British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   North island or south island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/north-island-south-island-768082/)

Natandandy Aug 12th 2012 3:56 pm

North island or south island

We our planning the big move to nz but not sure north or south island can you tell me good and bad point on both.

We believe the bay of Island is so beautiful and the warmest is this true.

Hope anyone can help

Catchafire Aug 12th 2012 8:14 pm

Re: North island or south island

Not really much detail for us to form a reply on, but if it's warm weather you are after, it does not get hotter than Alexandra in the South Island.

LivinginWelly Aug 12th 2012 10:28 pm

I would go north island:) Although after having lived in Christchurch for 9 months during all the quakes I guess I wouldn't have a fair opinion! I can just say that we live in Wellington and from the moment we arrived we absolutely loved it. much more going on, more cosmopolitan, friendly people! Lots of things to do, magnificent scenery everywhere. The downside is only the temperamental weather, lots of wind and horizontal rain in the winter, but we are totally used to it now and after living in christchurch it is insignificant!

Mark Smith Aug 12th 2012 10:32 pm

We have lots of rain in Chch too, if thats your thing :D

Genesis Aug 12th 2012 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Natandandy (Post 10223259)
We our planning the big move to nz but not sure north or south island can you tell me good and bad point on both.

We believe the bay of Island is so beautiful and the warmest is this true.

Hope anyone can help

What would you do for work up there? Indeed the BOI is unbelieveably beautiful AND the weather is better AND there are less 'quakes up that way as someone has mentioned Chch. Personally I think the South Island (from what I have seen) is more the 'dream' Nz that people are after. Sure there are more jobs in the North and maybe a tad more action but the South Island is just bloody awesome ..and EVEN less populous. You really should come see and spend maybe 3 weeks in each to try to give you an idea. Of course the only way you will ever know is by living it. And if one does not do it for you after say 2 yrs you can always move eh?

Genesis Aug 12th 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10223508)
Not really much detail for us to form a reply on, but if it's warm weather you are after, it does not get hotter than Alexandra in the South Island.

Warm weather essential? Maybe you should try the Island to our left (a viewed from the moon).

jmh Aug 13th 2012 12:47 am

I've heard a few Brits say they love Dunedin, but it's not to my taste. Northland is lovely but I don't think there are many jobs up that way. Depends a bit on what your work situation is I guess.

Justcol Aug 13th 2012 12:53 am

unless you plan to pay your bills with lovely views I'd look somewhere else other than the Bay of Islands.
as for weather, its still winter, I'm in Auckland and have all the doors open to let a nice breeze through,
If I sit in the sun i can feel it burning after about 2 or 3 minutes...how warm do you want

Snap Shot Aug 13th 2012 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10223804)
unless you plan to pay your bills with lovely views I'd look somewhere else other than the Bay of Islands.
as for weather,.........
If I sit in the sun i can feel it burning after about 2 or 3 minutes...how warm do you want

+1

barnsleymat Aug 13th 2012 2:52 am

Don't believe all the hype about how cold it is on the South Island, we've just moved from Auckland to Dunedin and there is a change in temperatures but the way people on the North Island (whinging kiwi's) go on about how cold it is down here is way more than the actually truth. We got here in mid May so we've done almost the full winter. It's no where near as cold and wet as a winter in Yorkshire. If you believe the jafa's you'd move down here expecting it to look like the south pole, there's been the occasional frost on a morning and night time is cool but hardly ever sub zero. Just like in Auckland we've needed to warm the house some nights.

For us being able to buy a lovely house was enough to leave Auckland, for what we've paid for a house down here would only get you a rotten dog kennel in a rough area in Auckland.

Unforunetly there's no difference in beer prices between both Islands, it doesn't matter where you go you'll want to cry seeing how much they charge for a small glass of beer.

Mark Smith Aug 13th 2012 2:56 am

Try the Mosgiel tavern Mat! Pretty cheap Speights and the Barmaid is fun to wind up!

Justcol Aug 13th 2012 3:56 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10223934)
for what we've paid for a house down here would only get you a rotten dog kennel in a rough area in Auckland.

Amen to that

jmh Aug 13th 2012 4:23 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10223934)
It's no where near as cold and wet as a winter in Yorkshire.

That's the point I was trying to make. Compared to Yorkshire I imagine it feels positively balmy. The OP may love it.

dannigirl Aug 13th 2012 7:54 am

Shhhh barnsleymat....they'll all be down South if you tell them how good it is! I think some people do overhype the cold, would rather have proper seasons and dry heat than sub-tropical(rain) :sneaky:

jmh Aug 13th 2012 8:55 am

True dannigirl, in terms of weather alone, I prefer the Canterbury summers. The humidity in Auckland can be a bit wearing. I used to spend my childhood summers in South Canterbury and Christchurch and they were beautiful.