Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Not Long Now!!!!!!

Not Long Now!!!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Not Long Now!!!!!!

Hi all, well the removals are booked for Monday the 8th and our flights are on Friday 12th. Not long now. My question is this - BIKES. The kids have a bikes, but not the cleanest by far. We are thinking of bringing them with us, but how strict are they on this issue. Are the bikes cheaper over there. I was thinking about buying new ones when we get there. Here they range from £99.00 up over for a decent one (reebok etc.). Heres another one for you all, TOOLS. How clean do they have to be. Are they bothered about rust etc.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:41 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Long Now!!!!!!

Maz, I lost the will to live over the cleaning - by the time I got to the bikes I just gave them a quick wipe with a flashwipe! As for tools we didnt even clean them.
When the MAF man opened our tent half of the last campsite flew out into our garage and he just laughed. Honestly - I think a lot of it is down to luck on the day.
He was at pains to let us know that they weren't demons trying to 'get you'.

Dunno about how much bikes cost - sorry.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

A montain bike will cost you about the same(lower end of the range). I've seen some for $5000-so depends how much you are into it. We bought all our bikes off of "trade me".
As for tools-are we talking garden or spanners etc.
I brought over a fairly large tool kit( mechanic by trade) and had no problems at all-although I spent a complete day cleaning them. As for garden tools we left them all in the UK and bought new here. We had heard horror stories about MAF getting really into them, but know of people who just cleaned them and got them in.

Good luck.

Lee
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Not Long Now!!!!!!

Good luck with your removals on Monday.
I hope the weather stays good for your arrival.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:46 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz1
Hi all, well the removals are booked for Monday the 8th and our flights are on Friday 12th. Not long now. My question is this - BIKES. The kids have a bikes, but not the cleanest by far. We are thinking of bringing them with us, but how strict are they on this issue. Are the bikes cheaper over there. I was thinking about buying new ones when we get there. Here they range from £99.00 up over for a decent one (reebok etc.). Heres another one for you all, TOOLS. How clean do they have to be. Are they bothered about rust etc.

Hope it all goes well. Sent you some Karma for those stress levels

Sarah
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck with the move Maz. Hope all goes to plan. We aren't far behind you:scared:
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:23 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry got no info about the bikes but wanted to wish you all the very best on the removals and will be thinking of you on the 12th.

keep us updated on your progress
Take care Mandie

PS...where you headed for once out there?

Last edited by Mandie; Jan 7th 2007 at 10:24 pm. Reason: added the PS question
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for today Maz1 - although you probably won't have time to be reading forums!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:07 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Bikes should be fine so long as there are no seeds or dirt trapped in the tyre tread. As for tools they should be ok, if they're used in the garden just clean off any dirt, a quick wipe over with WD40 may help to stop them from rusting. MAF showed no interest at all in ours and headed for the bikes, christmas tree and tent.