevalent on this site, but could it possibly be just because most people have positive experiences of NZ? Why shouldn't they tell others about their positive experiences and how lucky they feel they are? Isn't that exactly what people are after when moving to NZ, a better life? Why should they hide the fact that they got what they were looking for? And I'm all for posting also the negatives about NZ on the threads, but can it please be done constructively, with some reasoning and with some relevance to the topic of the thread? And can those with negative experiences also respect the fact that even if life in NZ is crap for them, it's not crap for everyone? Everyone has their own expectations that vary from one individual to another, and what bugs you might be completely ok for someone else and vice versa.

I SO loved the "Mixed thoughts and feelings" thread started by Dannigirl because in it people really analysed things and recognised that there's usually more than one side for every story and there are a lot of "on the one hand, on the other hand" -situations. People actually analysed things instead of just touting their own opinion as a fact, and in my opinion it was the best thread on this forum during these few months I've been following the discussions and really gave a balanced view of the good, the bad and the ugly of life in NZ. I get really disappointed each time when I see that an interesting topic has new posts in it, and then it turns out that the new posts are mostly about the old yes-no-yes-no argument and add very little new information to the original topic.

So come on people! None of us is more right than the others. Please keep posting your own experiences and opinions, but remember that the others are entitled to theirs as well. Let's all behave in the classroom and listen to the teacher now!

Last edited by Mgee; Jun 16th 2009 at 8:40 am. Reason: typos, typos...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mgee

You should have been nominated for post of the month!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
yes they all have the stupid boy racer exhaust systems and drive like monkeys on speed but they are a minority and do not race round hospital grounds
Oh no? Google it then.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Well, spot on Browner. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights are when those wa**ers come out to play. You will need ear plugs to sleep.

Just look at all, and I mean all the burnout marks down main and residential streets.
I live 10 k out of Chc and you can hear them, exhausts screaming tearing up the countryside.

These retards need putting down.

Be aware Chc is the hoon capital of NZ.
Ah, so Im not making it all up after all
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Just my opinion!!!
You are right Broaders
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

compare with:
"NZ drivers are the worst in the world and you can't go on the road without being surrounded by suicidal lunatics in souped-up, clapped out deathtraps" - a ridiculous exaggeration, indicating only that the author has never been to Turkey, Greece, Russia, Senegal, etc etc etc - where the driving is really bad
"NZ drivers are almost the worst in the world and you can't go on the road without being surrounded by suicidal lunatics in souped-up, clapped out deathtraps"

There, you cant argue with that now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.