NZs unemployment

Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:09 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZs unemployment

Another scary thread. We see a lot of IT jobs being advertised to the point that OH was rather confident he'd find something if and when we got there, but after reading around on the internet it seems things aren't so rosy out there
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:24 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kija
Another scary thread. We see a lot of IT jobs being advertised to the point that OH was rather confident he'd find something if and when we got there, but after reading around on the internet it seems things aren't so rosy out there
It's natural to be scared Kija, but don't sweat it too much. My favourite phrase is "things are never as good or as bad as they seem". Sure NZ (or anywhere else for that matter) ain't the land of milk and honey, but neither is it a giant trap laid specifically with the intent of knackering immigrants lives. Like everything else in life, you have to do your research VERY carefully and make sure you're as prepared as possible - if that means postponing a full-time move until you've nailed down a guaranteed job then so be it. That's the minimum safety net my risk-averse self requires!

I've always found that if you've got the skills that are required and one day you happen upon an interview where the chap/chapess on the other side of the desk likes you and reckons you'll fit in with the rest of the bods at the company, unemployment tends to go away!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

I think teeym has made a great point - maybe wait until your dh has a firm job offer before making the move. Both dh and i are teachers and managed to get jobs while in the UK - we weren't going until at least one of us had one!

Good luck with the job hunting and hope to hear some good news soon
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The recession is worldwide , so it is to be expected.

Why not contact folk at THE WELLIES (click link) for starters.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

You know 'The Wellies' is no more, it was merged with another group about a year ago:

Unlimited Potential http://www.up.org.nz/
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nope. Did not. But it links OK.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:20 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
It's natural to be scared Kija, but don't sweat it too much. My favourite phrase is "things are never as good or as bad as they seem". Sure NZ (or anywhere else for that matter) ain't the land of milk and honey, but neither is it a giant trap laid specifically with the intent of knackering immigrants lives. Like everything else in life, you have to do your research VERY carefully and make sure you're as prepared as possible - if that means postponing a full-time move until you've nailed down a guaranteed job then so be it. That's the minimum safety net my risk-averse self requires!

I've always found that if you've got the skills that are required and one day you happen upon an interview where the chap/chapess on the other side of the desk likes you and reckons you'll fit in with the rest of the bods at the company, unemployment tends to go away!
Thanks teeym, your logical post has lessened the panicky feelings I've been having the problem about securing a job is most employers won't give us the time of day or ask us to enquire once we're actually there.

TBH even though we're rather worried about finding jobs, we hate our lives here so much we're pretty much prepared to do anything it takes, hence my asking about dishwashing jobs because I would seriously consider doing that rather than have to come back

I totally agree with your last comment, if you have the needed skills (hopefully) you get the job the thing that may be in our interest is that the company that OH works for has a branch in Wellington. How are things your side?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:39 pm
We're HERE!!!

Originally Posted by BEVS

Massive thanks for this Bevs, will pass it on to OH

H x.

edit: Bo Jangles yup but they have a link to the new URL

Last edited by Kija; Nov 10th 2009 at 12:42 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:33 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There is a difference NZ Incorporated are still advertising, despite the ever growing dole queue encouraging migrants to come here, still picking 600+ Skilled Migrant applications per fortnight and pushing folks through the system.

NZIS website hasn't changed it's stance at all it still says:

They're still happy to keep processing and bringing in the application fees, knowing full well the opportunities at present are pretty bleak. That's just wrong.

You're right though, it's not hard to find the negative and realistic views and opinions on NZ, but you do have to wade through a bloomin' lot of syrup and sugar coating before you find the underlying nitty gritty. Nobody wants to hear the bad stuff and unfortunately the few voices from the dark who dare to say it on forums such as this, are all too often drowned out or jumped upon for having bad attitudes, or ridiculed for having got themselves into a tricky situation.
Well, maybe it's a difference in perspective, but I am surprised people expect NZIS (whatever that is) to look out for their best interests. NZIS presumably has a mandate to bring immigrants in by the government - they don't have the mandate to change government policy and throw up a big DON'T COME TO NZ sign on the website. And I would have thought that it's up to the immigrant who is presumably a free adult with the ability to make up his/her own mind to do their own research about something that is going to directly impact his/her future and children's future, for starters.

Sorry for the long sentence there. Har.

The other phrase is bolded because as I said before, I don't think it's just NZIS to blame. Hello, personal responsibility. Do people get ridiculed for talking about the dark side? I hope not, I don't get that to be honest.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't seem to get a job offer, despite some encouraging words from job agencies that things will pick up. I have a job here, but will I be as fortunate over there....
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:26 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I still can't seem to get a job offer, despite some encouraging words from job agencies that things will pick up. I have a job here, but will I be as fortunate over there....
Well...

If it's anything similar to what happened to my OH...

Hays, BBt & many others he contacted prior to us arriving were like yeah yeah definitely, no worries, we're very interested...

Now, he's been here 5months and N O T H I N G...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
That's easy for them to say!!
They keep saying it's improving here on the news!
But, after job searching for the past 4 months this year, it seems more hopeless than ever at the moment.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:44 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
That's easy for them to say!!
They keep saying it's improving here on the news!
But, after job searching for the past 4 months this year, it seems more hopeless than ever at the moment.
Agreed!

Although i have a job & am recruiting for Room Attendants... Received 200+ CVs in 24hrs & some of them have so much experience they could do my job
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I've started looking for work in Chch though not as seriously as I should yet, so far there has been little come up that is suitable. Need to start in the beginning of Feb so still plenty of time for something to come up...
I do have that little niggling feeling at the back of my consciousness that wonders what will happen if nothing turns up. We can live on Mr Sue's wage but I'll be bored silly- I'm not the stay at home housework type. I'm more the 'does the carpet really need hoovering yet and dust,what dust?' kinda girl
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

well.. work has slowed over the last year.. but only to a point where its bearable as in, you can actually look up over the pile on your desk

we are seeing the rural sector starting to pick up and what with the dairy price being increased by 96c then there is going to be more money in the system for development etc.

All in all i think there is a feeling of a turning point. We have taken on another member of staff to help with a bulge in work ( just a temp) but i suspect we might carry on with them if this steady tickle turns into a stream

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.