Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

No turning back now

No turning back now

Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future
Default No turning back now

Flights booked, landing 10 July.
About to book shipping container.
About to buy a car to put in it.
In the process of having a life laundry.
All hard work, but will be worth ti!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:24 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No turning back now

Well done Simon. Not long to go now!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, all will be fine where you heading?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you had to own a car for 12 months before you were allowed to ship it
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

CRBGLH is an unknown quantity at this point

Ermmm - I think you will find you need to have owned the car for 2 yrs (or 12 months) b4 you can just 'stick it in the container'. you will need to pay a minimum of 20% and more....you need to check that one out!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:37 am
Just Joined

CRBGLH is an unknown quantity at this point

You can ship it but you will get stung at the receiving end AND there is also a clause to prevent you from selling it within 2 yrs of arrival
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

Were heading to Auckland.. Bayswater at first.

The car is 15% I believe, which is fine, and its to use not to sell so not worried about having to hold onto it .... I think I'm going to want to anyway

Didn't mention that I also have major house renos at this end ... 6 New floors to lay, rewire, lots to re plaster then paint it all. Should be a busy month!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

don't for get to put your details on the Arrivals and Departures sticky
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Container is booked now, three weeks til we get on the plane.
Feel like I haven't slept for about a month!

Still have 6 new floors to lay, chimmney to get fitted and an entire house to repaint, as well as pack.

Oh, and a car to get stripped and cleaned.
Oh, and 9 muddy bikes to scrub til they're shiny.

If we make this it'll be a miracle!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonR
Container is booked now, three weeks til we get on the plane.
Feel like I haven't slept for about a month!

Still have 6 new floors to lay, chimmney to get fitted and an entire house to repaint, as well as pack.

Oh, and a car to get stripped and cleaned.
Oh, and 9 muddy bikes to scrub til they're shiny.

If we make this it'll be a miracle!
Isn't that what friends are for......to help out with the essential jobs
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Simon - where in Surrey do you live ? We left Woking in Feb 2011 to come to NZ.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

We live in Dorking. Lovely place, I'll miss it. Won't miss commuting to London though.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 1:36 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonR
We live in Dorking. Lovely place, I'll miss it. Won't miss commuting to London though.
Yup, my husband feels the same way. Woking to Camden and back by public transport

These days it's a 25 minute walk to where he works. No more exobitant season ticket fares for an increasingly bad service.

Denbighs wine estate near Box Hill is very nice though.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Yes, Denbies and Boxhill are great, also the much quieter Holmbury Hill, where 'here comes the sun' was written, plus all the other miles and miles of fantastic forests in every direction.

It's a shame that people here aren't that ourdoorsy - they don't know what they're missing. As a mountain biker, the countryside in the UK, and more importantly the access to it is the thing I think I'll miss the most.