Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Herald's front World page........

NZ Herald's front World page........

Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:30 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Herald's front World page........

Originally Posted by mickey_d
I'd just like to comment on the drinking bit. My Daughter is 14. In her class at school a few weeks ago they were all asked who has drunk alcohol. Interestingy they all had apart from 3 of them (My daughter, another girl from UK & a Chinese boy). Most of them get drunk at weekend parties & their parents actually supply the booze!!!! Interesting eh!! We were shocked
When I was your daughter's age and living in NZ, me and my mates all drank on friday/saturday nights, and of course, the guys did too. The big difference was though, that we would never have dreamed of doing the kind of serious anti-social behaviour that goes on all too often nowadays. None of my peers carried weapons or abused adults or the elderley, nor did we go around picking on other teens. We certainly weren't angels but we had some standards of civil behaviour that now seems sadly lost to many younger ones.

Much more than the drinking, I'd be far more concerned about the drugs issue esp some of the pills that are around, like P and eccys etc. The most the majority of me and my mates did was a little cannabis or hash. It was quite rare that anyone we knew took anything harder. Today it's all different unfortuantely.

Parents do sometimes supply the booze and monitor the situation. The rationale behind it is that they'd prefer their kids consumed alcohol at a safe place and at a safe pace. Street drinking (of which we did a bit) can be potentially dangerous for a number of reasons.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 14th 2007 at 6:33 am.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
We're doing good thanks...I'm a "house-bitch" too. Seems to be the "in" thing. Lyn is the main bread winner and I top things up as and when with freelance graphic design work. (see our introductory post here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454172). We love the lifestyle too...including the moreporks! Ours are all in their twenties...yippeee!!! Will keep an eye out for you on here.
Come and see us when you come to Palmy...you are probably thinking..why go to Palmy???? I must be about your age...48? Became a dad REAL late in life. Come and see the most boring city on earth..allegedly!!!!!!!

See you soon maybe? we are off to the UK end of June until mid August...I return under protest!!!!!!!:curse:
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:33 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

i totally agree with you that the uk has got much worse over the past year.

I live in a nice area in the south of england far away from london and we hear quite regularly that someone has been knifed or beaten to death. friends of ours have been victims of 'happy slapping' where they got set upon and beaten up 'for fun'...how sick is that!!!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Its much easier to find bad stores when you pick from a population the size of the UK. NZ has the many of the same problems as the UK.

Guys i work with mentioned lots of underage drinking when they were growing up in NZ. Some of them knew people that'd go out for a night to get in to a fight.

One guy had some gang and drug problems which he managed to get himself out of and moved to the UK to get away from.

I wouldnt move to NZ expecting you wont find the same problems. If you move to the right area you may just not encounter them, much as you wouldnt in some areas of the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

For us there is the fear factor of saying something. Just down the road from us lives a family (I say family in the loosest term). It is a 4 bed terraced house, occupied by at least 7 people from varying ethnicity and age. The lady of the house wears a tag on her right ankle and all too frequently the police turn up because she's wondered too far from the house. Being a terraced house, the front garden is extremely small, yet they all seem to congregate in it at all hours of the day with the friends spilling out into the road, swearing, shouting, really quite un savoury behaviour, especially when your bringing the kids home from school. One of the kids, who it is quite obvious has been expelled from school and can only be 12 yrs old at most, quite openly smokes in the street whilst standing on cars, throws stones at windows and the other day managed to get the police, ambulance and fire service there all at once as he proceeded to set light to himself in the garden.
When you drive up the road, they'll stand in the road and glare at you as you try to go past. If the wind is blowing in the right direction you can smell the drugs and stuff there smoking. The police don't do anything when they turn up, so how as an individual do you deal with this. If you challenge them, you get abuse and the potential for possible violance and criminal damage to property.

This sort of behaviour is happening far to much in the UK and is one of the reasons why we are going. You can't look someone in the face in the UK without the fear of what might happen, the wrong look, the mis-interpreted gesture or word.

