British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Noise pollution in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/noise-pollution-new-zealand-440373/)

Campbells Apr 7th 2007 12:50 am

Noise pollution in New Zealand

Noise pollution in NZ

New Zealand is a beautiful country but lacks structure in many cases, such as the boy racer problem they have.

This problem exists in many countries and in countries like Australia they have taken measures to stamp it out. It seems that New Zealand is starting to face this problem area and the first step is to introduce noise level controls on vehicles. :D :D

Have a look at this website http://www.noiseoff.org.nz/index.html which offers links to NZ Land Transport website

This is from their homepage …

Right now, hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders are regularly disturbed by the noise epidemic. The problem extends far beyond homeowners and road users – it now impacts on business and tourism. Restaurants and Cafes are losing customers. Angry tourists are checking out of hotels.

Interesting ………………

Apple12 Apr 7th 2007 1:55 am

Re: Noise pollution in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4610710)
Noise pollution in NZ

New Zealand is a beautiful country but lacks structure in many cases, such as the boy racer problem they have.

This problem exists in many countries and in countries like Australia they have taken measures to stamp it out. It seems that New Zealand is starting to face this problem area and the first step is to introduce noise level controls on vehicles. :D :D

Have a look at this website http://www.noiseoff.org.nz/index.html which offers links to NZ Land Transport website

Right now, hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders are regularly disturbed by the noise epidemic. The problem extends far beyond homeowners and road users – it now impacts on business and tourism. Restaurants and Cafes are losing customers. Angry tourists are checking out of hotels.

Interesting ………………

I wait with interest to see who is going to rise to the challenge of debating with our resident troll.

Campbells Apr 7th 2007 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4610818)
I wait with interest to see who is going to rise to the challenge of debating with our resident troll.

There is no challenge. The post is here as a matter of interest to others. If you are not interested go and start a new topic about New Zealand regarding the taste of cornflakes & sausages. You know the real deep stuff.

You may notice that there is a website involved quoting that this IS a problem for thousands of New Zealanders as well as NZ businesses. You may also note that the Land Transport department are also involved. :ohmy:

What is your point here ? Apart from sheepshagger & troll any other names you want to throw ? Really you are just embarrassing yourself mate.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apple12 Apr 7th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4610834)
What is your point here ? Apart from sheepshagger & troll any other names you want to throw ?

Just out of curiousity, where in any of my posts has the word sheepshagger been written?

danny.f Apr 7th 2007 12:35 pm

Noise pollution in NZ

Interesting ………………

Mate,please can't you find anything positive to say...at all? It's almost as if you scroll through all the media looking for something negative to post,then try to light the fuse.
There is no longer any sign of neutrality in your posts or threads,and people's lack of response must be seen as a message-we're tired of your moaning. Pack it in-it's boring-and don't bother with your 'look,he's got tainted glasses on' bollocks, we see your name on a thread,and know what's coming.
In fact I'm slightly pissed off I've fallen for it myself.

Suicide Sheep Apr 7th 2007 1:57 pm

Yes I'm absolutely sure NZ has a Vehicle noise problem, But so does the town I live in.:( While visiting NZ I saw 8-9 boy racer typed drainpipe exhausted cars, I was there for three weeks. I see that many a day here.:frown:
We may be under the low limit imposed by eurocrats, but why bother the police are far too busy with their radar guns to noise test anyone.:confused:

Beachcombers Apr 7th 2007 8:18 pm

Noise pollution in NZ

Interesting ………………

Zzzzzzzzzz.

More unsolicited 'advice' directed to no one in particular. I guess it's a public service, kind of like the stinky bag lady on the bus who is convinced that the government is trying to POISON HER and wants to warn us too.

Campbells Apr 7th 2007 9:34 pm

To-date 120 views and 6 replies which are from the same-old brigade with the same old material.

Have you actually considered that your over protective attitudes on this forum may lead thinking folk to actually wonder why you are so anti people posting about things that are actually happening in New Zealand. It could very well be that your attitude is the negative one especially when it is repetitively the same members having a go at me time after time.

We have a hoon problem where we live and it is not a bad area. We have a couple in our neighbourhood that drive around here like it is their own personal racing track.
We have a wee lad and do not like the fact that these kids are potential death on wheels and there seems that nothing is getting done about it. We have ongoing deaths in the area and it is a boy racer problem.

The fact that I have posted a thread pointing to something is getting done about it you still want to paint negative. I think you’re pushing it a bit far.

