Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:46 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ will never grow!

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
re: aboriginal communities.
But the inhabitants of those outback communities aren't turning up in their hundreds in the more affluent areas of Queensland looking for assistance.
I think we have our wires crossed Expat Kiwi! I was initially responding to a poster who was saying living in NZ felt like a third world country- not related to ditch hopping!

Sorry if I've been confusing
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:09 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Not a problem
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:46 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
You clearly haven't met by daughter's boyfriend, coming to an episode of Kalgoorlie cops soon no doubt ...
Has there ever been a mother who did like her daughters boyfriend? I don't ever recall any mother saying:

"Yes, he's more than good enough for my daughter. He is very polite, well spoken and intelligent."

It's never happened, daughters just don't date men like that. Men like that are busy beavering away building the next google, curing cancer or solving hitherto intractable problems. That sort of thing that is incompatible with the parties your daughter goes to .
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Depends what age the daughter is. My Mum was rather relieved .
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Has there ever been a mother who did like her daughters boyfriend? I don't ever recall any mother saying:

"Yes, he's more than good enough for my daughter. He is very polite, well spoken and intelligent."

It's never happened, daughters just don't date men like that. Men like that are busy beavering away building the next google, curing cancer or solving hitherto intractable problems. That sort of thing that is incompatible with the parties your daughter goes to .
Or maybe it's the women who are out building the next Google and curing cancer? Apparently there's a paucity of intelligent, educated men in New Zealand. Who knew!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/54...he-perfect-man
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ will never grow!

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Or maybe it's the women who are out building the next Google and curing cancer? Apparently there's a paucity of intelligent, educated men in New Zealand. Who knew!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/54...he-perfect-man
Hopefully Kiwi!

There is still a glass ceiling in business and I think there need to be a brave few to change perceptions. I don't know about in New Zealand but in Germany (which one tends to think of as a more equal society, maybe? ):
Although 47% of all [German] workers and employees are female, only 33% are in higher positions. In top positions and the level of senior decision-makers, just 21% are female.

In Germany's 600 most important companies, there are only 42 women out of 1,721 board members, which is a proportion of 2.4% and this small figure has been declining since 2005.

The share of female entrepreneurs setting up businesses is increasing slowly, but women still account for no more than 29% of all German start-ups.

There are about 520,000 companies managed by female entrepreneurs, which is 18% of all German companies but – for a range of reasons – they produce only 5.6% of the total turnover of German firms.

Another interesting ratio is the number of daughters taking over family businesses: just 10%.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I think the huge problems facing the country can be summed up thus:

1. A "lost generation" of skilled young who have moved, or will move, abroad, often not to return. The skill and tax base goes with them.

2. No culture of saving for retirement. Say what you will about "Bankrupt Britain", but at least most people reaching retirement there have some form of tax-incentivised pension pot to draw upon. Kiwis don't, and most don't even understand that this is an undesirable and unusual thing.

3. A people-pleasing Prime Minister and political system unprepared to take tough decisions about, for example, point 2 (e.g. raising retirement age in keeping with other Western Govts).

It will be interesting to see how long it takes before world markets wake up to this apparently unsustainable situation.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Default Re: NZ to grow?

I moved to NZ speculativley......just returned from business in Adelaide and Brisbane. NZ has a unique quality, steadfast and resilient. I can only tell you that it was a life move for us, not very easy coming to the other side of the world. Aus is great..NZ is great..comparisons are not the issue....build a bridge, lets trade and be prosper......china is expanding way beyond either of the aforementioned. Cheers........take care......john
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:51 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Depends what age the daughter is. My Mum was rather relieved .
My father was He kept telling me a rolling stone gathered no moss. I thought that was great!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I doubt that NZ has the potential growth of Oz. Oz is a rich country with untapped mineral wealth and opportunities for growth. It also attracts more professionals because it pays them more. If they were equal why is there no two-way traffic between Oz and NZ? Very few Ozzies would give up their life-style to move to NZ. I think the quality of life here has got worse in the past few years and doubt it will every improve.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I doubt that NZ has the potential growth of Oz. Oz is a rich country with untapped mineral wealth and opportunities for growth. It also attracts more professionals because it pays them more. If they were equal why is there no two-way traffic between Oz and NZ? Very few Ozzies would give up their life-style to move to NZ. I think the quality of life here has got worse in the past few years and doubt it will every improve.
I agree, I think long term the business outlook for NZ is poor. Madly overpriced currency, daft administration, crap wages, crap infrastructure and a brain drain to boot. Fortunately Kate is in nursing in a very well funded and well paid discipline. NZ is a very cool place to live but if you are going to be reliant on a good wage in the private (or most public sector jobs TBH) NZ is not the best. Very poor wage economy with everything else that really needs high wages to pay for it. Thus sooooooooooooooo many NZers are poor..if not quite poor. Which is sad.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
I agree, I think long term the business outlook for NZ is poor. Madly overpriced currency, daft administration, crap wages, crap infrastructure and a brain drain to boot. Fortunately Kate is in nursing in a very well funded and well paid discipline. NZ is a very cool place to live but if you are going to be reliant on a good wage in the private (or most public sector jobs TBH) NZ is not the best. Very poor wage economy with everything else that really needs high wages to pay for it. Thus sooooooooooooooo many NZers are poor..if not quite poor. Which is sad.
Very true. And many of them know no better (see also: never being frozen in your own home, owning a 2-3 year old car, having a pension pot).