Fortunately i've just accepted an offer on my place, so hopefully it won't be long now.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
For us there is the fear factor of saying something. Just down the road from us lives a family (I say family in the loosest term). It is a 4 bed terraced house, occupied by at least 7 people from varying ethnicity and age. The lady of the house wears a tag on her right ankle and all too frequently the police turn up because she's wondered too far from the house. Being a terraced house, the front garden is extremely small, yet they all seem to congregate in it at all hours of the day with the friends spilling out into the road, swearing, shouting, really quite un savoury behaviour, especially when your bringing the kids home from school. One of the kids, who it is quite obvious has been expelled from school and can only be 12 yrs old at most, quite openly smokes in the street whilst standing on cars, throws stones at windows and the other day managed to get the police, ambulance and fire service there all at once as he proceeded to set light to himself in the garden.
When you drive up the road, they'll stand in the road and glare at you as you try to go past. If the wind is blowing in the right direction you can smell the drugs and stuff there smoking. The police don't do anything when they turn up, so how as an individual do you deal with this. If you challenge them, you get abuse and the potential for possible violance and criminal damage to property.

This sort of behaviour is happening far to much in the UK and is one of the reasons why we are going. You can't look someone in the face in the UK without the fear of what might happen, the wrong look, the mis-interpreted gesture or word.

Fortunately i've just accepted an offer on my place, so hopefully it won't be long now.
That sounds awful Simon, where in the UK?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Runaway is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: NZ Herald's front World page........

Originally Posted by Genesis
Been here 25 months, as I said NZ has its problems..LOTS of them, but and its a HUGE but...in the UK all the problems of life in inner city Northampton were in my face EVERY DAY!!!!

Here in my choice of neighbourhood and in my choice of town virtually ALL the problems I had on a daily basis are no longer bothering me. Zero crime in my neighbourhood, peace and quite, no pissed twats beating each other up outside my home, no youths hanging about outside my house being UTTERLY obnoxious, the prostitutes are no longer outside my house, the vodka swilling kids are gone too, so is the drug paraphanalia found at the end of my garden, no children have thrown stones at me since I got here, there's virtually no litter, my neighbours are not getting burgled every week, there's endless room to park.....space is something over here that is so wonderful, there's just so much empty space!!!!!!!

So NZ has met ALL our expectations and many, many more...for us life here just gets better and better. Here in NZ I have been afforded the opportunity to change the things I can and and have the ability to be more accepting of those things I cannot change.

NZ is utterly AWESOME, in sooooooooooooooooo many ways.
I really appreciated your post, excellent points. I am missing the UK and to be honest, struggling to settle. But your message has reminded me why we left and the reasons we chose NZ. Hopefully, a change of government will save the UK (a country in fast decline, I believe) but all the same, it is good to be in a country which values its citizens and morals.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

When you drive up the road, they'll stand in the road and glare at you as you try to go past
Run the buggers over then, they won't do it again
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:12 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spoonguy
The UK does have a lot of problems but I’d be careful at using anything that happens in London or the larger cities as typical of the UK. I don’t like a lot about London having lived here a couple of years and moved from the country. It’s completely different from East Anglia where I spent most of my life.

I’m planning on moving to NZ for work and a lifestyle change but it’s getting away from London more than the UK as a whole. There are plenty of nice places to live outside of the city. It can be frustrating that the Kiwis I work with here always judge the whole of the UK based on London.
except for those two teenage girls stabbed by her mother in Stretham, Ely yesterday and of course the Soham murders, and then there are the huge numbers of deaths on the fenland roads. Its becoming a very miserable place to live around here. Every day there is report of a rape, murder, stabbing, cars found in ditch, abducted prostitutes or youth 'foolhardery' - its terribly disappointing
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreamfish
except for those two teenage girls stabbed by her mother in Stretham, Ely yesterday and of course the Soham murders, and then there are the huge numbers of deaths on the fenland roads. Its becoming a very miserable place to live around here. Every day there is report of a rape, murder, stabbing, cars found in ditch, abducted prostitutes or youth 'foolhardery' - its terribly disappointing
And in new zealand they have news about a 15 year old boy indecantly assulting 7 and 8 year olds at a Christchurch school.

Most of the problems mentioned were London based, of course other places have problems too but London doesnt represent all of the UK. The population and situations in such a large city are unique.

