Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Old May 2nd 2007, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Wow...another NZ interest rate rise, I seriously wonder how people afford to buy houses with the current mortgage rates in NZ, especially when wages are so low? NZ currently has the most expensive mortgage rates in the civilised world.

The worring thing is imagine that you buy the house (large shed) of your dreams with a whopping mortgage. Then......the housing market readjusts and suddenly your house is worth $150,000 less than you paid for it. THEN you fall out with your boss and loose you job.

You finally realise that it was all a big mistake and decide to return to the UK, BUT you have no money to buy tickets, ship goods or repatriate your pets. You have a house that is worth less than you paid for it and you can't sell it anyway. The Exchange rate has dropped to $2.20/£1.00, so even if you manage to sell the cold damp house you worked so hard for you won't have enough to get back on to the UK ladder (if you can afford the fare home?) even if UK property decreased in value by 40%.

What a potential nightmare eh?

Still when you live in such a beautiful country you can always just go for a walk along the beach, take in the fabulous views etc etc etc

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:26 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ interest rates rise yet again!

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Wow...another NZ interest rate rise, I seriously wonder how people afford to buy houses with the current mortgage rates in NZ, especially when wages are so low? NZ currently has the most expensive mortgage rates in the civilised world.)
And the lowest GDP.....life is full of mysteries, eh Bert?
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...another NZ interest rate rise, I seriously wonder how people afford to buy houses with the current mortgage rates in NZ, especially when wages are so low? NZ currently has the most expensive mortgage rates in the civilised world.

The worring thing is imagine that you buy the house (large shed) of your dreams with a whopping mortgage. Then......the housing market readjusts and suddenly your house is worth $150,000 less than you paid for it. THEN you fall out with your boss and loose you job.

You finally realise that it was all a big mistake and decide to return to the UK, BUT you have no money to buy tickets, ship goods or repatriate your pets. You have a house that is worth less than you paid for it and you can't sell it anyway. The Exchange rate has dropped to $2.20/£1.00, so even if you manage to sell the cold damp house you worked so hard for you won't have enough to get back on to the UK ladder (if you can afford the fare home?) even if UK property decreased in value by 40%.

Still when you live in such a beautiful country you can always just go for a walk along the beach, take in the fabulous views etc etc etc

Burt
Good to see you back Burt. You have been missed.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lexylou
Good to see you back Burt. You have been missed.
I aim to please lexy!

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Jeez, Burt. You do enjoy stirring up the shit, don't you. Well, stir away, mate.

Old May 2nd 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Burt
There's always Scotland!
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Jeez, Burt. You do enjoy stirring up the shit, don't you. Well, stir away, mate.

I just think that it is a scenario that hard working families who are preparing to move to the underside of the world should think about.

I knew 3 English families who wanted to return to the UK but were caught in the NZ poverty trap. If the above did happen then many more would be affected.

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I just think that it is a scenario that hard working families who are preparing to move to the underside of the world should think about.

I knew 3 English families who wanted to return to the UK but were caught in the NZ poverty trap. If the above did happen then many more would be affected.

Burt
Oh yeah, you're a regular altruist.

Old May 2nd 2007, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

oh Burt! Burt Burt Burt Burt Burt

(That is a compliment)
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Burt
Hi Burt
Is that short for Albert?
I had a dog called Albert- He was a lovely, happy, lively character and loved long walks on the beautiful uncrowded beaches.
Reading your posts- possessions, money etc etc are all.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Hope you find somewhere on Earth to be happy- otherwise get Scottie to beam you up!
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:00 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Hi Burt
I had a dog called Albert- He was a lovely, happy, lively character and loved long walks on the beautiful uncrowded beaches.
Hope you find somewhere on Earth to be happy- otherwise get Scottie to beam you up!
have you perchance been drinking girlie ?
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Burt
You gotta hand it to him, though - he is funny as wotnot
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ceri75
have you perchance been drinking girlie ?
Hi Ceri
just a bit!
So totally p.....d off with all the hoops we have to jump through-(difficult sober let alone on second bottle) Need lots of positive Karma from all. Not the negative vibes. I know it's not all roses( been going out there for 3-4 months stays in rentals for last 5 years.) I know there is no such thing as a personal allowance, Know my pension will be frozen,know I'll have to pay alot for my prescriptions, know I can't get medical attention in NZ and will have to pay to go to Oz, know financially it will be worse because I won't have the spending power.I know there are problems with housing but they're not unrectifiable. I remember 'Jack Frost"' on bedroom windows! .....................
.................................................. ...............deleted my irate thoughts.
But despite all of this I'm happy to pay tax on my first$ earned- I'm happy to help NZ grow and prosper because NZ has so much to offer- a better way of life. I apologise to no-one for wanting to live in NZ.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ceri
just a bit!
So totally p.....d off with all the hoops we have to jump through-(difficult sober let alone on second bottle) Need lots of positive Karma from all. Not the negative vibes. I know it's not all roses( been going out there for 3-4 months stays in rentals for last 5 years.) I know there is no such thing as a personal allowance, Know my pension will be frozen,know I'll have to pay alot for my prescriptions, know I can't get medical attention in NZ and will have to pay to go to Oz, know financially it will be worse because I won't have the spending power.I know there are problems with housing but they're not unrectifiable. I remember 'Jack Frost"' on bedroom windows! .....................
.................................................. ...............deleted my irate thoughts.
But despite all of this I'm happy to pay tax on my first$ earned- I'm happy to help NZ grow and prosper because NZ has so much to offer- a better way of life. I apologise to no-one for wanting to live in NZ.
And nor should you. Thousands of ex-pats love it here, it doesn't make us all hippy tree huggers or whatever label has been put on us by the people that didn't like it.
Its getting stupid on this site, I hope they get bored soon and take their bitter rants elsewhere.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ceri
just a bit!
So totally p.....d off with all the hoops we have to jump through-(difficult sober let alone on second bottle) Need lots of positive Karma from all. Not the negative vibes.
Oh...and some positive vibe and hangover cure karma sent!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.