Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ a more dangerous, more violent place

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yep, you can prove anything you want with statistics, I believe it is getting worse, hence why I'm here, trying to get there
Likewise....I hope we both win...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:48 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Likewise....I hope we both win...
I was wondering whether to adopt a slash-and-burn scorched earth policy as I left the UK....but I see Gorders is doing that nicely thankyou so I've no need.

The news is now mentioning the "H" word on and off (as in Hung Parliament), and not usually in the context of "oh yes, we want one of those" either
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

mikisue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999
No I think the statistics in the UK are for REPORTED crimes! The public have given up on the reporting bit as it is a waste of time! The hospitals and organisations that are street involved with UK crime report trends overwhelmingly in the opposite direction to the reprted figures.
I don't know if it it is cynical thinking or if it is true but much has been said about how the government in the UK is managing to massage figures, (i.e. you are not unemployed if you are on certain handouts) and I saw on the news a bit back that all sorts of crimes were being reclassified so the year on year figures showed a positive result.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikisue
...all sorts of crimes were being reclassified so the year on year figures showed a positive result.
That is Govts favourite trick, reclassify something from being a problem to not, much easier than actually fixing anything.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave77
Unfortunately I think this problem is not just NZ, it is just the way this crazy world is going right now!
I have to fully agree with you. but having agreed I look at all the children in NZ that walk quite safe to and from school each day just like we did back when I was a child in the UK ( ge!!! years back).
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:57 am
Account Closed

kshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of lightkshurey is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikisue
I don't know if it it is cynical thinking or if it is true but much has been said about how the government in the UK is managing to massage figures, (i.e. you are not unemployed if you are on certain handouts) and I saw on the news a bit back that all sorts of crimes were being reclassified so the year on year figures showed a positive result.
My wife worked on an IT project in the UK for the Dept of Work & Pensions - only those on Job Seekers Allowance are in the unemployment figures. Those on Income Support (solo parents etc) and Incapacity Benefit are not, and not considered officially in 'the labour market'. So for 3 million unemployed add another 3 million on full time benefits funded by taxpayer..
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:47 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kshurey
My wife worked on an IT project in the UK for the Dept of Work & Pensions - only those on Job Seekers Allowance are in the unemployment figures. Those on Income Support (solo parents etc) and Incapacity Benefit are not, and not considered officially in 'the labour market'. So for 3 million unemployed add another 3 million on full time benefits funded by taxpayer..
Well in OZ if you are in paid employment for one (yes ONE) hour per week you are NOT classified as being unemployed! How dodge is that statistic?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

could it be that poms are infact taking over the world?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

If you are concerned about NZs violence I certainly wouldnt be moving to Oz.

For the first 3 months we lived in sydney it was almost like there was someone being murdered everynight.

NZ is a much safer, nicer place in that sense IMO...but I havent tried anywhere else in Oz yet.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:24 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donki
could it be that poms are infact taking over the world?
Not quite just bring all the life experience with us round the world, and we have done for so many, many years.

But GETTING BACK to NZ more Dangerous... if I had a child of 15 no way would they get a car with the big performance engine and no insurance.

I did not at all feel safe roads at times in Nz!! but when back in the Uk does not take long to get back into the swing, and people to let you in so be prepared for idiots in NZ the have not got a clue on stoping distances think they have to place 50c in the slot machine to use the indicator
I can pop into my next door friend and not have to lock my door, walk on the beach with the dog and feel quite at ease.
Its all down to finding the right location for you and you will love it.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:48 am
Just Joined

mikisue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Not quite just bring all the life experience with us round the world, and we have done for so many, many years.

But GETTING BACK to NZ more Dangerous... if I had a child of 15 no way would they get a car with the big performance engine and no insurance.

I did not at all feel safe roads at times in Nz!! but when back in the Uk does not take long to get back into the swing, and people to let you in so be prepared for idiots in NZ the have not got a clue on stoping distances think they have to place 50c in the slot machine to use the indicator
I can pop into my next door friend and not have to lock my door, walk on the beach with the dog and feel quite at ease.
Its all down to finding the right location for you and you will love it.
"Its all down to finding the right location for you and you will love it."

That is the same wherever you are, we are near Wakefield atm and feel safe walking around at night, however if we lived 3 miles away in Dewsbury or into one of the many cities around here it would not be the same, there is a nice looking play area for instance that I would not use due to nerves (am I too soft???).
That has to be one of the biggest challenges of the process especially with 2 impressionable kids to think about.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kshurey
Same applies here, I was unemployed for 7 months but not entitled to anything due to OH's income, so was not registered as unemployed. I know 5 others in the same situation in my small circle of friends, so there must be loads more out there & quite a few who come on here also.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:48 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Same applies here, I was unemployed for 7 months but not entitled to anything due to OH's income, so was not registered as unemployed. I know 5 others in the same situation in my small circle of friends, so there must be loads more out there & quite a few who come on here also.
Same experience here
I could not clam anything and was not included in the unemployment figures
Several Nurses came over at the same time and none of there partners/husbands can find work
They are not entitled to any benefit or included in any unemployment figures.
Two of the Nurses have already gone back to the UK.
Mainly due to there OH unable to find any work here
It seem a common theme
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton
Same experience here
I could not clam anything and was not included in the unemployment figures
Several Nurses came over at the same time and none of there partners/husbands can find work
They are not entitled to any benefit or included in any unemployment figures.
Two of the Nurses have already gone back to the UK.
Mainly due to there OH unable to find any work here
It seem a common theme
Yes, my OH's a nurse & 3 out of the 5 I mention.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:11 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest eye opener between NZ and the UK has been when I am walking down the street and will be greeted by a group of teenagers. In the UK, I held onto my phone and wallet and crossed the road to avoid the group. In NZ, the kids step out of your way, may say hello and carry on their way, without any fear of reprisal, attack or robbery. And there seems to be very little Burberry or gold chains adorning the kids of NZ (at least where I live!)

It may be the area I live but I lived in a similar 'safe' area of my town, in the UK and often felt intimidated in the town centre. I ventured into the worst parts of my town and the local city, when needed and rarely felt safe. If I venture into Auckland or the suburbs, I don't have that fear.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.