Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is so expensive

NZ is so expensive

Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:12 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ is so expensive

The population of NZ is about 4.5million. The population of UK is about 60 million. Not my idea of similar !
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:33 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Also by the way, I'm conscious of the fact that this is primarily a forum for British Expats, hence the name of the site. As is my want with forums, I can't help myself butting in ... but hey, if there is a topic that says 'NZ is so expensive' (ie relative to Britain), I think nothing short of a straitjacket will stop me typing something into 'reply to thread' and then hitting the enter key.
Why does it bother you so much? Sorry, not being facetious, just wondering. If British Expats are struggling financially, then they probably need to vent off. As I said previously, if people do not emigrate because of the price of toothpaste - they would never have come anyway. Don't worry though, the serious ones will still come.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:43 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheene
As I said previously, if people do not emigrate because of the price of toothpaste - they would never have come anyway.

The price of toothpaste

UK
Colgate Regular 50 ml $NZ2.78 (British Online Supermarket)
Colgate Regular 100 ml $NZ3.18 (British Online Supermarket)
Colgate Regular 100 ml $NZ4.00 (Sainsbury's)

NZ
Colgate Regular 90g $NZ1.99 (Countdown Online)
Colgate Regular 120g $NZ2.50 (Countdown Online)
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Why does it bother you so much?

Because it takes all sorts to make a world, yet if you're a Kiwi or seemingly very close to a significant other Kiwi; being rude to expats who don't love everything about NZ provides good sport. It's par for the course to abuse them, belittle them and call their character into question: tell them that they are either sad losers, deluded, liars and usually ends with telling them to go home if they don't like it or words to similar effect (not always quite so polite).

Some people just can't make the distinction between a general discussion topic about a whole country that has a million variables and no right or wrong answer, without taking it personally and seeing it as some kid of personal affront to the nation. They're flabberghasted that other countries can have anything nicer / faster / better / cheaper and hence why there are so many polls and surveys on the matter - trying to prove them wrong. Who exactly cared about the OECD or what countries ranked where in the world statistics BEFORE they came to live in NZ? I would wager hardly any!! Who cares? It only becomes a big deal when you live or are thinking about living in NZ because we have to compare 'ourselves' or justify 'our' place on the world.

Why exactly were Close Up monitoring the basket of goods last week? Someone undoubtedly dared to mention that food was cheaper in London and they had to try and prove them wrong, simple as that, it can't be true, surely not.

Most people here are just sharing opinions and experiences and often anecdotal, ow does it look and feel from where they are sitting. If people don't want to hear it or don't like what they are hearing, then quite frankly they should switch off an do something less boring instead.

I am a tell it like I see it kind of gal, if people don't like it, I say tough dooo daas really. I ain't going to pretty it up an tell people bullshit, tell people this is easy street and how life is a breeze, how I pinch myself everyday for having the privelege of living here. No way ain't ever going to happen.

There are far too many coincidences of the same negative topics and thoughts from expats here for it to be one off random whining and whinging for the sake of it, so I ain't making any excuses for it. We're not alone, I don't sit here whining and crying about how terrible my life is here, despite all that some very rude people wrote about me.

Go figure. I'd wager that my post count is far less than a lot of the so-called happy dudes and dudesses who are here apparently loving their lives and far too busy enjoying themselves to be reading crap on an internet forum.

Now I must get on, I have my work cut out being cruel to some young children and torturing some dalmation puppies.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The price of toothpaste

UK

NZ

This means what exactly?

Could we please have the comparison directly gram for gram or ml for ml?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know a good recipe utilising NZ toothpaste?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:55 am

The price of toothpaste

UK

NZ
What on earth are you doing!!!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:57 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Anyone know a good recipe utilising NZ toothpaste?
bare arm, marianade in a fine glaze of manuka honey, place arm gently in oven (a hive will do), when arm is nice and red, rub in a generous amount of toothpaste.....
serve with whitetail bite puss and finish off with smoked avondale spider droppings on a bed of no. 8 wire
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Because it takes all sorts to make a world, yet if you're a Kiwi or seemingly very close to a significant other Kiwi; being rude to expats who don't love everything about NZ provides good sport. It's par for the course to abuse them, belittle them and call their character into question: tell them that they are either sad losers, deluded, liars and usually ends with telling them to go home if they don't like it or words to similar effect (not always quite so polite).
Can someone please point me to a specific post where I've abused or belittled anyone on here, or called someone a sad loser, deluded or liars, or told someone to go home?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:58 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please point me to a specific post where I've abused or belittled anyone on here, or called someone a sad loser, deluded or liars, or told someone to go home?
not you but there has been quite a lot of that down the years hereabouts and it mainly comes from the directions cited - but not you........of any other kiwis on this thread/the other one
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This means what exactly?

Could we please have the comparison directly gram for gram or ml for ml?
It's a bit difficult, short of squeezing out my 100g tube (which I am just about to use) into a measuring cup to find out how many mls are in it. But I'm pretty sure there are at least 50 mls in a 100g NZ tube.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

The price of toothpaste

UK

NZ
Countdown have that on special I was there this morning
Normal shelf price for 90g is about 3 dollars.......yes, I am sad........and tight.......and the kitchen bitch.........
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:07 am

If I had read this post 3 years ago - I would never have come. I realise people can have a chip on their shoulder, but we seem to have a large portion with curry sauce going on here!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

If I had read this post 3 years ago - I would never have come. I realise people can have a chip on their shoulder, but we seem to have a large portion with curry sauce going on here!
curry sauce worse than toothpaste.......?
suppose it is.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

if you had read this post 3 years ago the exchange rate would have been £1 = $2.80, meaning that everything in NZ stores would have been 30% cheaper when converted. so the thread would not have existed

simples

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.