Perhaps you lot are actually intimidating people that are actually considering New Zealand as a destination from asking questions as they may just pop a raw nerve with the same-old-bunch.

The way you lot carry on says to me that you feel so strong about anybody posting information that may be seen as negative towards New Zealand that you actually are trying to fool yourselves into some sense of false security.

Your applying of pressure and attacks against me resemble that of Mugabe where he controls the media and nothing negative is allowed to be said against him and his party. Is that the kind of picture you wish to paint of New Zealand?

I have said before, if you don’t like my posts don’t read them but these ongoing attacks at me for posting my opinion ( which I am entitled to) is really only de-grading the tone of this forum and ultimately the image of the mentality in New Zealand.

I don’t think people are going to find a country inviting if they are not allowed to question or discuss topics they feel pertinent. Consider the other side of your actions.

Happy Easter and have a lovely day. :D

P18PPS Apr 7th 2007 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4612648)
To-date 120 views and 6 replies which are from the same-old brigade with the same old material.
We have a hoon problem where we live and it is not a bad area. We have a couple in our neighbourhood that drive around here like it is their own personal racing track.
We have a wee lad and do not like the fact that these kids are potential death on wheels and there seems that nothing is getting done about it. We have ongoing deaths in the area and it is a boy racer problem.

:D

Move then!!

Campbells Apr 7th 2007 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4612716)
Move then!!

Thank you for your well thought out strategy.

This will for sure address the problem.

Geelong Gent Apr 8th 2007 12:08 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4612716)
Move then!!

Just not to Australia

Apple12 Apr 8th 2007 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 4613201)
Just not to Australia

Nooooooo, Australia is great, Australia is fine, Australia will solve all of his problems ;)
Please Campbells, consider Australia. I am sure that there will be loads of people there who will take you seriously and march upon Parliament for you :p

Campbells Apr 8th 2007 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4613230)
Nooooooo, Australia is great, Australia is fine, Australia will solve all of his problems ;)
Please Campbells, consider Australia. I am sure that there will be loads of people there who will take you seriously and march upon Parliament for you :p

Here we are again, you said something negative about New Zealand, just F Off and I am the one that gets labelled shallow? Good debating skills there. Why don’t you lead by example and go and start a thread discussing the different type of wallpaper available in New Zealand and the flying ducks you can hang on your wall.

Hey maybe we’ll consider Christchurch as there in no problems there at all. No gangs, No P factories, No Hoons and of course plenty of jobs, low cost housing and fantastic salaries. Not sure if there is no stabbings there? Hey and maybe the Kiwi’s have invented wallpaper for leaky homes.

Hold me back, I’ve found utopia. ;)

Don’t forget to take your Kiwi tablets ………….. :thumbup:

Geelong Gent Apr 8th 2007 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4613230)

Thanks Apple:sneaky: NOT!!:(

Apple12 Apr 8th 2007 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4613302)
Hey maybe we’ll consider Christchurch as there in no problems there at all. No gangs, No P factories, No Hoons and of course plenty of jobs, low cost housing and fantastic salaries. Not sure if there is no stabbings there? Hey and maybe the Kiwi’s have invented wallpaper for leaky homes.

Hold me back, I’ve found utopia. ;)

Nope, you have got it all wrong... no utopia here at all. ChCh is full of P labs, teenagers play hip hop while canoodling on Sumner beach. We all spend hours commuting to work, and the full 5km of motorways is jammed full of idiots, none of whom give way. There is graffiti everywhere, on every fence and blank piece of wall. As for jobs and wages, the mayor has given up and is paying for people to take the bus to the airport.

You would absolutely hate living here in ChCh. Please reconsider Australia instead.

:rofl:

Littletoe Apr 8th 2007 5:14 am

Hello

I'm really pleased to see that governing bodies are taking an interest in the noise pollution. Did you know that if someone plays music loud after 10pm, the police can give three warnings and then confiscate their stereo system? I fully support that. I'm not against people having a good time, but I have two young children and I want to spend my evenings in peace. When we lived in the North Shore a few years ago the noise of boy racers was dreadful, and there didn't seem a solution to the problem. My husband when he was a kid used to go to industrial areas with his mates put oil on the roads to slide around on. Its just ridiculous, and I hope to god my daughters aren't exposed to that. One of the obvious solutions is to rise the age of driving, no way are 15 year olds ready for the responisbilty of driving and also scrap the restricted license things. Kids drive all the time past their limit (time wise) and its really hard to keep tabs on. I'm sure most kids wouldn't risk losing their learners licence and breaking more laws by driving on their own at night. Maybe the parents should take more accountability for their kids hooning around as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd my two cents in! I certainly agree that NZ does have a problem with young drivers hooning around. I'm really anal about noise though!! That's why I'm moving to a house thats surrounded my land, miles away from civilisation!

