Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Wikiposts

NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:29 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ will never grow!

Talking to some friends in the UK starting graduate jobs now (proper graduates BEng, BBS, BSc etc), usually being paid between £21-24k/yr (those that can even find jobs! ) which is probably about the same starting rate as New Zealand (but our unemployment rate is lower).

The thing is I can’t see the trend reversing soon either. These last couple of years have been tough on New Zealand, no one could foresee the scale of natural disasters, but we’ve been making progress in the right direction despite the setbacks.

- Both the UK and NZ are aiming to balance their budgets by 2015.
- New Zealand has a debt to GDP ratio is about 25% and the UK is about 75%.
- New Zealand external debt is at U.S. $ 33,418 per capita, the UK is at about U.S. $ 144,757 per capita.
- GDP per capita of New Zealand is $32,145/per capita while the UK is at about $36,120/per capita.
(Statistics taken from wikipedia)

So I suspect we’ll continue in this direction compared to the UK for a while, we have less of a hole to dig ourselves out of than the UK. I think it also makes clear why the trapdoor has just fallen open in the UK regarding their debt problems. Their financial success during the property bubble, at least in part, appears to have been a house of cards IMO.

Edited to add: In the interests of full disclosure I’m not an economist and it’s possible someone better informed could throw more light on the issue. That said the statistics appear pretty startling for the UK.

Last edited by Charismatic; Jun 25th 2011 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:29 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ will never grow!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Edited to add: In the interests of full disclosure I’m not an economist
"Real" economists will no doubt try and make it much more complicated, it is however brutally simple as you have said.

Don´t mention the "T for
Spoiler:
Trend
" word though, Genesis´blood presure starts to rise....
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
"Real" economists will no doubt try and make it much more complicated, it is however brutally simple as you have said.

Don´t mention the "T for
Spoiler:
Trend
" word though, Genesis´blood presure starts to rise....
OMG..you said the 'T' word. Well thats my weekend ruined.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:38 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
OMG..you said the 'T' word. Well thats my weekend ruined.
Hey, you clicked my spoiler!!!

Weekends nearly over anyway, good job I like my work
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ will never grow!

New Zealands public debt is 31% of GDP, Net external debt is 127% of GDP.
UK’s public debt is 76.7% of GDP, Net external debt is 398% of GDP. <--Beany's fault! Location, location...double mortgage to foreign lender.
Ireland’s public debt is 93.6% of GDP, Net external debt is 1224% of GDP.<-- Built more houses than they now have people. Your children can have a full size playhouse.
Greece’s public debt is 130.2% of GDP, Net external debt is 165% of GDP. <--Pay taxes and stop being corrupt? We'll riot to keep corruption, it's our culture.

From that Ireland appears particularly bad in terms of private sector debt but it turns out no one is worried about you or me meeting repayments, we are safe. People are worried about states meeting their debt obligations.

Last year New Zealand added 3.3% to our public debt, <--How much for a MPs Limo? Outrageous, should have got a Toyota Corolla.
UK added 13.3%, <-- Busy with foreign war and collapsing banks.
Ireland added 12.2%, <-- Reading up on recession and making a plan.
Greece added 9.8%. <-- Rioting and robbing their children of futures.

So as you can see the UK and Ireland have years before they catch Greece even though they are running a higher rate of debt accumulation. As I’m sure you can imagine the difference between NZ trimming 3.3% and the UK trying to trim 13.3% of GDP by 2015 will also play into our hands. Also Ireland has made deeper cuts for 2011 to reduce their deficit so they are seen as less of a threat, the Greeks on the other hand are rioting and not cutting spending back so they are very risky. Reflected in the countries credit ratings:
New Zealand – AA+ <--Recession, will we get it as well?
UK – AAA <--In a spot of bother but not yet serious.
Ireland – BBB+ <-- In big trouble and dealing with the problem
Greece – CCC <----Lowest rating you can get without actually defaulting!

New Zealand doesn’t get the AAA because our economy isn’t diversified enough (what happens if people stop drinking milks and eating sheeps? ) but we should keep our current rating, the UK and U.S. might fall back a notch.

Ideally we’ll stabilize spending and balance our budget, when things get better start to get better buy back our debt so our children aren't left with the bills . What I'm really saying, in a very long winded way, is that we have been prudent and are in no danger as long as you lot keep working.

So yeah...the thread title may be innacurate IMO.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future

Well, I would tend to disagree with the title of the room. I have been in auckland for ten days now. We are just getting settled and I feel comfportable with the growing activity I am seeing reklated to infrastructure development. Projects in Energy generation will top over $100m of investment in new generation development, transport investment will exceed $500m over the next three years and there are discussions regarding ports and harbours and new manufacturers currently on the table across both sides of the island. I advise banks and investors. By the way my move was permanent !!...............All the best folks
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:41 am
Just Joined

MikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really nice

Originally Posted by nzexpert
NZ south island is one of the emptiest part of NZ more like a huge farm with a few locals and farmers, with the strive to bring Asians and from other parts of Europe, the effort is merely useless after the few earthquakes that occurred in Christchurch in the recent times which got most of the investors scared to even step into the south island, New Zealand should improve and make it easy to bring more migrant workers investors in order to improve the quality of living and increasing jobs and businesses around the south region.

No wonder why most of the nzers are flocking to Aussie for a better lifestyle and pay!!!! what a shame...

NZ will take another 100 years to be 5 million in population lol.. figure that in low wage terms just get lower and lower the wages and tax get higher..

And about the south island lol who would wanna go to that shaked zone, most of the Asian and outside investors left now and probably aint ever coming back and NZers are flocking off to Ozzie for a better lifestyle and wages..

Gotta tell ya mate NZ is lost!

Jim
Thats made my day, if NZ were to grow and population rise It might lose that charm which is the reason why many of us decide to go there-let them flock off to OZ!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 9:42 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

If the economy in Oz were to go belly up does that mean Aussies would flock to New Zealand?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
If the economy in Oz were to go belly up does that mean Aussies would flock to New Zealand?
Now there's a thought
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ will never grow! altered by request to ---> NZ's economy is unlikely to grow

Another thread I missed
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:04 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Highly unlikely, they'd follow the money (jobs) and head for Asia, Middle East etc.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Highly unlikely.....I would rather return to the UK
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

MikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Highly unlikely.....I would rather return to the UK
Thats interesting, why the UK over NZ ?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeAlly
Thats interesting, why the UK over NZ ?
Because NZ is a dull, virtually third world, country
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:32 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Grayling
Because NZ is a dull, virtually third world, country
Yes but Oz is, well full of Aussies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.