Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

nother UK goverment rip off

nother UK goverment rip off

Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:26 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default nother UK goverment rip off

My partner is a NZ citizen and I am still a UK citizen. We both have to renew our passports in the next year so I have been looking into the costs and how to do it.

For a New Zealand citizen it costs NZ$153 to renew a passport if you live in NZ or GBP76 if you live in the UK (at $2 to the pound thats almost exactly the same)

For a UK citizen it costs GBP77 if you live in the UK BUT NZ$334 if you live in NZ (at NZ$2 to the pound thats over TWICE as much)

If the NZ government can do it for the same cost, why cant the UK government?

Or is this just another example (like non increasing state pensions) of the UK government taking advantage of its expat citizens.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nother UK goverment rip off

This has come up before. I think the NZ passport has fewer pages and is valid for less time, so it is not a straight comparison.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:01 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
This has come up before. I think the NZ passport has fewer pages and is valid for less time, so it is not a straight comparison.
He is comparing the costs of a local vs a distant renewal for the UK and NZ passports, not the cost of a NZ vs UK passport.

OP, I donĀ“t know how fast the NZ renewal in London is but the NZ renewal of a UK passport takes 5 days door-to-door so I suspect there is a fairly local (ie in NZ) processing and printing. If NZ are shipping theirs around in the diplomatic bag or whatever maybe the costs are lower but the time longer???
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
NakiMan wasn't making a comparison between passports rather between the residential status of the holders of the passports...

Incidentally, how many pages does a Kiwi passport have and how long does it last?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
He is comparing the costs of a local vs a distant renewal for the UK and NZ passports, not the cost of a NZ vs UK passport.
Beat me to it!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
My partner is a NZ citizen and I am still a UK citizen. We both have to renew our passports in the next year so I have been looking into the costs and how to do it.

For a New Zealand citizen it costs NZ$153 to renew a passport if you live in NZ or GBP76 if you live in the UK (at $2 to the pound thats almost exactly the same)

For a UK citizen it costs GBP77 if you live in the UK BUT NZ$334 if you live in NZ (at NZ$2 to the pound thats over TWICE as much)

If the NZ government can do it for the same cost, why cant the UK government?

Or is this just another example (like non increasing state pensions) of the UK government taking advantage of its expat citizens.
And why both Kate and I are cashing in both our public service pensions to get them tax free and to ensure we actually get something from them. I have grave doubts if there will be a pot to piss in with Kate's case as she would have had to wait 18 years to see a penny..and a taxed penny at that.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
NakiMan wasn't making a comparison between passports rather between the residential status of the holders of the passports...

Incidentally, how many pages does a Kiwi passport have and how long does it last?
Don't know how many pages, but it last for five years
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Don't know how many pages, but it last for five years
Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

NZ passport has 49 pages and lasts 5 years.

Uk passports has 30 pages and lasts 10 years.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
NZ passport has 49 pages and lasts 5 years.

Uk passports has 30 pages and lasts 10 years.
Thanks Bevs, you'd have to do a lot of travelling to fill 50 pages in 5 years!!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing about the NZ one is that you cannot add time remaining on the passport onto your new passport if you renew early. The UK will allow you to carry over up to 9m if you renew early but NZ won't.
My OH has to have a PP for work at all times [NZ citizen]. Since some countries require 6m time remaining on your passport this means his 5year PP only really lasts for about 4 years and 4-5months. He then renews and gets one lasting 5 years from the date of renewal.

All in all the UK passport is no more expensive, in fact I worked out once that there wasn't a lot of difference in cost when you take into account the 'time carried over' aspect of a UK passport [assuming you need a valid working PP at all times of course...] That is wherever you renew it.

Last edited by Persephone; Jun 27th 2011 at 3:11 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:47 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

But once you factor in the cost of flights back to the UK, accommodation and living expenses whist your application is being processed. The NZ cost is much better value.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
And why both Kate and I are cashing in both our public service pensions to get them tax free and to ensure we actually get something from them. I have grave doubts if there will be a pot to piss in with Kate's case as she would have had to wait 18 years to see a penny..and a taxed penny at that.
Got brittania to get my pension over for me even though when i asked i got told i couldnt do it o well at least i got some extra cash now