British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ university fees? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-university-fees-657793/)

macmattom Mar 4th 2010 4:16 pm

NZ university fees?

Does anybody know the rules on university fees in NZ? I'd be looking at my kids moving out with me and enrolling immediately, so guess we'd not be entitled to any reductions. If anybody knows anything about this, I'd be grateful for any info.

Cheers, :beer:

Mac

Wooly_Cow Mar 4th 2010 6:53 pm

Re: NZ university fees?

Basically if you get PR then your kids will qualify as local students and pay accordingly. they will also be eligible for any loans and grants your income dictates.

Without PR they will pay International rates which for tutition fees are many times higher.

Justcol Mar 4th 2010 8:31 pm

thats it exactly

macmattom Mar 4th 2010 9:48 pm

Sorry - being a bit of a dunce :o , and although I've managed to decipher many abbreviations (I'm in the military - we live by TLAs (three letter abbreviations ;)) I'm struggling with PR - Permanent Residence, by chance?

Any confirmation or explanation greatly received.

Cheers,

Mac.

Wooly_Cow Mar 4th 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by macmattom (Post 8394620)
Sorry - being a bit of a dunce :o , and although I've managed to decipher many abbreviations (I'm in the military - we live by TLAs (three letter abbreviations ;)) I'm struggling with PR - Permanent Residence, by chance?

Any confirmation or explanation greatly received.

Cheers,

Mac.

Sorry, posting on these boards for ages, you sort of get used to speaking in TLA's.

PR is indeed permanent residency.

There are actually two levels of PR, the first being usually for the first two years and is RRV which means you get a Returning Residents Visa which is valid for two years = you can come and go in NZ for two years. After that period subject to you being in NZ for most of the time (and/or other criteria) you can get iRRV (Indefinite RRV) which means you can come and go from New Zealand effectively for ever (again there are restrictions and conditions).

After now 5 years of Residency (again more conditions as well) you can apply to become a citizen.

For some loans and banking purposes having iRRV is important (not for all banks though).

For education only having PR is important. If you have that you are treated as a national for all costs (school fees, university fees etc) and rights

If you become a citizen there are certain benefits regarding the costs of going to an Australian university. But the benefits to NZ citizens in Australia have been cut back recently in other areas so don't count on the education ones staying in place.

Hope that explains

j19fmm Mar 5th 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8394087)
Basically if you get PR then your kids will qualify as local students and pay accordingly. they will also be eligible for any loans and grants your income dictates.

Without PR they will pay International rates which for tutition fees are many times higher.

If you have WTR (Work to Residency) or a straight Work Visa the kids schooling is covered too, no?:confused:

teebrown Mar 5th 2010 5:03 pm

Hi McMatton, I have just started a degree in Midwifery and as I have only been over here a year I'm not eligible for any loans or student money until my 2 year point. (If anyone out there knows any different please let me know).

Which force are you in? we were Military in UK and now hubby is NZDF.

Good luck

macmattom Mar 5th 2010 5:54 pm

Hi teebrown - the only force that counts: Royal Air Force :thumbsup:. What was hubby in?

I know quite a few Brit military who have participated in Ex LONGLOOK, the 4-month exchange. It's amazing how many of them return to the UK just to close down their affairs, pack their bags and turn straight around. Wish I'd been that lucky :curse:.

Good luck with the course :thumbsup:.

teebrown Mar 5th 2010 6:05 pm

Ha, Hubby was in the force just above the RAF - Army!!

Best of luck with the move. :p

bourbon-biscuit Mar 5th 2010 6:44 pm

I think teebrown is right and the above posters are not quite right in that you need to have been here for 2 years to get at least the living costs loan, although I'm not sure about the course fees loan but I think that has a 2 year threshold too.

macmattom Mar 5th 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 8396934)
Ha, Hubby was in the force just above the RAF - Army!!

Best of luck with the move. :p

I spotted your deliberate spelling mistake - you meant "farce" :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Gill and Rob Mar 5th 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 8396777)
Hi McMatton, I have just started a degree in Midwifery and as I have only been over here a year I'm not eligible for any loans or student money until my 2 year point. (If anyone out there knows any different please let me know).

Good luck

Are you paying International fees or domestic fees?
If you have PR, then you can apply for a student loan etc. It is not time dependant.
Check out the Studylink web site.

Cheers
Gill

Wooly_Cow Mar 6th 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 8395883)
If you have WTR (Work to Residency) or a straight Work Visa the kids schooling is covered too, no?:confused:

Don't know about WTR but your work visa needs to be for 2 years or over to get local education costs (I think)

soulfly69 Mar 13th 2010 10:16 am

Sorry if Tee Brown reads this we are currently in the process of applying to the nz army from the brits and wondered if we could pick someones brains that has done it. Hubby is L/CPL intelligence so a critical trade and rank apparently but we have so many questions interview is 24th march in london and would be so grateful of any words to the wise you could give us the interviewers are captain barcley and wo1 groomsbridge..:)

bananalana Mar 13th 2010 12:47 pm

I went to UNi with an English girl who came with her parents. I paid $5000 a year tuition and she paid $16k a year for the first two years. She coudnt get a student loan. Nor a student benefit (for living expenses - like $180 a week I think which you DO NOT have to pay back) until she had been there for 2 years.

Also, if your children are under 25, then parents ncome is taken into consideration in regards to the student benefit and if the parents make over a certain threshhold then the children are not entitled to a student benefit. Though they can borrow a student allowance of about the same amount as the benefit but they have to PAY IT BACK (like a loan - my sister had to do this). Once the kids are entitled to a student loan (to pay for tuition) then parent income doesnt come into it at all (except for the allowance/benefit then they have to be over 25 for your income not to be considered)

I finished studying half way through 2007 so thats how it was then and I dont think it has changed but maybe.