Nurses!

Old Aug 29th 2015, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

suzannew1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses!

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you able to register?

If you have degree level training then that is the first hurdle cleared....if not then you really need to sort that out first.
I'm in the process. I'm a few credits off. However I contacted the nursin
Old Aug 29th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Are you able to register?

If you have degree level training then that is the first hurdle cleared....if not then you really need to sort that out first.
I'm in the process. I'm a few credits off. However I contacted the New Zealand board of nursing who have replied stating that degree is not essential. So are they not telling the truth ? As a few people have said the same thing yet the board of nursing have said other wise. Confused! 😐
Old Aug 29th 2015, 6:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzannew1983
I'm in the process. I'm a few credits off. However I contacted the New Zealand board of nursing who have replied stating that degree is not essential. So are they not telling the truth ? As a few people have said the same thing yet the board of nursing have said other wise. Confused! 😐
You need to be qualified to what they consider is equivalent.....read the regulations.

Things have changed fairly recently and a lot of nurses are struggling to register both in NZ and Australia.

It is on a case per case basis.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

You need to be qualified to what they consider is equivalent.....read the regulations.

Things have changed fairly recently and a lot of nurses are struggling to register both in NZ and Australia.

It is on a case per case basis.
Have to hurry up and get this work done
Old Aug 29th 2015, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My wife is a nurse here in NZ.
She was a sister off ICU in a UK hospital when we came out with 20 years experience.
She applied for the registration before we arrived and that took around 3 months. The hardest part of it was getting all the documents from the UK school of nursing as it was many years since she had trained. Luckily they were found on microfiche in the archives!!!
However, that was before the rules changed and as far as I'm aware an overseas nurse needs a nursing degree in order to gain NZ registration now ?

My wife didn't work for a while after we migrated but after a year or so was ready to go back. Didn't want to entertain ICU, shifts and looking after a roster of mainly ladies again so looked at other options and decided on practice nursing. She'd kind of started to go this route in the UK and had done a few months work experience in a GP surgery locally and she paid for a few of the course privately so she could show she was working towards being an experienced practice nurse off her own back.
She carried this on in Wellington when we arrived and attended a few of the practice nurse courses which was a good way to get her foot in the door and talking to other practice nurses who were already in those posts.
She applied for a part time practice nurse job that was advertised in Karori but just missed out so decided to do a CV drop in all the other local surgeries nearby and was offered a few interviews and quickly landed a number of roles so she picked a permanent part time job. She was in that post around 13 months till we moved up to Tauranga.
She's not really struggled to find work here in the Bay Of Plenty, but she hasn't managed to land a permanent job as there just aren't many about. She's one of 5 casual practice nurses that are just used as relief covering 5 surgeries locally which are all run or owned by the same company. It works for the time being and at the moment she's getting enough work to tide her over.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Allie25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have a uk diploma in adult nursing, 6 years experience in the uk and got my NZ registration through a few months ago. It did take a while for my registration to come through & i had to send certified copies of my portfolio/study day certificates for the last 5 years. The nursing council considers your training & experience when making a decision on registration. A degree is not always needed.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie25
Hi
A degree is not always needed.
That is correct but you have to have had extra training/study/experience to take you to what is considered an equivalent level.