Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Old May 2nd 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Originally Posted by Genesis

Still, in reality I live in the suicide capital of the world with nothing to do and am as miserable as you like in a damp draughty shed...go on Bertie...laugh out loud in North Beds why don't you!! You could always go to Whipsnade for the day if you can get on to the M1.
Or maybe a little shopping in Luton!

I like the sound of where you live, and you are clearly over the moon with it. I dont get why people hate to hear of others being happy. I love it here in Browns Bay, my two teenagers love it and my two yr old doesn't know any different! She takes it for granted that after kindy she will be taken to get an ice-cream and go for a walk on the beach, she is still going in the sea now and its well into autumn, she doesn't have a room full of coloured plastic from Toys R Us but she does have a whole heap of interesting things she takes a liking to when we are out walking, shells with holes in, shells that she says look like Jupiter, leaves and stones etc!
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Or maybe a little shopping in Luton!

I like the sound of where you live, and you are clearly over the moon with it. I dont get why people hate to hear of others being happy. I love it here in Browns Bay, my two teenagers love it and my two yr old doesn't know any different! She takes it for granted that after kindy she will be taken to get an ice-cream and go for a walk on the beach, she is still going in the sea now and its well into autumn, she doesn't have a room full of coloured plastic from Toys R Us but she does have a whole heap of interesting things she takes a liking to when we are out walking, shells with holes in, shells that she says look like Jupiter, leaves and stones etc!
Marvellous innit?? I still swim outdoors and its the equivalent of Nov!!!!!! Life here in Palmy is as different as it could be in relation to what I left in Northampton. we are very content here..I do miss much about GB..more than I thought I would. But in reality what I miss would only be a small part of my hampster wheely life, over here in my hampster wheely life I am inundated with wondeful stuff..everyday. I guess I am living the dream that I longed for..yukky but true!!!! Glad you guys are clearly made up too!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Marvellous innit?? I still swim outdoors and its the equivalent of Nov!!!!!! Life here in Palmy is as different as it could be in relation to what I left in Northampton. we are very content here..I do miss much about GB..more than I thought I would. But in reality what I miss would only be a small part of my hampster wheely life, over here in my hampster wheely life I am inundated with wondeful stuff..everyday. I guess I am living the dream that I longed for..yukky but true!!!! Glad you guys are clearly made up too!!!!!
And we aren't alone! Everyone I know here likes it.
I lived in some lovely places in UK, and some horrible ones. I miss loads, mostly family and friends but also the countryside and coast, pubs, frost (!) and a few other bits. They will all still be there when I go back for holidays. Towards the end of my last visit, I felt a bit miserable, because I couldn't wait to get back here, but I wanted to take my family back with me!
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

And we aren't alone! Everyone I know here likes it.
I lived in some lovely places in UK, and some horrible ones. I miss loads, mostly family and friends but also the countryside and coast, pubs, frost (!) and a few other bits. They will all still be there when I go back for holidays. Towards the end of my last visit, I felt a bit miserable, because I couldn't wait to get back here, but I wanted to take my family back with me!
I miss all the things you do!!!! But life's a compromise aye..and its not bad our NZ compromise...is it?? we are going to Blighty for 5 weeks soon. It costs us dear but Kate demands her UK fix!!!!!! Warm regards from Old Palmy!
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I miss all the things you do!!!! But life's a compromise aye..and its not bad our NZ compromise...is it?? we are going to Blighty for 5 weeks soon. It costs us dear but Kate demands her UK fix!!!!!! Warm regards from Old Palmy!
bring me some walkers crisps please
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tell me about it! I have no plans to go back now for at least a couple of years, just cant afford it, what with our crap wages and huge living expenses.

I love that feeling though, flying back into Auckland, and it being my home!
I'm off to Queenstown for a long weekend soon with my best mate (she is also my sister in law, and is coming all the way here from UK for my birthday!) I am so looking forward to it. Have you been there? I have only been for a quick stay and really wanted to go back.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tell me about it! I have no plans to go back now for at least a couple of years, just cant afford it, what with our crap wages and huge living expenses.

I love that feeling though, flying back into Auckland, and it being my home!
I'm off to Queenstown for a long weekend soon with my best mate (she is also my sister in law, and is coming all the way here from UK for my birthday!) I am so looking forward to it. Have you been there? I have only been for a quick stay and really wanted to go back.
Not been to the South yet..but hey I have only been here 2 years!!!! Arriving with 3 kids all under 4 was trialsome!! Happy birthday and have a great time!!!!!
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Wow...another NZ interest rate rise, I seriously wonder how people afford to buy houses with the current mortgage rates in NZ, especially when wages are so low? NZ currently has the most expensive mortgage rates in the civilised world.

The worring thing is imagine that you buy the house (large shed) of your dreams with a whopping mortgage. Then......the housing market readjusts and suddenly your house is worth $150,000 less than you paid for it. THEN you fall out with your boss and loose you job.

You finally realise that it was all a big mistake and decide to return to the UK, BUT you have no money to buy tickets, ship goods or repatriate your pets. You have a house that is worth less than you paid for it and you can't sell it anyway. The Exchange rate has dropped to $2.20/£1.00, so even if you manage to sell the cold damp house you worked so hard for you won't have enough to get back on to the UK ladder (if you can afford the fare home?) even if UK property decreased in value by 40%.

What a potential nightmare eh?

Still when you live in such a beautiful country you can always just go for a walk along the beach, take in the fabulous views etc etc etc

Burt
I think you do make a valid point.
At the moment both Kiwi property and the Kiwi$ seem grossly overvalued so turning £s into NZ property at this juncture may well not be a wise move!