British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Noise pollution in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/noise-pollution-new-zealand-440373/)

Littletoe Apr 8th 2007 5:14 am

Re: Noise pollution in New Zealand

Hello

I'm really pleased to see that governing bodies are taking an interest in the noise pollution. Did you know that if someone plays music loud after 10pm, the police can give three warnings and then confiscate their stereo system? I fully support that. I'm not against people having a good time, but I have two young children and I want to spend my evenings in peace. When we lived in the North Shore a few years ago the noise of boy racers was dreadful, and there didn't seem a solution to the problem. My husband when he was a kid used to go to industrial areas with his mates put oil on the roads to slide around on. Its just ridiculous, and I hope to god my daughters aren't exposed to that. One of the obvious solutions is to rise the age of driving, no way are 15 year olds ready for the responisbilty of driving and also scrap the restricted license things. Kids drive all the time past their limit (time wise) and its really hard to keep tabs on. I'm sure most kids wouldn't risk losing their learners licence and breaking more laws by driving on their own at night. Maybe the parents should take more accountability for their kids hooning around as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd my two cents in! I certainly agree that NZ does have a problem with young drivers hooning around. I'm really anal about noise though!! That's why I'm moving to a house thats surrounded my land, miles away from civilisation!

Campbells Apr 8th 2007 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4614234)
Nope, you have got it all wrong... no utopia here at all. ChCh is full of P labs, teenagers play hip hop while canoodling on Sumner beach. We all spend hours commuting to work, and the full 5km of motorways is jammed full of idiots, none of whom give way. There is graffiti everywhere, on every fence and blank piece of wall. As for jobs and wages, the mayor has given up and is paying for people to take the bus to the airport.

You would absolutely hate living here in ChCh. Please reconsider Australia instead.

:rofl:

Ok, I understand the attraction for you now :p

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4614459)
Ok, I understand the attraction for you now :p

I can't do anything about the hoons/boy racers but the neighbours in our first house here used to have the music thumping all the time. It drove me crazy and one night I snapped and went round to have words!
I was so surprised at their willingness to understand my point of view that we are still good friends now :thumbsup:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:23 am

I have to agree about the noise. In our case, I think it is mainly down to having no double glazing. I had forgotten just how much noise it filters out. I love the street we live in, I love our house but other people's noise really pisses me off :thumbdown: The chap across the road plays his stereo loudly quite often, especially at the weekends - I don't want to moan, I want to ask him to come over here and hear it for himself but I haven't got quite that fed-up (or brave) YET. next door had visitors for a week or so - the kids were on their tramploline at 6.45am and it is about 6ft from our bedroom window - incredibly selfish as far as I am concerned! We have been in NZ 6 months now and this is my biggest moan. In the grand scale of things, it isn't too bad, just the most irritating thing so far. If that is alll I have to moan about, life can't be too bad :thumbup:

lapsed kiwi Apr 8th 2007 7:30 am

For once, I find myself agreeing with soupie. I think the roads would be a lot better here if the govt introduced:
- exhaust noise checks at WOF
- emission checks at WOF
- compulsory insurance - if only to price the kids out of the Jap super-car market

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:30 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4614498)
I have to agree about the noise. In our case, I think it is mainly down to having no double glazing. I had forgotten just how much noise it filters out. I love the street we live in, I love our house but other people's noise really pisses me off :thumbdown: The chap across the road plays his stereo loudly quite often, especially at the weekends - I don't want to moan, I want to ask him to come over here and hear it for himself but I haven't got quite that fed-up (or brave) YET. next door had visitors for a week or so - the kids were on their tramploline at 6.45am and it is about 6ft from our bedroom window - incredibly selfish as far as I am concerned! We have been in NZ 6 months now and this is my biggest moan. In the grand scale of things, it isn't too bad, just the most irritating thing so far. If that is alll I have to moan about, life can't be too bad :thumbup:

We found .... me and my neighbour that the foundations of the house carried the bass vibrations and that was the annoying thump, thump, thumping. Not much we could do about that really ... but they did turn their music down and we remained friends :)

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614507)
We found .... me and my neighbour that the foundations of the house carried the bass vibrations and that was the annoying thump, thump, thumping. Not much we could do about that really ... but they did turn their music down and we remained friends :)

The chap with the stereo lives across the road! Like your neighbour, it's not the volume, it's the bass that's the problem. And the fact he likes to listen to it outside :thumbdown:...... for hours........:thumbdown: I have considered 'if you can't beat them, join them', but what to play?:confused: I know, I'm off out to buy some Nana Mouskourie (?) and some Barry Manilow, that should see him off, if I don't top myself first!

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:42 am

Ooooo now there's a challenge lol ... how about the birdy song :rofl: Or Crazy frog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614527)
Ooooo now there's a challenge lol ... how about the birdy song :rofl: Or Crazy frog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some Black Lace perchance? :thumbup:

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:49 am

Superman :rofl:

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:51 am

Lets do the time warp again lol ... don't know if the sound will pee them off but the dance moves sure will scare them :rofl:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614546)
Lets do the time warp again lol ... don't know if the sound will pee them off but the dance moves sure will scare them :rofl:

I'm warming to this plan! Just for a change though, he is quiet - must be away for the long Easter weekend. This gives me time to finesse my play-list and let him have it next time he starts up! :rofl:

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 8th 2007 9:10 am

Funny this topic should come up. Students across the road have the BIGGEST stereo in the world, and love a bit of loud music. T and I don't mind that much, as it is always current stuff and we, well I, actually enjoy it.

Next door neighbour today took umbrage to the afternoon's musical selection, and went postal. Students visibly papped themselves, and I've never seen them move so quick to turn it off.

Made oi laff :rofl:

Campbells Apr 8th 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4614518)
The chap with the stereo lives across the road! Like your neighbour, it's not the volume, it's the bass that's the problem. And the fact he likes to listen to it outside :thumbdown:...... for hours........:thumbdown: I have considered 'if you can't beat them, join them', but what to play?:confused: I know, I'm off out to buy some Nana Mouskourie (?) and some Barry Manilow, that should see him off, if I don't top myself first!

Bagpipes ;) Get's em every time and if you are going to go over make sure your hubby does so in a kilt. If nothing else the Easter Haggis will terrify them.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great Easter

Lenmil Apr 8th 2007 10:54 am

I remember young kids doing burn outs in our streets (Toorak Ave, Avonhead) one night during a party. No one seemed bothered. It only happened that one night, but there were loads of them. Mind you they were better behaved than here in the UK in that respect. Another reason for double glazing then.