Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ university fees?

NZ university fees?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:37 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ university fees?

I think people are nearly talking at cross purposes here when discussing the cost of the course and then any allowances and loans.

Fees for university
Your family member is eligible to pay only local rates (eg $4000) rather than international student rates (eg $15000) if you are a permanent resident.

Student Allowance
To be eligible for this you need to have held PR for 2 years info about the allowance here and a glossary/explanation of terms
here.

Note, that the Student Loan does not have the 2 year requirement. That requires a minimum of permanent residency. That studylink link (the second one)specifically says that. Within the student loan system there is an option to seek living costs. But, unlike the student allowance your children would need to pay that back.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

macmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nice

So can I assume that if I was living in NZ as a permanent resident, irrespective of the visa that I gain residency under, that my kids could go to university and only have to pay $4000 per year (ooops, my mistake - I would only have to pay $4000 per year [/COLOR]
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macmattom
So can I assume that if I was living in NZ as a permanent resident, irrespective of the visa that I gain residency under, that my kids could go to university and only have to pay $4000 per year (ooops, my mistake - I would only have to pay $4000 per year [/COLOR]
yes because one would assume they would have PR status too....

Or rather than paying for it yourself - they could just get student loans and then pay it back themselves lol