Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North island or south island

North island or south island

Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Natandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really niceNatandandy is just really nice
Default Re: North island or south island

Big thank you for all your advice and info on both islands, I guess we are all different and peoples likes and dislikes can vary. I guess there is good and bad on both island. My oh has had a job offer in the south (invercargill) right at the bottom it's sounds very quiet but very beautiful, only an hours drive to Queenstown which I believe is the place for extreme action and fab views.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natandandy
We our planning the big move to nz but not sure north or south island can you tell me good and bad point on both.

We believe the bay of Island is so beautiful and the warmest is this true.

Hope anyone can help
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty. good climate, not too wet, cold or hot. Lovely beaches, great for kids of all ages. Not too far from AKL Job wise probably not as many opportunities as the big cities but if you're retired and still able to drive it's ideal. it's growing faster than I would like but still not too busy traffic wise. If you like the buzz of city life it's not for you. Don't be tempted to buy a house in the sticks because it has lovely views and a bit of land. it usually doesn't work especially if you were living in an urban or town envirinment in the UK. We've been her nearly 3 years and have seen the mistakes people make. Take a look at the Tauranga website it's very informative. The South Island is amazing but a bit too quiet for many Brits. Christchurch will be a long time recovering, sadly.
PS I do miss the accessibility of AKL as it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. A train service would make all the difference. I'm used to living an hours train journey from London, but hey! you can't have it all.
Hope this is helpful to others.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We are at the top of the South Island. Better climate on the South Island but isolating.

I'd go with Jay and Bill.

Tauranga.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natandandy
only an hours drive to Queenstown which I believe is the place for extreme action and fab views.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UT...ed=0CBcQ9w8wAA

Invercargill, New Zealand
Queenstown, New Zealand
2 hours 22 mins
116.1 mi /187km - State Highway 6

There's no motorway.