Campbells Apr 8th 2007 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4614234)
Nope, you have got it all wrong... no utopia here at all. ChCh is full of P labs, teenagers play hip hop while canoodling on Sumner beach. We all spend hours commuting to work, and the full 5km of motorways is jammed full of idiots, none of whom give way. There is graffiti everywhere, on every fence and blank piece of wall. As for jobs and wages, the mayor has given up and is paying for people to take the bus to the airport.

You would absolutely hate living here in ChCh. Please reconsider Australia instead.

Ok, I understand the attraction for you now :p

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Campbells (Post 4614459)
Ok, I understand the attraction for you now :p

I can't do anything about the hoons/boy racers but the neighbours in our first house here used to have the music thumping all the time. It drove me crazy and one night I snapped and went round to have words!
I was so surprised at their willingness to understand my point of view that we are still good friends now :thumbsup:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:23 am

I have to agree about the noise. In our case, I think it is mainly down to having no double glazing. I had forgotten just how much noise it filters out. I love the street we live in, I love our house but other people's noise really pisses me off :thumbdown: The chap across the road plays his stereo loudly quite often, especially at the weekends - I don't want to moan, I want to ask him to come over here and hear it for himself but I haven't got quite that fed-up (or brave) YET. next door had visitors for a week or so - the kids were on their tramploline at 6.45am and it is about 6ft from our bedroom window - incredibly selfish as far as I am concerned! We have been in NZ 6 months now and this is my biggest moan. In the grand scale of things, it isn't too bad, just the most irritating thing so far. If that is alll I have to moan about, life can't be too bad :thumbup:

lapsed kiwi Apr 8th 2007 7:30 am

For once, I find myself agreeing with soupie. I think the roads would be a lot better here if the govt introduced:
- exhaust noise checks at WOF
- emission checks at WOF
- compulsory insurance - if only to price the kids out of the Jap super-car market

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:30 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4614498)
I have to agree about the noise. In our case, I think it is mainly down to having no double glazing. I had forgotten just how much noise it filters out. I love the street we live in, I love our house but other people's noise really pisses me off :thumbdown: The chap across the road plays his stereo loudly quite often, especially at the weekends - I don't want to moan, I want to ask him to come over here and hear it for himself but I haven't got quite that fed-up (or brave) YET. next door had visitors for a week or so - the kids were on their tramploline at 6.45am and it is about 6ft from our bedroom window - incredibly selfish as far as I am concerned! We have been in NZ 6 months now and this is my biggest moan. In the grand scale of things, it isn't too bad, just the most irritating thing so far. If that is alll I have to moan about, life can't be too bad :thumbup:

We found .... me and my neighbour that the foundations of the house carried the bass vibrations and that was the annoying thump, thump, thumping. Not much we could do about that really ... but they did turn their music down and we remained friends :)

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614507)
We found .... me and my neighbour that the foundations of the house carried the bass vibrations and that was the annoying thump, thump, thumping. Not much we could do about that really ... but they did turn their music down and we remained friends :)

The chap with the stereo lives across the road! Like your neighbour, it's not the volume, it's the bass that's the problem. And the fact he likes to listen to it outside :thumbdown:...... for hours........:thumbdown: I have considered 'if you can't beat them, join them', but what to play?:confused: I know, I'm off out to buy some Nana Mouskourie (?) and some Barry Manilow, that should see him off, if I don't top myself first!

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:42 am

Ooooo now there's a challenge lol ... how about the birdy song :rofl: Or Crazy frog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614527)
Ooooo now there's a challenge lol ... how about the birdy song :rofl: Or Crazy frog :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some Black Lace perchance? :thumbup:

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:49 am

Superman :rofl:

sky Apr 8th 2007 7:51 am

Lets do the time warp again lol ... don't know if the sound will pee them off but the dance moves sure will scare them :rofl:

karonious Apr 8th 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4614546)
Lets do the time warp again lol ... don't know if the sound will pee them off but the dance moves sure will scare them :rofl:

I'm warming to this plan! Just for a change though, he is quiet - must be away for the long Easter weekend. This gives me time to finesse my play-list and let him have it next time he starts up! :rofl:

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 8th 2007 9:10 am

Funny this topic should come up. Students across the road have the BIGGEST stereo in the world, and love a bit of loud music. T and I don't mind that much, as it is always current stuff and we, well I, actually enjoy it.

