Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:24 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

Originally Posted by dave77
Unfortunately I think this problem is not just NZ, it is just the way this crazy world is going right now!
Agree with you , life is what you make it and this expats has not changed people still complaining about stuff and sitting on the computer instead of getting out in the real world

no wonder I dont come on here much its depressing!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by love30stm
Agree with you , life is what you make it and this expats has not changed people still complaining about stuff and sitting on the computer instead of getting out in the real world

no wonder I dont come on here much its depressing!
Lol! I take it all with a pinch of salt to be honest, otherwise I would never make it over to NZ!

BTW glad your new job is going well and you're feeling more at home now
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:55 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave77
Lol! I take it all with a pinch of salt to be honest, otherwise I would never make it over to NZ!

BTW glad your new job is going well and you're feeling more at home now
LOL yep best thing to do! And thankyou
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:25 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug
The biggest eye opener between NZ and the UK has been when I am walking down the street and will be greeted by a group of teenagers. In the UK, I held onto my phone and wallet and crossed the road to avoid the group. In NZ, the kids step out of your way, may say hello and carry on their way, without any fear of reprisal, attack or robbery. And there seems to be very little Burberry or gold chains adorning the kids of NZ (at least where I live!)

It may be the area I live but I lived in a similar 'safe' area of my town, in the UK and often felt intimidated in the town centre. I ventured into the worst parts of my town and the local city, when needed and rarely felt safe. If I venture into Auckland or the suburbs, I don't have that fear.........
coming from the same place matey , I can relate to exactly what you have said, probably the same ferel gangs of scum that i remember too - yeah.. much nicer here
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:04 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no crime down South , as i lock them all up at 4.15 each day lol

Nige Prison Officer
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the U.K. someone got shot in the neck in London last week, and 2 people I know have been mugged and attacked in the last 6 months. So as I long as I don't get shot when I arrive in NZ, I'll feel like I'm doing O.K!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikisue
"Its all down to finding the right location for you and you will love it."

That is the same wherever you are, we are near Wakefield atm and feel safe walking around at night, however if we lived 3 miles away in Dewsbury or into one of the many cities around here it would not be the same, there is a nice looking play area for instance that I would not use due to nerves (am I too soft???).
That has to be one of the biggest challenges of the process especially with 2 impressionable kids to think about.
We lived in pontefract before moving out here. Where abouts near Wakefield are you?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Nozza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
On the news tonight police figures show
violent crime up almost 20%
Domestic violence cases up about 15%
Murders up 25%

The wierd thing is i dont see any of it and i still feel safe walking
through town at night

Well ditto to that ....... only I'm in the UK (having returned from living in NZ for 2 years).

It all has a lot to do with location, we're in a VERY rural UK location and all the doom and gloom that's spread across the newspapers just isn't the case here - although I know it is spot on reporting for other places.

The trend is to compare NZ and UK all the time (obviously because alot of expats are Brits), but having travelled a lot and having lived in more than just a couple of countries, I know for a fact that good and bad exisits everywhere that the human race exists.

And speaking from a strictly personal level, I experienced more crime in NZ than I ever did in the UK - but like I say, probably location has a lot to do with that.

As for overcrowding .......... not where I am !!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

mikisue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
We lived in pontefract before moving out here. Where abouts near Wakefield are you?
nr. horbury
Old Apr 24th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

FrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really nice

I have been in NZ four years.

Never had a burglar alarm installed on any place I lived in the UK but every place I have lived over here has an alarm installed!

In the UK I lived in Hampshire and in New Zealand I live just outside Wellington.

Make of that what you will ........

Agree nowhere is utopia - everywhere has its %age of violent anti social behavious.

More tagging or graffitti in NZ than I ever saw in UK and when I go to Auckland the shops etc are caged up at night just like London.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer
I have been in NZ four years.

Never had a burglar alarm installed on any place I lived in the UK but every place I have lived over here has an alarm installed!

In the UK I lived in Hampshire and in New Zealand I live just outside Wellington.

Make of that what you will ........

Agree nowhere is utopia - everywhere has its %age of violent anti social behavious.

More tagging or graffitti in NZ than I ever saw in UK and when I go to Auckland the shops etc are caged up at night just like London.
In U.K. I think it depends where you live. In London many people had alarm and intercom systems. In Herts everyone is skint so no-one gets robbed!