I'm not saying that the UK doesnt have a lot of problems, but you wont notice the good points until you find out you dont have them any more. I think NZ is a great place but you need to move there because you like NZ, more than because you dislike the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
That sounds awful Simon, where in the UK?
I live in Belvedere, Kent, London Borough of Bexley.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Runaway
I really appreciated your post, excellent points. I am missing the UK and to be honest, struggling to settle. But your message has reminded me why we left and the reasons we chose NZ. Hopefully, a change of government will save the UK (a country in fast decline, I believe) but all the same, it is good to be in a country which values its citizens and morals.
I miss loads about the UK..who would n't after 44 odd years. Still, time to move on..you only get one shot and I am glad I have chosen the 2nd part of my 'play' on a different stage!! Where are you Runaway? While I love it here it has been very hard for me in many ways, becoming a househuband, giving up a career, giving up being the bread winner, missing stuff, etc, etc...BUT I have so many things here I could never have in the UK. The beach and skiing at my doorstep..SPACE EVERYWHERE..and the perfect environment for kids. No traffic, zero stress (outside my family tryst!!) and just a wonderful house in a perfect neighbourhood!! Its as good as it gets here. I really feel like I belong..never felt like that in the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I would imagine that many expats who return back to the UK were those who ran scared from it initially and moved away for negative reasons.[/QUOTE]
#

I moved to NZ because I was sick of the over crowded way of life, everything expensive, hoodie type, yobby, violent culture that was taking over. NHS in trouble, endless gridlock and personally I saw a nation in the midst of turmoil.

We considered, parts of europe, OZ, Canada and NZ. Been to all before except Canada. Chose NZ in the end. Because we could and I was sick of the UK. I had no idea what life would be like here permanently........just thought it had to be better than the UK. Thankfully I was right. Even with all NZ's problems..and it has a raft of them. They just don't impact upon me like the UK ones did, irking me on a daily basis.

I just wanted out of the UK. NZ was the best choice, we love it and I doubt if I ever would willingly return to live..unless 60 million people leave first.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
I would imagine that many expats who return back to the UK were those who ran scared from it initially and moved away for negative reasons.
#

I moved to NZ because I was sick of the over crowded way of life, everything expensive, hoodie type, yobby, violent culture that was taking over. NHS in trouble, endless gridlock and personally I saw a nation in the midst of turmoil.

We considered, parts of europe, OZ, Canada and NZ. Been to all before except Canada. Chose NZ in the end. Because we could and I was sick of the UK. I had no idea what life would be like here permanently........just thought it had to be better than the UK. Thankfully I was right. Even with all NZ's problems..and it has a raft of them. They just don't impact upon me like the UK ones did, irking me on a daily basis.

I just wanted out of the UK. NZ was the best choice, we love it and I doubt if I ever would willingly return to live..unless 60 million people leave first.[/QUOTE]

We left because where we lived in the UK was not right for us. We had a very limited social network and although I loved my job it wasn't nearly enough to keep us there. My Hubby & eldest child wanted to stay in the UK and just move areas there, which would have been way cheaper and way easier, I was of the opinion "In for a penny, in for a pound." If we were going to move and start over, what difference to make it a big move?!

Hubby (Kiwi) is finding it hard here, he's bored and finding fault with lots. The kids are finding it "cool, awesome and sweet as" so we're happy if they're happy. And I am soooo content with the whole deal it's sickening! Except for racism, which is my bug bear as can't understand why everyone can't just "get on?" (It's the Fairy side of me, Peace, Love and Happiness?!)

By all accounts we should be one of the stats that don't make it here in NZ as it wasn't really a unanimous decision, more my nagging, but I'm confident it'll prove to be right in the end. Now, where's that fingers crossed smiley?

(Oh, and our kids are out on their bikes to school, shops, we are on the beach, walking, cycling - and we are lazy so it just goes to show it does rub off and they do have more freedom!)
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by workingNOMAD

That is merely your perception and not neccassarily what others experience. Perhaps you lived in a crowded & deprived area?

I don't see hoodies and endless gridlock where I currently live and it is by no means affluent.

As for the NHS it is actually in credit now in terms of funding and I have always found access to free healthcare much better in the UK than NZ. But there again that's my perception!

I would hazard a guess that many of your negative perceptions came from the media. Did you read the Daily Mail by any chance?
Do you work for the Daily Mail perchance?!

I only ask as it's the second time you've mentioned it in this thread?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.