Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is so expensive

NZ is so expensive

Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ is so expensive

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Because therein lies a big point of difference: by our very nature emigrees to NZ we're not what could be considered low wage earners by any stretch of the usual imagination. We generally are professional or senior trades types who probably in the past 'mostly' did not have to scratch around looking for the cheapest option. We 'mostly' managed to live comfortably within our means and this comes as quite a surprise and quite a challenge to many of us to balance the books in the same way when we get to NZ. i.e. being a certain trade or profession should generally afford you xyz in terms of lifestyle.

There are people here that never in their life would have thought about joining a UK centric forum to discuss the price of fish or baked beans, people that never had to think twice about the cost of a loaf of bread; never mind the bigger worries about the issues of leaving the lights or heating on. Myself I never thought once, let alone twice about them. I was cold, I put the heating on; no debate, no guilt, no worries about the cost, there was no discussion and no shadow of a doubt that it would be any different if I were still in the UK today.

I agree it's not about averages and cost of individual items or exchange rates, however the big picture is people are not generally not better off by moving to NZ . Managing the budget IS a lot more difficult for a LOT of people. If it doesn't apply to you, then move on. I don't understand why people continue to try to close down the discussion, when it is clearly an issue for a lot of other people and has been for a long time; notwithstanding the present economic climate with recessions and exchange rates having skewed everything beyond recognition.

To belittle those people who do find it difficult to manage 'within their means' is very overbearing and condescending.

To belittle those people who don't find it difficult to manage 'within their means' is very overbearing and condescending.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:45 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

I do hope that people reading these forums, who are contemplating emigrating, will be able to see a pattern. Whilst microscopic in terms of breadth, the attitudes displayed are quite prophetic. Put up and shut up - you will be fine, but dare to question, and you may be in for a rough ride.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 4th 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:52 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheene
I do hope that people reading these forums, who are contemplating emigrating, will be able to see a pattern. Whilst microscopic in terms of breadth, the attitudes displayed are quite prophetic. Put up and shut up - you will be fine, but dare to question, and you may be in for a rough ride.
Could the same not be said of the many more who enjoy living here that are hounded out of saying nice things about the country by the doomsayers? Be miserable and negative about NZ, or you may be in for a rough ride.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Very true.
If you dare to put the opposite opinion you will be accused of belittling and being condescending.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Could the same not be said of the many more who enjoy living here that are hounded out of saying nice things about the country by the doomsayers? Be miserable and negative about NZ, or you may be in for a rough ride.
Not really. I would, as said previously, encourage anyone to emigrate if that is what they desire, and NZ can be a fantastic place for many people. However, things can aft go agley, and people need to feel reassured that if that happens, they can expect a level of understanding when they are far from their support network. This forum sometimes paints a very bad picture.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 4th 2011 at 10:19 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:33 pm

Not really. I would, as said previously, encourage anyone to emigrate if that is what they desire, and NZ can be a fantastic place for many people. However, things can aft go agley, and people need to feel reassured that if that happens, they can expect a level of understanding when they are far from their support network. This forum sometimes paints a very bad picture.
From what I've read, I think people are pretty understanding. The problem occurs, I think, when assumptions are made about the country as a whole based on an individuals personal experiences.

Example 1 :
I am getting less wages here compared to the UK = NZ has low wages compared to the UK

Example 2 :
A brand of skin cream is $27 in NZ and 10 pounds in the UK = NZ Cost of Living is astronomical.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
From what I've read, I think people are pretty understanding. The problem occurs, I think, when assumptions are made about the country as a whole based on an individuals personal experiences.

Example 1 :
I am getting less wages here compared to the UK = NZ has low wages compared to the UK

Example 2 :
A brand of skin cream is $27 in NZ and 10 pounds in the UK = NZ Cost of Living is astronomical.
Well I tried - as you were.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
I'll criticise your thinking as much as I like. But if you wanna go Ad Hominem by alleging it in others that's your right.
If you don't like criticism of your argumentsd then time to harden up.
Discussion is what we are about here.
If you want to be a mod then I'm sure you'd find a nice niche there.

Your point was badly made and if you re-read it phrased in a rather terse pointed manner.

Thank you and have a nice evening.
Is life OK lardyl? I think you've been uncharacteristically abrasive recently- hope money isn't seriously getting you down (that's genuine- not sarcastic, but there's no genuine-not-sarcastic emoticon).
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Is life OK lardyl? I think you've been uncharacteristically abrasive recently- hope money isn't seriously getting you down (that's genuine- not sarcastic, but there's no genuine-not-sarcastic emoticon).
Yes Lardyl, please tell us. You have been saying negative things about NZ, so there must be something wrong with you. Utterly unbelievable.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:20 pm

If it was genuine, send a PM for god's sake, don't post it on the forum.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 4th 2011 at 11:38 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
And if you bought a locally made product it would cost you $10. I saw Some Sanctuary Body Butter for $12 today. In the UK it costs £10. Proves nothing.
Sorry to take the thread back to some trivia about the cost of skincare products half a dozen pages back. Since I chose not to purchase the $37.99 product on offer in the Body Shop I am off out this afternoon in search of a more 'affordable' locally made, earth aware product, of decent quality and good progeny.

Wish me luck, I may be gone some time.

Next best suggestion I guess might take me to the supermarket looking for ingredients to make my own. I mean really how hard can it be? I've all the time in the world to faff about after I have made my soup and bread and baked my cake

Wendyl Nissen, here I come. Live like a Kiwi, I may as well look like one too, live like your Nana and give up on any attempt at looking reasonably well groomed. Why not just stuff it alland cultivate that weather beaten hard exterior.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:50 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Lardyl, please tell us. You have been saying negative things about NZ, so there must be something wrong with you. Utterly unbelievable.
If it was genuine, send a PM for god's sake, don't post it on the forum.
It was totally genuine! But I was referring to tone, not content- lardyl, like lots of us has long had issues with NZ, that's nothing new.

I'm really not sure what your problem is with me sheene- as far as I know lardyl and I have ruffled each other's feathers from time to time over the years but are on reasonably friendly terms, so why is it odd to ask if he's OK? I don't really use PM- it's not unusual to ask if someone's OK on here, I don't think
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:02 am

It was totally genuine! But I was referring to tone, not content- lardyl, like lots of us has long had issues with NZ, that's nothing new.

I'm really not sure what your problem is with me sheene- as far as I know lardyl and I have ruffled each other's feathers from time to time over the years but are on reasonably friendly terms, so why is it odd to ask if he's OK? I don't really use PM- it's not unusual to ask if someone's OK on here, I don't think
I have no problem with you, I just don't agree with many of the things you say. Oh, yes, I see now - I disagree with you, so I must have a problem. Can you see? Bit of a pattern emerging there. It may be just the way you phrase things.

So, no, fundamentally no, I do not agree that questioning someone on an open forum as to their happiness is correct or caring - it comes across as point scoring.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:16 am
---

So, no, fundamentally no, I do not agree that questioning someone on an open forum as to their happiness is correct or caring - it comes across as point scoring.
I think you and I have a very different purpose for being here. I like a good discussion, at times even a good debate, but that doesn't mean I'm in it to win at all costs and am tallying points!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:24 am

I've edited out my original gut instinct reaction to this comment and am replacing it with this :

I strongly disagree with your judgement of Bourbon Biscuit's motives.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 5th 2011 at 1:26 am. Reason: Tidied up my language :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.