Next door neighbour today took umbrage to the afternoon's musical selection, and went postal. Students visibly papped themselves, and I've never seen them move so quick to turn it off.

Made oi laff :rofl:

Campbells Apr 8th 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4614518)
The chap with the stereo lives across the road! Like your neighbour, it's not the volume, it's the bass that's the problem. And the fact he likes to listen to it outside :thumbdown:...... for hours........:thumbdown: I have considered 'if you can't beat them, join them', but what to play?:confused: I know, I'm off out to buy some Nana Mouskourie (?) and some Barry Manilow, that should see him off, if I don't top myself first!

Bagpipes ;) Get's em every time and if you are going to go over make sure your hubby does so in a kilt. If nothing else the Easter Haggis will terrify them.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great Easter

Lenmil Apr 8th 2007 10:54 am

I remember young kids doing burn outs in our streets (Toorak Ave, Avonhead) one night during a party. No one seemed bothered. It only happened that one night, but there were loads of them. Mind you they were better behaved than here in the UK in that respect. Another reason for double glazing then.

danny.f Apr 8th 2007 10:44 pm

Have you actually considered that your over protective attitudes on this forum may lead thinking folk to actually wonder why you are so anti people posting about things that are actually happening in New Zealand. It could very well be that your attitude is the negative one especially when it is repetitively the same members having a go at me time after time.

The fact that I have posted a thread pointing to something is getting done about it you still want to paint negative. I think you’re pushing it a bit far.

Perhaps you lot are actually intimidating people that are actually considering New Zealand as a destination from asking questions as they may just pop a raw nerve with the same-old-bunch.

The way you lot carry on says to me that you feel so strong about anybody posting information that may be seen as negative towards New Zealand that you actually are trying to fool yourselves into some sense of false security.

Your applying of pressure and attacks against me resemble that of Mugabe where he controls the media and nothing negative is allowed to be said against him and his party. Is that the kind of picture you wish to paint of New Zealand?

I have said before, if you don’t like my posts don’t read them but these ongoing attacks at me for posting my opinion ( which I am entitled to) is really only de-grading the tone of this forum and ultimately the image of the mentality in New Zealand.

I don’t think people are going to find a country inviting if they are not allowed to question or discuss topics they feel pertinent. Consider the other side of your actions.

Is this not in the same sense that I am entitled to my opinions too? I happen to feel that at least I have a more balanced view to my postings-you continually post to the negative-I was pointing out that you appear to have nothing positive at all to say,which would suggest you are living a life of misery and pain,sleepless nights,always on the guard for hoons,which would in turn suggest you are mentally unstable for apparently doing nothing to improve your life here,other than to moan to this site,which has no policing powers at all over the situations you describe.
Furthermore,you say that my/our posts are 'pushing it a bit far',and then compare me to Mugabe in Zimbabwe!! I mean-please!!

But anyway-in true mental Cambells style,hope you had a lovely Easter mate!!:D :thumbsup: :rofl: :)

Beachcombers Apr 9th 2007 12:27 am

Campbells mate, you sound like a broken record. More pomposity, condescension and precious whining...........

New Zealand is not without it's problems, everyone on this forum is probably aware of most of them. But you see a cloud in every silver lining, you seem to revel in misery. Mate life is just to short.

You and I live in a very different New Zealand. I wonder if your "love" of this country is somewhat tinged with resentment, I can really feel it emanating from you.

Is it because you could not get into Canada and New Zealand had to be some runners up choice for you?

If you got a problem with hoons, go sort it out! Have you talked to them? Your other neighbours? Nope, what you do put a hysterical post here, quoting some very dodgy sources or just plain making stuff up! Example...

Interesting ………………

So this has been backed up by a study? Are "hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders" blocking their ears with cotton wool?

Oh and by the way, this is all my own opinion, so don't take it all personally.

P18PPS Apr 9th 2007 1:02 am

Trying to find a positive out of undoubtedly a problematic issue, at least the petrol junkies in their zooped up noisey suspension lowered fat exhaust cheap asian imports actually look after their vehicles, keep them clean, parade them with pride up and down the likes of Mission Bay .... me thinks if it was England they'd been clad from head to toe in rip off burberrry with ridiculous silver chains hanging off them swearing like a guy richie film whilst riding around in YOUR car that they'd just clonked you over the head at the last set of traffic lights you dared to stop at..

