British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ a more dangerous, more violent place (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-more-dangerous-more-violent-place-662109/)

Genesis Mar 31st 2010 9:50 pm

NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

The words of our police minister today. NZ really does appear to be going down the gurgler. It all bad news just now for NZ. They blame P (methamphetamine) and the dole/bludging way of life for too many.

There have been a spate of ugly attacks in Palmy of late.

Murders are going thru the roof.

The only difference betwixt NZ and the UK is looking like just the lower population of NZ. The latter is a huge pull for me as I hate crowds and endless jams on the road. They reckon its going to get worse. Another caveat before you chose to come. Canada or Oz are looking like more favourable alernatives aye? Or are they too going to shite??

Justcol Mar 31st 2010 11:33 pm

Re: NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

Oz has its own problems with violents attacks and rampant racism on the rise.
Canada is just cold, they're all indoors keeping warm and any potential muggers
will freeze to death in alley ways while waiting for a victim

pricklykina Apr 1st 2010 1:32 am

It's a little shortsighted to blame the P addicts and the beneficiaries (especially give that Alcohol causes much more harm than P)

I think that we need to look at what drives these things

There seems to be a correlation between National-led government and increasing crime...get me to the polls quick :rofl:

HAving said that...I do not dispute that NZ is well over represented in poverty, violent crime and child abuse stats. This is not utopia for sure

Genesis Apr 1st 2010 2:32 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 8464387)
It's a little shortsighted to blame the P addicts and the beneficiaries (especially give that Alcohol causes much more harm than P)

I think that we need to look at what drives these things

There seems to be a correlation between National-led government and increasing crime...get me to the polls quick :rofl:

HAving said that...I do not dispute that NZ is well over represented in poverty, violent crime and child abuse stats. This is not utopia for sure

Personaly I blame crap parenting, crap, violent PSP games and the like. I drink probably too much alcohol than is advised. I like the stuff. However I do not get violent or aggresive and never ever have when having a drink..quite the opposite infact.

Alcohol does play a large part in this country's problems but its a bit like saying 'cars kill people', its the crap drivers behind the wheel the wheel that kill....not the vehicle.

Likewise its the crap drinkers behind the drink that cause the problems. Alcohol has been much enjoyed by me over the last 35 years..however it has never ever caused any problems (ever) other than a few hangovers. Its not the drinking its WHAT YOU DO when you have had drink.

If drink makes you aggresive it should be simply avoided.

Stormer999 Apr 1st 2010 3:21 am

Me thinks this is a World trend and we are all borrowing time and playing catch up. As Genesis points out the difference is in numbers. At the worse scenario 4 million numpties has got to be better than 60 million all living in the same cage!;)

Genesis Apr 1st 2010 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8464556)
Me thinks this is a World trend and we are all borrowing time and playing catch up. As Genesis points out the difference is in numbers. At the worse scenario 4 million numpties has got to be better than 60 million all living in the same cage!;)

And that is the reason we stay here. We have space. The average house...err shed in NZ and the garden is soooooooooooo much bigger than in the UK. For now there is none of the shit hitting my personal fan so NZ is still tops for us. I avoid the crap. I don't mess with gang members, don't do drugs and don't stay in town after 11pm. I think if I continue in that vein things will have to get really bad afore any crap lands on my doorstep. We live sooooooooo off the main drag no bugger can find us. Bloody perfect. We are a dead end off a dead end off another. The road to the first dead end is a 'ghost road off ramp' and our kindly students have 'released' the road name sign that leads to our community.

pricklykina Apr 1st 2010 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8464486)
Personaly I blame crap parenting, crap, violent PSP games and the like. I drink probably too much alcohol than is advised. I like the stuff. However I do not get violent or aggresive and never ever have when having a drink..quite the opposite infact.

Alcohol does play a large part in this country's problems but its a bit like saying 'cars kill people', its the crap drivers behind the wheel the wheel that kill....not the vehicle.

Agree with that...the problem has many many heads
But more people need to take responsibility
it's going to take all of us

dave77 Apr 1st 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8463981)
The words of our police minister today. NZ really does appear to be going down the gurgler. It all bad news just now for NZ. They blame P (methamphetamine) and the dole/bludging way of life for too many.

There have been a spate of ugly attacks in Palmy of late.

Murders are going thru the roof.

The only difference betwixt NZ and the UK is looking like just the lower population of NZ. The latter is a huge pull for me as I hate crowds and endless jams on the road. They reckon its going to get worse. Another caveat before you chose to come. Canada or Oz are looking like more favourable alernatives aye? Or are they too going to shite??

Unfortunately I think this problem is not just NZ, it is just the way this crazy world is going right now!

Justcol Apr 1st 2010 8:47 am

On the news tonight police figures show
violent crime up almost 20%
Domestic violence cases up about 15%
Murders up 25%

The wierd thing is i dont see any of it and i still feel safe walking
through town at night :confused:

BEVS Apr 1st 2010 8:51 am

Unfortunately, it really all does depend on who you end up in close proximity to.

Believe me.

simonsi Apr 1st 2010 9:33 am

You can prove anything with statistics....

simonsi Apr 1st 2010 9:35 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8464994)
On the news tonight police figures show
violent crime up almost 20%
Domestic violence cases up about 15%
Murders up 25%

The wierd thing is i dont see any of it and i still feel safe walking
through town at night :confused:

In the UK I think all of these figures are dropping according to the official figures. But most people feel more threatened and less safe. Go figure. :confused:

lizard Apr 1st 2010 11:31 am

If Rap music was banned and anyone copying L.A gang culture were put into concentration camps, crime would reduce ten fold over night.

Stormer999 Apr 1st 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8465086)
In the UK I think all of these figures are dropping according to the official figures. But most people feel more threatened and less safe. Go figure. :confused:

No I think the statistics in the UK are for REPORTED crimes! The public have given up on the reporting bit as it is a waste of time!:thumbdown: The hospitals and organisations that are street involved with UK crime report trends overwhelmingly in the opposite direction to the reprted figures.:thumbdown:

simonsi Apr 1st 2010 1:39 pm

Yep, you can prove anything you want with statistics, I believe it is getting worse, hence why I'm here, trying to get there :)