Newbies!

Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Tanmi01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Newbies!

Hi All,

Not sure where to start with this... Very New to Forums!
My wife & I (plus two kiddies, 2.5 years and 4 year old) are flying out on the 23rd July to start a new life in New Zealand - Scary! I have a job based in Lower Hutt and we have been searching the web for ideas of where would be best for us to be based. Any Ideas on where to look and where would be best for children based on the ages above?
My new company will house us for the first 8 weeks, but then we are on our own eeek!

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Michael
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:26 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies!

Welcome to the NZ forum... I can't help, live in Chch, but the peeps you need will be here in the blink of an eye...
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

My two brothers live in Upper Hutt, its more rural than Lower Hutt, but with a good central location, schools, social activities etc. If you like the more rural area, there are some lovely lifestyle blocks and most of the school buses go past the end of your drive. Prices do vary considerably according to area, so look on trademe to get an idea of prices etc.

Good luck.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tanmi01
Hi All,

Not sure where to start with this... Very New to Forums!
My wife & I (plus two kiddies, 2.5 years and 4 year old) are flying out on the 23rd July to start a new life in New Zealand - Scary! I have a job based in Lower Hutt and we have been searching the web for ideas of where would be best for us to be based. Any Ideas on where to look and where would be best for children based on the ages above?
My new company will house us for the first 8 weeks, but then we are on our own eeek!

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Michael
Kia Ora and welcome to our wee and cosy NZ forum.
I can't help at all as am on the other island. The Mainland Hopefully some of that lot up Norf will be along shortly .

Have a good browse around this place and get stuck in & post to anything you feel might be of interest.

regards
BEVS
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we're 20-25mins drive away from Lower Hutt so sorry cant help out with the area. we live in a small community in Pukerua Bay, 3 shops being a book shop, hairdressers and a corner store. main focus is the full primary school. bit further north you have Paraparaumu and Waikanae which are both lovely area's.
It depends how far away from your work and how you commute as to where the best place to look are.
I would say your best bet would be to rent for 6mths and have a good look around area's and get a feel for them before making a commitment like a mortgage or a longer term rental
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

A big hello & from me too. All rather daunting this emigrating thing but it will all fall into place . Plenty of friendly people on here who will be happy to help you with any questions, worries etc.

When do you arrive in NZ? I will add you to our July 2012 UK to NZ thread .

I'm just north of Auckland, so can't help you with your question but you've had some input already.

As BEVS said, have a good look around the place & if you've got any problems just give us a shout.

Best of luck with all your plans
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

We land in Wellington on the 28th July.

Thanks for the nice responses so far - much appreciated!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We land in Wellington on the 28th July.

Thanks for the nice responses so far - much appreciated!
Either your flight is very long or you're stopping off somewhere on the way .

And you've been added to my list.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Jul 5th 2012 at 11:22 pm. Reason: To add a wee bit more
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Stopping off in Sydney for a few days; just looking at hotels now....
Old Jul 8th 2012, 9:21 am
Account Closed

Stopping off in Sydney for a few days; just looking at hotels now....
Oh lucky you. On my to do list. Been to the airport twice & saw the opera house & bridge from the plane

OH used to live there in the very dim & distant past.
Sure you'll enjoy it & a great way to break the jet-lag a wee bit.