Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is so expensive

NZ is so expensive

Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ is so expensive

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
...... and sadly the only body scrub I found in was $40 in the pharmacy http://evolu.com/exfoliating-body-polish.html one other piddly little Linden Leaves one was $30.50

So I'll make do with sugar and olive oil from the larder and then let my fingers do the walking at M&S. They have a buy one get one half price on beauty and skincare products at the moment, so that's my Saturday evening entertainment sorted.
The sell palmers coco-butter at the warehouse for $10 also at our radius pharmacy and pak n save. Palmers is the best around (imo)
Kaz
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Too true - the important things in life. Now, if you don't succeed I have a recommendation. I have been reading up on the wonders of coconut oil. Apparently it helps prevent skin damage from the sun and age spots (my issue du jour). I've tried it out and it gives a nice result. Not cheap at about $15 for a small jar, but if you like it you can buy in bulk on the internet which is much cheaper.
Jam jar sized jars of coconut oil in Pakn'Save international section for $10- don't know if that is the stuff you're referring to or if that compares favourably but I saw it and, as they say, thought of you!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:01 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Jam jar sized jars of coconut oil in Pakn'Save international section for $10- don't know if that is the stuff you're referring to or if that compares favourably but I saw it and, as they say, thought of you!
Brill thanks - that's a good price.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
But the perception always was that NZ was a cheap place to live so taking a pay cut would work out. The thread has kinda gone off on two tangents, pay and cost of living. Of course people want different things in life, some want retail therapy every weekend, others want sport and the outdoors so of course things will affect them differently. However, people need to know that it is a myth (in general) that NZ is a cheap place to live when you take into account real incomes.
Many of us have said this is the case and many of us have been told "not-so". Mainly this has come from Kiwis, and expat-Kiwis, but sometimes from Pomms. Fair comment but it is a point for debate and is useful to keep discussing it.
There are a few articles in the Herald today on this very subject.

One is here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10764211

To summarize, Kiwis that have left for Australia want to return but can't afford to because the wages in NZ are too low and the cost of living in NZ is too high.

Now I don't think that the NZ Herald can be accused of having "pommie blinkers" on but I would like to see what the NZ apologists come up with to dismiss this one.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:34 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the main thrust of this thread is NZ v UK, and it is probably too close to call, but most would already agree that NZ comes out less well against OZ.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that article was interesting and it's finally touching the Kiwis that this place is expensive and that jobs are becoming hard to find for some of them too.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 5:10 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clappy
To summarize, Kiwis that have left for Australia want to return but can't afford to because the wages in NZ are too low and the cost of living in NZ is too high.
Statistically (I believe), the cost of living in Australia is higher than NZ (as Australia is against the UK also). It's the wages that make all the difference, especially in the forestry/mining type sectors. Some of the wages you can get there are astronomical. In some of the other sectors, the gap isn't as marked. Nor is the unemployment rates. NZ unemployment = 6.6%. Australia is 5.2% (courtesy of google).

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 6th 2011 at 5:14 am.