My advice to any newbie who is worried about the sound of racers going up and down your road either:
buy a house on a cul-de-sac;
buy a house on a road with loads of speed bumps;
buy a rear section house;

Unfortunately for a large proportion of ex-pats on this website even though we may have PR, unless we wait a few years and decide to become new zealand citizens you won't have the right to vote, therefore you won't have a local MP to write to, so you really are in the hands of either locals to make change on your behalf, or to make some very calculated decisions to ensure your future ear safety.

;)

happynz Apr 9th 2007 2:03 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4616543)

Unfortunately for a large proportion of ex-pats on this website even though we may have PR, unless we wait a few years and decide to become new zealand citizens you won't have the right to vote, therefore you won't have a local MP to write to, so you really are in the hands of either locals to make change on your behalf, or to make some very calculated decisions to ensure your future ear safety.

;)

Actually, as a permanent resident you do have the right to vote after one year of residency.

(Where's the pedantic smilie?)
:)

P18PPS Apr 9th 2007 2:04 am

Really?? How's that work and how do you register then?? Can you still vote in the UK too??

The Weezer Apr 9th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4614234)
We all spend hours commuting to work, and the full 5km of motorways is jammed full of idiots, none of whom give way.

You would absolutely hate living here in ChCh.

Actually...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10433282

happynz Apr 9th 2007 2:13 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4616650)
Really?? How's that work and how do you register then?? Can you still vote in the UK too??

How do I know if I am eligible to enrol?

Basically, you are qualified to enrol if:

* you are 18 years or older
* you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident and
* you have lived in New Zealand for one year or more without leaving the country

Try this link...

http://www.elections.org.nz/enrolmen...ailed_faq.html

As far as voting in the UK...I don't have the foggiest. I would think the UK must have some procedure for overseas Brits.

Apple12 Apr 9th 2007 2:14 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer (Post 4616659)

Thanks Weezer, all information to persuade Campbells to stay up north is much appreciated.

Of course it goes without saying that there is no congestion at all anywhere in Australia, so I am sure that Campbells will feel much more at home there. No graffiti either, or hip hop. Teenagers are locked away from the beach and wouldn't dream of being cheeky to their elders. And with reference to this particular thread, nobody, not even racy nana's, get their kicks from loud exhausts. Yep, Oz is a much better proposition.

;)

Campbells Apr 9th 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 4616239)
Is this not in the same sense that I am entitled to my opinions too? I happen to feel that at least I have a more balanced view to my postings-you continually post to the negative-I was pointing out that you appear to have nothing positive at all to say,which would suggest you are living a life of misery and pain,sleepless nights,always on the guard for hoons,which would in turn suggest you are mentally unstable for apparently doing nothing to improve your life here,other than to moan to this site,which has no policing powers at all over the situations you describe.
Furthermore,you say that my/our posts are 'pushing it a bit far',and then compare me to Mugabe in Zimbabwe!! I mean-please!!

But anyway-in true mental Cambells style,hope you had a lovely Easter mate!!:D

You are entitled to your opinion. You feel that you have a “ more balanced view”.:D

Obviously I didn’t create the website , and obviously Land Transport of New Zealand think there is a problem but you don’t. Why don’t you do something about it if Land Transport is wasting tax payers money .:confused:

I have plenty of positive things to say about New Zealand you chose just to read the problems of NZ and as I stated earlier this thread is actually positive because something is getting done about it.

The compare to Mugabe is freedom of speech. If you don’t like my posts simply don’t read them or comment on them it is that simple.

Hope you had a great Easter too. ;)

PS: I don’t see disagreement as mental.

Campbells Apr 9th 2007 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 4616465)

If you got a problem with hoons, go sort it out! Have you talked to them? Your other neighbours? Nope, what you do put a hysterical post here, quoting some very dodgy sources or just plain making stuff up! Example...

So this has been backed up by a study? Are "hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders" blocking their ears with cotton wool?

Oh and by the way, this is all my own opinion, so don't take it all personally.

The quote you refer to is from the website I referred to, so sorry to disappoint you but it is from other people living in New Zealand. In fact they have done something about it and working with Land Transport NZ .

I am sorry you feel Land Transport are dodgy sources. Is this the same NZ you are talking about ?

I repeat I didn’t create the website or for that matter Land Transport so why don’t you “practice what you preach” and take it up with them.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hope you had a great Easter.