Nurse

Old Dec 28th 2014, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Debidoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse

It's a shame this thread went into a bit of a debate about nurse training etc .. I'm a nurse (with over 30 years experience) and now live in Palmy. I've also worked in Australia as a nurse. You will find that the nurses are better paid here in the public sector and in my opinion the work is less stressful than the UK. I prefer working here than in the UK although I moved into Occupational health Nursing about five years ago and now work in a very different role - although I still do and always will maintain my registration in all three countries. I don't think you will struggle to find work , however you may struggle to adjust as back in the uk you will have had more scope of practice. Best advice is to get a job here either public sector or private in your area of interest then see if you can branch off once you have learned how it works. It's the same for everyone coming here whether you are a nurse builder or plumber. There are some differences but getting a job is a good starting point then you can take it from there. don't be put off my negativity .. It's a great opportunity to work over here and if you don't like it you can always go back
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I came over from the UK with a shade under 2 years experience on a WHV - I walked straight into an acute mental health job and then looked around and found something I wanted and got that job reasonably easily too so now am looking to stay for good. Experience helps as do a willingness to work away from main centres to get your foot in the door.

I do think the general standard of training here is lower but there is literally no replacement for what you learn actually DOING the job so older and more experienced nurses are just as skilled as UK counterparts.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:29 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to the poster above who got touchy but it is certainly my husband's experience that the new grad nurses here are frequently useless; this isn't a dig at cultural differences or a pro-Brit observation. On a practical level, UK trained mental health nurses have done 2+ years of branch specific mental health training, whereas the NZ nurses have much much less. The nursing role here is slightly different too, particularly in MH where clinical teams are still very much consultant led and the nurse has a role that is less autonomous than in the UK.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded bourbon biscuit. In my experience the NESP/NETP year is actually equivalent to a UK student nurse in their 3rd year. Students here are on placement for a ridiculously short period of time (management placement is about 8 weeks for example) and only in the final placement do they actually work the shifts that qualified nurses work - the rest of it is 8-4 Mon-Fri. NESP/NETP nurses can't work nights and still have to attend classes and do papers. It could certainly be a better system than it is but I do think that once the nurses have gone through NESP/NETP they are experienced enough and confident enough to make good nurses. People can only train in the system they have after all.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

solonurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone......am back.....it was busy during xmas, so tired and we are still so so short. hope u all had a nice holiday. I will start looking 4 jobs next year.....i am not in a hurry, am just investigating. I do appreciate all the input. thanks again.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 5:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solonurse
Thanks everyone......am back.....it was busy during xmas, so tired and we are still so so short. hope u all had a nice holiday. I will start looking 4 jobs next year.....i am not in a hurry, am just investigating. I do appreciate all the input. thanks again.
Have you actually registered in NZ?

If not......is your nursing qualification at degree level? If not then you may have difficulty getting registration.

Things have changed a lot recently both in NZ and Australia.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

solonurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Have you actually registered in NZ?

If not......is your nursing qualification at degree level? If not then you may have difficulty getting registration.

Things have changed a lot recently both in NZ and Australia.
Thank you Grayling, I have already answered back to Lauranotts in this thread about my registration.

Yes i have already registered and I am degree trained. It took about 6 months to get it and the issue was with NMC who delayed. It is all good tho as I was not really in a hurry.

Thank you again. I was just finding out about the differences between private and public hospital pay.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

As well as NZ educated nurses having to complete 3 years of practicum placements/assignments/exams, they also have to pass a state final exam which is the part which gives them their registration.

They can gain a Bachelor degree in nursing, but if they fail the state final exams they can not practice as a registered nurse. The state finals are managed directly by the Nursing Council of New Zealand. I am aware of many failures in the latest state finals (results came out this month) who are unable to take up places in NETP/NESP programs.

Cheers

Gill