After dipping my toe in the NZ job market water for a couple of months and receving a bemusing total of zero interview offers I will be dusting off my Aus passport and joining the exodus as soon as the RWC concludes. It's pretty grim applying for similar roles to my last (but with 30-50% pay cuts) and hearing nothing. I don't need to put up with that.

Nice to visit, can't live there.

Sad, insular, misguided. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Last edited by DC10; Sep 5th 2011 at 3:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Very true. And many of them know no better (see also: never being frozen in your own home, owning a 2-3 year old car, having a pension pot).

After dipping my toe in the NZ job market water for a couple of months and receving a bemusing total of zero interview offers I will be dusting off my Aus passport and joining the exodus as soon as the RWC concludes. It's pretty grim applying for similar roles to my last (but with 30-50% pay cuts) and hearing nothing. I don't need to put up with that.

Nice to visit, can't live there.

Sad, insular, misguided. Sad. Sad. Sad.
NZ needs a psyche transplant I reckon and a totally different attitude to well everything if they want to go anywhere. Fortunately as I have mentioned we are shielded from most of the work crap as Kate has a very good one with endless tenure and healthy pay. However some of her colleagues still have a shite attitude which appears to prevail thru out the country. I am trying to get a new roof on my house and the problems getting some one to my door are unbelievable, just for the frigging quote!!! Then getting them or should I say nurturing them into getting me the quote is laughable when they tell me work is thin on the ground. They are a bunch of lazy wankers with no work ethic. Out of 16 I contacted only 5 turned up after I had to ring all of them to ask why they had not been round yet!! And then with the exception of one I had to nag all of them for the qoute and most of the quotes had glaring errors in them re stuff they missed off etc. Pathetic, hopless, utterly bloody useless.

BTW all the quotes were madly over expensive as I have discovered after getting all parts of the job individually priced which will be much cheaper..so they want to rip me off too. Nice.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:39 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ needs a psyche transplant I reckon and a totally different attitude to well everything if they want to go anywhere. Fortunately as I have mentioned we are shielded from most of the work crap as Kate has a very good one with endless tenure and healthy pay. However some of her colleagues still have a shite attitude which appears to prevail thru out the country. I am trying to get a new roof on my house and the problems getting some one to my door are unbelievable, just for the frigging quote!!! Then getting them or should I say nurturing them into getting me the quote is laughable when they tell me work is thin on the ground. They are a bunch of lazy wankers with no work ethic. Out of 16 I contacted only 5 turned up after I had to ring all of them to ask why they had not been round yet!! And then with the exception of one I had to nag all of them for the qoute and most of the quotes had glaring errors in them re stuff they missed off etc. Pathetic, hopless, utterly bloody useless.

BTW all the quotes were madly over expensive as I have discovered after getting all parts of the job individually priced which will be much cheaper..so they want to rip me off too. Nice.
So a brief synopsis would be: Lovin' it!

When our building inspection was done we pointed out we wanted a new roof on the pergola at the back of the house and he offered a rough guide of $800-1000. Needless to say when we had purchased said house the written quote came in at >$4000. When I referred him to his earlier verbal quote he said "but you do want me to do a good job, right?". HAHAHAHAHA.

Clearly I shall be doing the roof when this semester is over.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:08 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Never grow? People have been saying that for 50 years. The perception overseas, I think, is that NZ is looking good, hence one of the reasons for the high dollar. We have 2 of the fastest growing economies in our vicinity, and they'll be wanting food and timber. The grass and water aren't going anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.