Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand economy - The future.

New Zealand economy - The future.

Old May 11th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand economy - The future.

Sorry, I didn't mean Singapore in the literal sense, I meant it to mean NZ could have become a small, technologically advanced nation with an extremely dynamic workforce and business environment.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Another great example of the forward thinking and great infrastructure planning that Kiwis are good at.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10571849

Always settling for the cheaper options.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on!! That original tunnel option would have been a monumental waste of money. The new options will save up to $1.4Bn of your and my tax money. OK, so they may have to demolish an extra 500 houses - what's the betting they will mostly be horrible old uninsulated shacks anyway? So, we spend 150M on replacing the houses with decent modern ones, and everyone's a winner.

I would quote this as an example of common sense and financial prudence.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: New Zealand economy - The future.

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
C - do you have a source for this statistic that you could link to please? Thanks
Sorry mate, did find data on a quango website that said 51% but can't find it again now .

Other websites suggest that I may have overstated.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:05 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Oh come on!! That original tunnel option would have been a monumental waste of money. The new options will save up to $1.4Bn of your and my tax money. OK, so they may have to demolish an extra 500 houses - what's the betting they will mostly be horrible old uninsulated shacks anyway? So, we spend 150M on replacing the houses with decent modern ones, and everyone's a winner.

I would quote this as an example of common sense and financial prudence.
I agree with the outcome and your reasoning ( any reason to repalce most of the shacks here would be a good reason) but I suspect they got to the descsion by happy accident rather than design
Old May 13th 2009, 5:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Sorry mate, did find data on a quango website that said 51% but can't find it again now .

Other websites suggest that I may have overstated.
It probably is overstated - in my day (the 80s) probably only 20% of people went to Uni and even though that % has increased maybe closer to 50% now (if you count polytechs as tertiary) the overall % of total population will still be lower than that.

The more interesting stat to me is whether more graduates go overseas permanently than non grads. Personally I suspect not, but I doubt there are good stats on that.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
I agree with the outcome and your reasoning ( any reason to repalce most of the shacks here would be a good reason) but I suspect they got to the descsion by happy accident rather than design
Yep - it was cheaper, and National have decided its Labour's seat to lose at the coming by-election.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:34 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Zealand economy - The future.

Originally Posted by southerner
The more interesting stat to me is whether more graduates go overseas permanently than non grads. Personally I suspect not, but I doubt there are good stats on that.
Assuming all graduates are equal, I suspect you'd find that many graduating from academic courses would leave.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Assuming all graduates are equal, I suspect you'd find that many graduating from academic courses would leave.
But many of grads who go to UK/Europe/US do return. My view is that permanent leavers typically end up in Australia, and that group is well represented by tradies and other non grads.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

But many of grads who go to UK/Europe/US do return. My view is that permanent leavers typically end up in Australia, and that group is well represented by tradies and other non grads.
Yes, that is true to an extent .

I was thinking about people in medical professions who are in such high demand in other parts of the world that we really aren't training enough staff to cover our own needs. In fact we are dragging staff in from across southeast asia in a desperate bid to fill positions. In fact it's so bad with doctors that we lose more than we graduate (cap. at 300) each year!

I've had a look at collecting some facts:
...25% of doctors leaving New Zealand within three years of graduation...

...we are already seeing a 29% increase in doctors wanting to locum in Australia since rates have been capped in New Zealand...
Source
Roughly one in four tertiary-qualified New Zealanders leave the country to live overseas, more than any other country in the developed world.

In all, 15 per cent of native born Kiwis live elsewhere, with three-quarters of those picking Australia as their home of choice.

New Zealand remains a low wage economy, with salaries on average 30 per cent lower on home soil [Australia].
Source
Old May 14th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - it was cheaper, and National have decided its Labour's seat to lose at the coming by-election.
Some interesting figures - the more expensive option would require a 20c regional fuel tax for 30 years to cover the cost, or an additional $500 rates per Auckland region household for the next 35 years.

Also, the "reserve" was reserved decades ago as a motorway corridor. The locals have been enjoying using it in the meantime, bonus for them.

To me, the only reason the twin-tunnel option was ever proposed was because this was Aunty Helen's electorate - political sleaze at its worst. And the opposition to the sensible option is pure nimbyism. I like the AA's idea of paying the house owners the GV for their house plus a small premium - I bet loads of people would be very happy to sell their houses for GV just now.