Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Better Late than Never! More Poms in the Hutt

Better Late than Never! More Poms in the Hutt

Old May 29th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice
Default Better Late than Never! More Poms in the Hutt

Hello people...

After three and a half years in New Zealand, we have just discovered this site... Doh!

It goes without saying that we are really happy here in Wellytown. (well, the Hutt Valley actually) We live in Riverstone near Upper Hutt. Since arrival back in Jan 2004 we have embarked upon a process of buying houses and flicking them on after a year or so only to plough the equity back in to the next one. It's an attempt at getting our mortgage down while the property market lets us...God know's how long that will be for though.

Anyway...enough about money and materialism... My name is Richard, I'm aprofessional freelance graphic designer and photographer by trade. I work predominantly from home. Back in the UK I worked for the Beeb for far too long, I went solo in 1990 and I now scratch a living doing TV graphics here in NZ. I also design for web, multi-media and print. However, most of my work still comes fom UK clients. Lyn is in education as a special needs consultant - what they call an RTLB here in NZ. She liaises with teachers and parents who have children with learning and behaviour problems.

We are both keen bikers! (Yes, sorry about that...some riff raff has infiltrated BE.com!!) We adore discovering NZ on the bike. All our kids and family are back in the UK. We came here to escape gridlock! It was a snap decision made easy by the fact that Lyn's parents have lived in Christchurch since the year dot!. Indeed, Lyn came over here with her parents on the "Captain Cook" as a ten pound Pom when she was six! She had returned to the UK to do a bit of OE when I met her (online) and we soon decided to return to NZ to start our lives again. I was living in Northamptonshire at the time, and Lyn was in Cumbria.

The immigration process was a breeze as Lyn was able to sponsor me as her "de-facto" partner, thus avoiding the points system.

In addition to the biking bug, I am also a keen musician. I play drums in a Wellington band called "The Soul Miners". We play regularly at clubs and bars across Wellington, in the Hutt and up the Kapiti Coast. Lyn is a fitness freak and frequents the local gym in Upper Hutt regularly. We live a relaxed life here in NZ. It's just the two of us at home. We haven't returned to the UK yet for a visit, but may do that next year.

So there you have it... a little bit about us.

If you care to take a look here:
http://homepage.mac.com/dicklaing/Menu8.html

..you will find images of our biking exploits in both the North and South Islands. The added bonus is that you'll get to see what we look like too!

Enjoy! And thanks for having us on board. We look forward to meeting new folk and maybe making new friends.

Richard & Lynda
Old May 30th 2007, 7:57 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Better Late than Never! More Poms in the Hutt

Hi there & welcome, cherry from BE also lives in your neck of the woods i think! great first post...but then you have had a few years to work on it
i'm heading over to Auckland in september, just wanted to say hi & i'm off now to have a nosey at your site
ceri
Old May 30th 2007, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by ceri75
...but then you have had a few years to work on it ... just wanted to say hi & i'm off now to have a nosey at your site ceri
haha... yes, my post took me three and a half years to type!!
Thanks ceri... nosey as much as you like. Let me know what you think to my photographic artistry.

Rich
Old May 30th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
haha... yes, my post took me three and a half years to type!!
Thanks ceri... nosey as much as you like. Let me know what you think to my photographic artistry.

Rich
Welcome, hope to be heading your way (Wellington) around august time...
Old May 30th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dick n Lyn,
we joined BE after we were already in NZ as well DOH x 2, but hey gives us more to talk about cos we is ere mate!

Loved your photos on your web pages...absolutely stunning.
Debbie
Old May 30th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi Dick n Lyn,
we joined BE after we were already in NZ as well DOH x 2, but hey gives us more to talk about cos we is ere mate!

Loved your photos on your web pages...absolutely stunning.
Debbie
Ha...so we are not alone in the dimwit stakes!! Thank you Debbie for your kind comments...you have exquisite taste, mate lol :-)